Cruz: one of the dumbest plays I've seen

Ohfan67

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very frustrating game all around... I even disliked bunting manny.. Our late inning management seems to be a bit iffy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem bunting Manny. Jones got the hit we needed and Markakis was out by a tenth of a second on a throw right on line. The throw is a bit high or off any bit we win.

Galactically stupid.

You were listening.

Unrelated note, I'm not going to post a new thread, not going to go on a rant. But I'm saying this anyway: being competitive for a couple years has been nice, but I really, truly think the O's should be sellers...like ASAP. This team might, might be able to scratch out a wildcard berth, but it will not...it cannot...go deep into the playoffs against legitimately great teams. This game serves as a perfect example. The O's have too many holes, too many AAAA-types who've been pressed into service out of necessity, and too few players who represent reasonable hope(s) for the future in the minors. Hell, arguably the O's best pitching prospect hasn't even fully recovered from TJ surgery yet. It's all a bad joke, and holding onto expiring contracts right now is a poor strategy if you're considering the future success of the team.

I have no problem bunting Manny. Jones got the hit we needed and Markakis was out by a tenth of a second on a throw right on line. The throw is a bit high or off any bit we win.

Agreed. Lord Nick is slow for a guy with a fairly lean build.

I think there are at least fair odds that the pitcher isn't paying attention, or he panics and rushes the throw, or the catcher isn't paying attention or gets out of position. Unfortunately for Cruz, none of that happened. If it worked, I'm sure everyone is calling him brilliant.

Not everyone. Some people would still (correctly) be calling it galactically stupid.

Should Buck have run Lough for him?

Well, in hindsight, the game would obviously been a W if he had. Nick is swinging a hot bat though, and has a great arm in the outfield. You'd be losing that. Then again, with Meek coming in, might as well gone for broke.

Bad calls that entire inning cost us this game. I don't really think it's debatable:

1) Sac bunting Manny. With Cruz, Jones and Davis hitting behind him. NO NO NO NO NO. A million times NO.

2) Sending the runner and getting him thrown out at home, when holding him lets Davis hit with the bases loaded with one out. What was Dickerson thinking?

3) Why is Cruz stealing home? At first I thought he mistook the count to be full, but his run toward home was much too aggressive for that.

1+2+3 = giving away this game. SO frustrating.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck says steal WAS Cruz's decision. "He saw it, felt it".</p>— Mark Viviano (@MarkWJZ) <a href="

">June 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived