Schoop a big, strong man

Slade-OH

Looks like Schoop could regain his prospect status after all. I was getting worried after his average numbers in Bowie and Norfolk, and the back injury. Its likely the O's will want Schoop to lose weight if he wants to continue playing 2B. Im not sure there are very many 230lb, 2B in the majors.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought they were high on Flaherty. What's your prediction on where he winds up? I believe you are correct regarding Hardy.

I don't know. Flaherty might be our first baseman in a year or two. Never can have too much MLB talent in my book. And I like Schoop.

Looks like Schoop could regain his prospect status after all. I was getting worried after his average numbers in Bowie and Norfolk, and the back injury. Its likely the O's will want Schoop to lose weight if he wants to continue playing 2B. Im not sure there are very many 230lb, 2B in the majors.

If you are prone to back pain, carrying extra weight is not wise.

I'm not sure about back pain or chronic back pain. He had a stress fracture in his back last year. Apparently the Orioles trainers thought strengthening his legs and just overall would help. Whatever back condition he had, he certainly didn't lay off the weights this offseason.

What would cause a stress fracture in your back? Is it impact or was it too much lifting?

Cano is supposedly 210 and 6' tall. That isn't far off 6'2" and 230.

BTW, am I the only one that thinks Flaherty looks like Bob Denver (Gilligan)

with a goatee in the pic posted by Dan-O

Lol, I was thinking the same thing!

And Flaherty's value is a utility guy, IMHO. Don't get the love of him. His defense in 2012, as I recall, was average. Yes, he appears to have played good defense last year. But the bat? Very unproven, and if proven, streaky would be the upside explanation.

I hope Schoop takes the job ASAP. And he would certainly be a better future 1B candidate than Flaherty.

That is part of the reason he isn't a second baseman. As some of us have been saying for years.

I've always thought that Schoop should be given a look as a LF. The Orioles have an All-Star, in Manny at 3rd, and possibly, JJ at short for the next 3-4 years, if he re-signs. Schoop continues to grow into his body, as witnessed by the stress fracture he had last year. He's always had a strong lower body, but now he has filled out, considerably, in his upper body.

He quickly is outgrowing the prototypical mold that you look for in a 2B. He is better suited as a 3B, but why mess with something like Manny and JJ, if it's not broke?

So, if he is agile enough to play 2B, has the arm to play 3B, and the potential to hit 20-30 homers a year, why not try him out in LF?

Regardless, I think Schoop is going to be an X-factor for us this year and be a very special player in the bigs.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Archived