Need a new closer AND a new manager

vikkt

In game stategery is a small part of a manger's job.

Buck is great at the other stuff.

Exactly. You get good and bad with any manager. I think what we all really need to hope for is that Hunter finds what he had last year.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck has done a good job to get us into contention the last three years. But, he has steadfastly stuck to failing closers and failing players in general because he doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. I understand the need for the players to feel comfortable in their roles. I understand the fact that baseball is a game of failure and you can't jerk guys in and out of roles. But, you need a harsh side as a manager as well. Buck has the track record. He won't lose the team if he demotes a veteran or diminishes their role. Forget about tonight, I'm thinking long term. You simply can not sit there and accept mistakes and under performance over and over again. He has taken the patience thing way too far and he will lose the team by not acting as well as acting too quickly. Adam Jones had ball four on a ball that was about to bounce leading off the bottom of the 8th. Great chance for a lead off walk and an insurance run. Will anything be said by the coaches or manager? I can picture Earl Weaver having enough and getting in Adams face. I'm not a big advocate of that type of management but their comes a time when it is necessary. We have absolutely zero of it and I think it's high time we get some.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Someone needs to yell and scream after tonight!

Exactly. You get good and bad with any manager. I think what we all really need to hope for is that Hunter finds what he had last year.

in Buck's previous jobs he's gotten his teams to a certain point and then he is replaced and the team goes to the next level under another manager.

Showalter has proven that he will keep using a choker over and over and over. JJ and now Hunter. Until Buck is gone, the Orioles will never be a serious contender.

The funny think is when he stayed with Johnson people on here were saying Buck staying with Johnson was why we missed the playoffs and that if Hunter would have gotten the closer role we would have made it. Hmm doesn't look that way now.

I say a new manager and a new closer and two public hangings.

To the gallows with them all! (Except Jimenez. And Britton. And O'Day. And Machado. And Markakis. And...)

Buck's not an idiot, I think he'll make the necessary adjustment with Hunter. It was a different situation with Johnson, he had had a good deal of success as a closer, had a track record.

Gotta be Britton, no?

in Buck's previous jobs he's gotten his teams to a certain point and then he is replaced and the team goes to the next level under another manager.

Yea I am aware of that, but still for the recent history and the current path were taking I really don't want anyone else at the helm. Do you?

It's not Bucks fault that we have the 2nd worst offense in the MLB. It's not Bucks fault that this pathetic team is averaging less than 3 runs a game at home which is one of the best parks to hit at in the majors. This group of position players we have assembled are a complete embarassmsnt. Jones sucks. Davis can't hit the ball out of the infield. He needs to go back on steroids. Cruz is overrated. Machado is the most overrated young player in baseball. Hardy absolutely sucks. Markakis only hits singles.

Although I do agree that Hunter needs to be removed, it's the offenses fault that we have so many save situations. They are just playing like a bunch of bums. How many wins have we had this year where it wasn't a save situation? 2? 3? Bevsgdd we have probably had at least 5 or 6 losses where it wasn't a save situation.

The funny think is when he stayed with Johnson people on here were saying Buck staying with Johnson was why we missed the playoffs and that if Hunter would have gotten the closer role we would have made it. Hmm doesn't look that way now.

Hunter in 2013 /=/ Hunter in 2014. I see no reason to blame the closer role for his diminished performance.

Yep, he gets them to contend. And then when he's replaced with someone who knows how to win, that's exactly what they do.

1995 - Buck's last year with Yankees. 1996 - World Champions

2000 - Buck's last year with Diamondbacks. 2001 - World Champions

But it was good enough to have the lead into the 9th, which is what you want (if you have a closer who does his job).

No its not ...If Ulbaldo was anything but brilliant your not even in the game. The fact that your leading is credited to Ulbaldo not the offense...

1 run in 9 innings

1 run in 9 innings

2 runs in 9 innings

4 runs in 27 innings ....no excuse!

Archived