Mike Wright, 2014

OFFNY

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matusz, Miller, O'Day, Hunter?

Lots of possibilities.

O'Day? WHy would he need to be replaced. Hunter and Matusz have been very good for a while (at least until last night). I could see him replacing Miller - but re-shuffling the roles. Should be interesting.

2.70 ERA in six starts since the all-star break. Real question is where will he be next year - repeating AAA I suppose. No room in our rotation for sure and who does he replace in the pen?
Matusz, Miller, O'Day, Hunter?

Lots of possibilities.

My guess is we stash Wright in AAA but he sees some time in the majors, either as an emergency starter or in the bullpen. Sort of the old Steve Johnson role. (Johnson, I think, may have reached the end of the line.)

O'Day? WHy would he need to be replaced. Hunter and Matusz have been very good for a while (at least until last night). I could see him replacing Miller - but re-shuffling the roles. Should be interesting.

Isn't O'Day a free agent?

As for Hunter and Matusz, do you want to pay them? Hunter is making 3 million this season and Matusz 2.4. They will get raises if the O's tender them a contract.

Isn't O'Day a free agent?

As for Hunter and Matusz, do you want to pay them? Hunter is making 3 million this season and Matusz 2.4. They will get raises if the O's tender them a contract.

According to MLBTradeRumors he has a $4.25 club option that I would think is going to be picked up.

According to MLBTradeRumors he has a $4.25 club option that I would think is going to be picked up.

As much as I like O'Day I would have to look at the total picture before I picked it up. Matsz I think is a goner and I certainly don't think Hunter is worth more then 3 million. I might non-tender them and try and bring them back for less.

As much as I like O'Day I would have to look at the total picture before I picked it up. Matsz I think is a goner and I certainly don't think Hunter is worth more then 3 million. I might non-tender them and try and bring them back for less.

I totally agree with Hunter and Matusz - non-tender and hope Hunter returns. I think someone is going to give Matusz an opportunity to compete for a starting spot and he leaves, I think it will be San Diego.

O'Day - I pick up that option, we need him.

I totally agree with Hunter and Matusz - non-tender and hope Hunter returns. I think someone is going to give Matusz an opportunity to compete for a starting spot and he leaves, I think it will be San Diego.

O'Day - I pick up that option, we need him.

I am inclined to agree, even though that is more then I normally budget for a RP. I would have to have all the rest of the numbers in front of me. Maybe float an extension with deferred money or lower then 4.25 AAV?

I am inclined to agree, even though that is more then I normally budget for a RP. I would have to have all the rest of the numbers in front of me. Maybe float an extension with deferred money or lower then 4.25 AAV?

Agreed - a three year extension for $3.5 Million might get it done, but if it doesn't I would give him the 4.25 million next year.

I think O'Day is well worth it. He's been worth 1.4, 0.7 and 1.0 fWAR the past three years, in pretty high-leverage situations. He's not old and there are few relievers in MLB who have been as consistently good as he's been.

I think O'Day is well worth it. He's been worth 1.4, 0.7 and 1.0 fWAR the past three years, in pretty high-leverage situations. He's not old and there are few relievers in MLB who have been as consistently good as he's been.

Wasn't saying he isn't worth the money. I said I don't like allocating that level of money to a relief pitcher. I completely agree that on the market that would be a very fair price for a year of his services with how he has been pitching.

Wasn't saying he isn't worth the money. I said I don't like allocating that level of money to a relief pitcher. I completely agree that on the market that would be a very fair price for a year of his services with how he has been pitching.

Considering we don't have a pricey closer, I think it's OK to spend $4.25 mm on a good setup man.

o

No hitter for 8.67 innings !!!

11 Strikeouts.

3 Walks.

Julio Borbon made an outstanding catch in centerfield in the bottom of the 7th inning to keep Wright's no-hit bid alive.

Christian Walker made an outstanding leaping catch at 1st base in the bottom of the 8th, which also kept Wright's no-hit bid alive.

Alexi Casilla made a throwing error with 2 outs in the 9th inning which would have potentially completed Wright's no-hitter. The very next batter hit a double, breaking up Wright's no-hit bid, and the shutout (both runs that scored were unearned.)

Before that 2-out double in the bottom of the 9th inning, Wright had given up a grand total of ONE extra base hits in his last 4 outings (28.67 innings) ...... a double, 3 starts ago against AAA-Buffalo.

26 OUTS: 11 Strikeouts, 8 Flyouts, 4 Groundouts, 3 Lineouts

MIKE WRIGHT O (vs. AAA-Durham, 8/21)

IP:. 8.67

H:o 1 (1 Double)

R:O 2

ER:o0

BB: 3

SO: 11

Pitches: 121 (78 Strikes, 43 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.83 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

61 (41 Strikes, 2 Balls)

11 (61 Strikes, 5 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 7 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 5 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

10 (81 Strikes, 2 Balls)

24 (15 Strikes, 9 Balls) *

* Wright recorded 2 outs before departing in the 9th inning.

Archived