Jones not in lineup for Cardenales again...

JTrea81

This is exactly what churchill said

"Be surprised if a deal isn’t announced by Thursday. Don’t be surprised if a deal is announced officially tomorrow afternoon.

But they did remove him once. And he went back in. At the very least, the Mariners believe they are very close.

Still, the latest I’m getting is that McPhail wants a fourth player. Jones-Tillman-Sherrill on the table as the Mariners best and final offer.

Not sure whether the fourth player will happen or not, but it won’t be a premium guy like Triunfel or Clement."

Is Bavasi in your pocket or Are you him???? :rolleyes:

Its ok to tell us Mr. B:002_sbiggrin:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"January 27, 2008 3:57 PM

Bedard-Jones deal going down

Posted by Geoff Baker

Adam Jones has left his Venezuelan Winter League team and flies to Baltimore tomorrow morning to take a physical so he can be dealt to the Orioles in exchange for pitcher Erik Berdard. No word yet on how many players going Baltimore's way.

Jones did not mince words when he spoke to a reporter from Diario Panorama in Venezuela today. We have a relationship with the reporter and paper and they have graciously supplied us with quotes from the interview with Jones.

"I received a call from Seattle saying that is no more playing for me and I can't do anything about that,'' Jones said. "I leave tomorrow morning...It sucks. I want to play. This is Game 4 of the finals and I really want to be there for my team, but it's something that all the guys understand. I really want to play, but I can't."

On the actual deal itself: "(Bill Bavasi) called me yesterday and told me the news. I’ve got to go to Baltimore tomorrow morning and handle things there. I'm the centerpiece of the deal on the Mariners side. It's an honor to get traded for such a highly talented pitcher as Bedard is. He’s one of the best. Last year he finished up as an arguably one of the top candidates for the Cy Young. He’s that good, so for me it’s an honor. You know, I like Seattle, but if I am in Baltimore, as I think now I am, I’m going to embrace it and have the best time of my life in Major League Baseball.''

I spoke to relief pitcher George Sherrill moments ago, and he insisted he had not heard from anyone that he had been included in a deal.

Sherrill took a routine exit physical after the season was over and recently had his contract extended by the Mariners without taking another one.

"I hope if I am part of it that somebody tells me before Wednesday because that's when we're supposed to head down to Phoenix,'' Sherrill said of his departure for spring training. "I spoke to John (McLaren) recently and I let him know that I want to be a Mariner for life. It's the team that plucked me out of the independent league and so I'll always have a spot in my heart for it and want to stay with the organization. But I know that rarely happens anymore."

That's all for now. We'll get you more details as they unfold. But I wanted to get this out to you ASAP. I'd expect a news conference of some sort by Tuesday, given the timetable of the Jones physical.

"

I doubt Balentien would be in the package. The Mariners have zero outfield depth now and Wlad is the only guy near ML ready. With Jones gone we have Ibanez who is really a DH, Ichiro and ??? No one. The rumors that we would be after Wilkerson is a joke.

Outside of Balentien, the only decent prospect we have coming through is Saunders and he is probably 2 years away at least (if at all).

No kidding. We deal Jones, our outfield is as thin as it gets. Not a good position for a team trying to overtake the Angels.

Why are the M's so reluctant to go with Balentien? He looks very good to me, better than Wilkerson, possibly better than Jones.

Archived