Why can't the Orioles draft and develop pitchers like Gausman and Britton?(Not a new thread. Bumped)

mdbdotcom

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Team totals 2010-2015 pitchers with a WAR greater than 1.9(w the 3 exceptions):

White Sox - 4

Phillies - 2

Royals - 1

Blue Jays - 6

Rockies - 1

Braves - 1

Cardinals - 1

Orioles - 1

Astros - 2

Dodgers - 2

Marlins - 1

A's - 2

Pirates - 1

Indians - 2

Rangers - 1

D'Backs - 1

Padres - 2

Brewers - 3

Mets - 2

Tigers - 1

Mariners - 2

Key AL East Teams Missing

Yankees

Red Sox

Rays

Great research, and I think it's probably counterintuitive that only 1.3 drafted pitchers per team have exceeded 1.9 WAR, which is basically one season of being a league average starter. It makes you feel a little better about our track record. How about those Blue Jays, though?

Great research, and I think it's probably counterintuitive that only 1.3 drafted pitchers per team have exceeded 1.9 WAR, which is basically one season of being a league average starter. It makes you feel a little better about our track record. How about those Blue Jays, though?

It also goes way back a bunch of years to what Syd Thrift said that 2 out of every 3 pitchers will not make it to the bigs.

This all may very well be true, but my question is why would the O's do all of this to Arrieta and you have pitchers like O'Day and Givens who have said that the organization has told them to just be themselves? And then you have Bundy, who didnt want to learn a change up and now said he is grateful that the Orioles made him learn it. But is not suppose to throw a cutter?

Because the Orioles did not do that to him. And he had way too many pitches. At no point was he forced to shelve any. No matter what he may say.

Tillman was throwing the cutter in 2012 when Arrieta was still here. So who knows the real reason.

Throwing it in the majors != progressing with it in the minors.

I'm not entirely sure how much he was throwing it in the O's MiLB affiliates. But Duquette has some very, very pointed quotes regarding the cutter since 2012. I'm not sure how much of that was influenced by the likes of Adair..but something to keep in mind.

Because the Orioles did not do that to him. And he had way too many pitches. At no point was he forced to shelve any. No matter what he may say.

Unless Arrieta specifically informed you, then you have no idea what he was told by various Orioles coaches, regardless of your sources.

Archived