Source: O's working on Fernando Rodney...

Bazooka Jones

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Dan has 18 or so marbles left and he can sign a relief pitcher with Rodney's talent (a 99mph heater and a great offspeed pitch) and a starter, I don't care how much he pays either player. The team will be better.

If you don't see that, there's no point in arguing with you.

If you have 18 "marbles" and you give 6-7 to Rodney, you're left with 11-12 to give to someone else. Who's left in starting pitching the market who'll cost 11-12 "marbles" per year? Arroyo? Do Rodney and Arroyo make the team better? Or would a couple of non-closer relievers and, say, Jimenez or Santana be a more significant improvement?

You really don't care who those "marbles" go to, or how significant an improvement they represent, as long as the team improves to some kind of degree, however minimal? You're right, we're probably done.

If you have 18 "marbles" and you give 6-7 to Rodney, you're left with 11-12 to give to someone else. Who's left in starting pitching the market who'll cost 11-12 "marbles" per year? Arroyo? Do Rodney and Arroyo make the team better? Or would a couple of non-closer relievers and, say, Jimenez or Santana be a more significant improvement?

You really don't care who those "marbles" go to, or how significant an improvement they represent, as long as the team improves to some kind of degree, however minimal? You're right, we're probably done.

You live in fantasy land. Jimenez or Santana. What team do you follow? How have you not heard "no major free agent acquisitions" or "no more than 3 years for a pitcher" or "don't want to surrender the draft pick'?

You live in fantasy land, part II. Every team in baseball has a closer. But you don't think the position is necessary. You'd rather close by committee and "save" 3 pitchers every game for the last 3 innings. Like that's even remotely possible over the course of 162 games.

Let's put this in perspective:

What's more embarrassing to the organization? The player getting arrested for a DUI or domestic abuse or him doing a silly celebration after a win?

Do you also have a problem with the outfielders doing that jump after a win? What about Chris Davis picking up Nate McLouth like a 2 year old? What about storming the field, altogether?

I think it is all embarrassing. Obviously domestic abuse should be contract cancelling. To answer your question, the storming the field, picking up a player and even the outfielders jump, seem to be much more team oriented. I don't like them but I can excuse them a little. The crap Rodney reeks of a look at me mentality that sickens me. To each his own. I happen to find it embarrassing for him and his team.

So instead of spending big on starting pitching, we should spend slightly less big on 37 year old bandaids to account for our inadequate starting pitching?

Makes perfect sense.

I never said that. Good starting pitching will make an average bullpen much more effective. I'd much rather sign a starter, but the only starter that I want is AJ Burnett, and that is probably not going to happen. If it came down to Rodney or nobody, then yes, I will take Rodney. But each decision is not made in a vacuum.

And Rodney ain't exactly writing his own tickets here. He has no leverage whatsoever. He will basically have to sign for less than the 2/12 that Balfour just got today. If we sign him for 1/5 or 2/10, I'm fine with that. I think he'll perform similarly to JJ's 2013 at 1/2 the price.

Archived