Buck: Nellie will Play LF Against Lefties, At least

BillySmith

I find that hard to believe. Moreso, as someone else said, I think there was an understanding when Cruz signed that he'd get some OF time. The fact that Young looks strong so far, just plays into that.

I was being sarcastic, hence the second sentence.

While I have never liked Nolan's chances of making the team out of ST it is way too early to be making proclamations.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems really smart to bench a 2.5 WAR guy whose main value is his glove in favor of a 2.0 WAR guy whose main value is his bat.

I get the oddest feeling this is more about making Cruz happy then it is putting out the best team against LH pitching.

Odds are good that the difference in defense would more then make up the difference in offense between Lough and the DH.

Yep, smells like vet friendly Buck.

Cruz certainly stands to make more next offseason if other teams think he's kind of, sort of, occasionally still an OFer and DH...and not just a DH. That might have been part of the calculus that was done in re: reaching an agreement on such a "cheap," one year deal.

Part of me wondered about this when the deal was made. I guess we have our answer now.

I find that hard to believe. Moreso, as someone else said, I think there was an understanding when Cruz signed that he'd get some OF time. The fact that Young looks strong so far, just plays into that.

I'll reserve judgement until I see just how much of a butcher Cruz is in LF.

This is what I have been thinking. Cruz turned down better offers from TEX and SEA because he would be mostly a DH. BAL offered him time in LF. It does give Young a better chance, but he is still competing with Pearce who is a better OF and also plays 1B. BTW would you be upset if Nick played LF 30 % of the time?. His numbers in the field are worse than Cruz' the last 5 years. That's not to say Cruz is all that good just that Nick isn't any better.

This is what I ave been thinking. Cruz turned down better offers from TEX and SEA because he would be mostly a DH. BAL offered him time in LF. It does give Young a better chance, but he is still competing with Pearce who is a better OF and also plays 1B. BTW would you be upset if Nick played LF 30 % of the time?. His numbers in the field are worse than Cruz' the last 5 years. That's not to say Cruz is all that good just that Nick isn't any better.

We are all resigned to Nick being in the outfield.

I was kinda hoping the Lough's range would limit the amount of ground Jones and Markakis had to cover.

Yep, smells like vet friendly Buck.

If Cruz is happy and productive its good for the O's. The man has hardly ever DHed in his career. 31 games in 804 games played over 9 years. If Buck can find a way to get him productive at DH half time he will be doing a good job.

We are all resigned to Nick being in the outfield.

I was kinda hoping the Lough's range would limit the amount of ground Jones and Markakis had to cover.

Lough will start 2/3 of the time and come in for late inning defense along with Pegeuro in RF hopefully. I would hope that Buck will DH both Nick and Crush to keep them fresh, and also sit Cruz to keep him from getting injured.

I'd gather most of the butcher comments are based on the play in the WS (I've seen a lot worse). It (the butcher label) might be warranted but I never thought it when I watched Cruz play against us. Yeah, Nicks numbers are just as bad but some of the same people make excuses for him.

For the record I don't think he is quite at the "Butcher" level. He is much more at the Nick solidly below average level.

Lough will start 2/3 of the time and come in for late inning defense along with Pegeuro in RF hopefully. I would hope that Buck will DH both Nick and Crush to keep them fresh, and also sit Cruz to keep him from getting injured.

You really think Buck will pull Cruz (or Nick) for a defensive replacement?

How many times did he pull Roberts in 2012 or 2013?

I'd gather most of the butcher comments are based on the play in the WS (I've seen a lot worse). It (the butcher label) might be warranted but I never thought it when I watched Cruz play against us. Yeah, Nicks numbers are just as bad but some of the same people make excuses for him.

And I am one of them. Nick has not been healthy for two years. Lets see how he looks in the field this year before we bury the man.

Archived