Mike Wright, 2014

OFFNY

Ouch...I hope the scorer was being generous with the error on Casilla. If it was a routine play..yikes!

I would love to hear some first-hand knowledge of what has clicked for Mr. Wright. He has been light's out in August.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ouch...I hope the scorer was being generous with the error on Casilla. If it was a routine play..yikes!

I would love to hear some first-hand knowledge of what has clicked for Mr. Wright. He has been light's out in August.

I believe the error was on the throw, so I'm assuming it was a legit error and not a generous call by the scorer.

Is there any chance that Wright has a John Maine type career as a starter? Or, is everyone assuming he ends up in the pen permanently at the ML level? He has certainly improved over the 2nd half of the season.

o

6.67 shutout innings.

Pitching on 7 days' rest, after throwing 121 pitches over 8.67 innings in his last outing.

Wright has struck 18 batters total over his last 2 outings combined (15.33 innings.)

20 OUTS: 7 Strikeouts, 6 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 5 Flyouts (Including 1 Double Play)

MIKE WRIGHT O (vs. AAA-Durham, 8/29)

IP:. 6.67

H:o 2 (2 Singles)

R:O 0

BB: 3

SO: 7

Pitches: 98 (64 Strikes, 34 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.61 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

19 (11 Strikes, 8 Balls)

16 (10 Strikes, 6 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

61 (51 Strikes, 1 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 5 Balls)

20 (12 Strikes, 8 Balls)

10 (91 Strikes, 1 Balls) *

* Wright recorded 2 outs before departing in the 7th inning.

I think O'Day is well worth it. He's been worth 1.4, 0.7 and 1.0 fWAR the past three years, in pretty high-leverage situations. He's not old and there are few relievers in MLB who have been as consistently good as he's been.

O'Day's ERA is consistently a run better than his FIP, and I think it's pretty safe to say - given the yearly occurrence and his unorthodox delivery - that it's not a fluke. I think fWAR undervalues him a bit. I'd easily give O'Day $4.25m. And I'd throw more at Miller.

Given the increased price of a win, the transaction costs of replacing them, and the value of avoiding uncertainty, it's a solid move. These are guys who are effective against LHB and RHB, who have success in high leverage situations, and who (particularly O'Day) are proven. Being able to shut down a third of a game (with Britton) for less than $10m is a no-brainer. It's a big reason why a staff of No. 3 starters has been able to carry us all year.

What caused the turn around I wonder?
I'm more interested in what was wrong in the first half than what went right in the second half. The first half was totally out of line with Wright's track record.

I think the most likely culprit is some sort of unreported injury. Maybe some fairly minor issue that in turn effected his delivery.

I think the most likely culprit is some sort of unreported injury. Maybe some fairly minor issue that in turn effected his delivery.

I agree and floated that possibility at the time, how do you go from complete dissaster for two months to nearly unhittable fo the past several starts?

• 2 months later...

o

POSTED ON APRIL 25th

o

I'm not going to keep a running line for Wright, hence the title of the thread is "Mike Wright," and not "Mike Wright Today," but I wanted to get one (thread) going for one of our top starting pitching prospects who is playing at the highest level (AAA) of the minors.

I'll believe that when I see it. :rolleyes:

Archived