Yanks get Tanaka 7y/$155M

isestrex

You cited lifetime WHIP when you posted your incorrect number. Now that you are easily proven wrong, you decide to cherry pick. As the record shows, Nova's only competition for the bottom of that list is Norris. Troll on.

Some trolls aren't worth the time, and the ignore function works very well for those. :)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That new insider article says the Yanks are still a 4th place team? Any idea where that simulation puts us?

The AL East is the most balanced division in baseball. It could have the Orioles 5th or 1st depending on what it's looking at.

That new insider article says the Yanks are still a 4th place team? Any idea where that simulation puts us?
5th
Running the simulation a second time, with the Tanaka boost now built-in, the outlook for the Yankees improves, but not to the degree that it thrusts the franchise back into the first tier of playoff contenders. The Tanaka Yankees simulate to an 83-80 average finish, which keeps them behind every other AL East team other than Baltimore, and gives them a 12.0 percent shot at the division, 29.4 percent playoff odds and 2.6 percent odds of winning the World Series.
source - ESPN Insider

Yeah, well. Last year ESPN had Toronto first, Baltimore 4th, and Boston 5th, right?

Yeah, but this year I may be tempted to agree with the Orioles in the cellar prediction. No higher than 4th unless everything breaks our way.

That said, even with the upgrades, the Yanks are still old and their infeed is just terrible. Their entire success will be based on their pitching.

The thing that bugs me the most about the Yankees spending is that a lot of their contracts would cripple many teams and yet they can spend so freely and just not worry about the outcome as much as the normal MLB team. In 2016 they will be paying 25 million to a 35 year old CC Sabathia who already looks like he is slowing down, 22.5 million to a recently injury-prone 35 year old Mark Teixeria, 15 million to a 38 year old injury waiting to happen Carlos Beltran, 21.4 million to a 32 year old Jacoby Ellsbury who only played in 18 games in 2010 and 74 in 2012, and 17 million to a 31 year old Brian McCann who has played in 102 to 128 games in the last 3 years. These players could all be injured or just regress at any time and yet I don't see it really hurting them. If any of these players were on the Orioles with these contracts I would be worried as hell as we just can't seem to eat this kind of money. We just have to learn to be like the Rays and build within and try to keep our own players (which I hope we can do) because the Yankees will always spend, always.

Yeah, but this year I may be tempted to agree with the Orioles in the cellar prediction. No higher than 4th unless everything breaks our way.

That said, even with the upgrades, the Yanks are still old and their infeed is just terrible. Their entire success will be based on their pitching.

I just have a hard time believing that because the Orioles did not have a lot "break their way" last year. The pitching was below league average (some would say that is where it should have been), they blew a ton of saves and saw massive drop offs in two key offensive positions. They had no DH to speak of and weak below league average production out of second base and LF.

Yes, Machado and Davis were great stories, but those were about the only things that really "broke right" for the Orioles last year. Everything else was either a set-back or pretty much where you would have expected it and they hovered around 10 games over .500 for most of the year.

They are essentially returning the same team, John Bernhardt over at SOE said we are a loser this offseason, but he also concedes that we are essentially returning the same team to the field as last year and there is little reason to expect us to be significantly worse than the 2013 model.

Unless the Orioles have another MVP candidate ready to pop out of the woodworks for 2014, there's no particular reason to believe next year's Orioles team should be any better than last year's team -- because that's precisely what it is. ... But then, at least Baltimore hasn't been going around actively making themselves worse.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66925396/mlb-offseason-winners-and-losers-so-far

The actively making themselves worse comment was made in comparison to the Tigers.

Frankly I think that is a very fair assessment.

I just have a hard time believing that because the Orioles did not have a lot "break their way" last year. The pitching was below league average (some would say that is where it should have been), they blew a ton of saves and saw massive drop offs in two key offensive positions. They had no DH to speak of and weak below league average production out of second base and LF.

Yes, Machado and Davis were great stories, but those were about the only things that really "broke right" for the Orioles last year. Everything else was either a set-back or pretty much where you would have expected it and they hovered around 10 games over .500 for most of the year.

They are essentially returning the same team, John Bernhardt over at SOE said we are a loser this offseason, but he also concedes that we are essentially returning the same team to the field as last year and there is little reason to expect us to be significantly worse than the 2013 model.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66925396/mlb-offseason-winners-and-losers-so-far

Frankly I think that is a very fair assessment.

I agree with this assessment. I also think that 85 wins makes us a 4th place team. Remember, we tied with the Yanks at 85 wins last year, so essentially one could say we also tied for 4th as well.

I agree we aren't much worse, and I think improvements from Kakes, Wieters, pitchers growing up, and a healthy Reimold can make us better than last year. But I also don't expect 53 bombs from Davis. I think we are what we are...around 85 wins, for 4th place in the division.

SJ I don't know if we have a MVP candidate but we have several guys capable of getting very close to that level. Nick has had a 7.5 win season and is still capable of a 5 win season I would think. AJ has near MVP ability. MW was one of the all time great prospects so a huge year is possible. RF could put up a 5 win season. Manny putting two halves like 13 1st half. Young has been an impact bat in the past. Henry and Reimold both have huge upsides. Now none of these are terribly likely but one or two happening is really possible.

All in all think we are no worse then last year's team and have some real upside.

He put the Yankees over the luxury tax. If AROD is reinstated next season, the Yankees are in for five years of max penalty.

As for their spending, here's what Hal had to say.

"We did the same thing in '08. We had a lot of money come off the payroll and we put just about every cent of it back in. That's what the fans expect, that's what we know they expect and that's what has to be done if you want to be a contender every year."

What a unique perspective. Ownership that understand the fan base; gives them what they expect; reinvests in the team; and puts a contending team on the field each year.

They said all along they would not keep to the $189 million goal if it meant that their on field product was not going to be a post season contender. So he pays the contracts and pays MLB the penalty for doing so.

As for their spending, here's what Hal had to say.

"We did the same thing in '08. We had a lot of money come off the payroll and we put just about every cent of it back in. That's what the fans expect, that's what we know they expect and that's what has to be done if you want to be a contender every year."

What a unique perspective. Ownership that understand the fan base; gives them what they expect; reinvests in the team; and puts a contending team on the field each year.

They said all along they would not keep to the $189 million goal if it meant that their on field product was not going to be a post season contender. So he pays the contracts and pays MLB the penalty for doing so.

The Yankees reported an operating profit of $1 million for their team, compared to $31 million for the Birds.

Archived