Machado begins 5-game suspension tonight.

schittenden

The last time someone threw a bat at someone was 12 years ago, when Nixon got 4 games. That was also back when suspensions were lighter than they are today. And that was one isolated incident. Not an extended temper tantrum throughout an entire series.

Manny got off light. This isn't debatable.

Who did he throw the bat at?

You have said he threw the bat at someone, well who was it?

BTW his actions were so bad on Friday that he didn't get ejected.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because he didn't get ejected, does that mean he didn't deserve it. Wrong sport, but Marcus Vick didn't get ejected for stomping on the back of a guy's leg years ago. Did that make it OK?

And just because Manny's bat toss was a bad toss doesn't mean that his intent shouldn't be HEAVILY penalized.

Just because he didn't get ejected, does that mean he didn't deserve it. Wrong sport, but Marcus Vick didn't get ejected for stomping on the back of a guy's leg years ago. Did that make it OK?

And just because Manny's bat toss was a bad toss doesn't mean that his intent shouldn't be HEAVILY penalized.

The other players threw the bat AT SOMEONE. Manny threw the bat ON THE FIELD OF PLAY.

And yet he gets the longer suspension.

Which is worse, which is more dangerous?

The other players threw the bat AT SOMEONE. Manny threw the bat ON THE FIELD OF PLAY.

And yet he gets the longer suspension.

Which is worse, which is more dangerous?

Incidents that happened 12 or more years ago should have little bearing on a similar one today. Especially given that those incidents were ISOLATED and not just the ultimate conclusion of one giant temper tantrum of a series.

The MLB has gotten more strict. And it's not every year a guy shows the sheer gall of throwing a bat anywhere near the direction of a player. Again, it has been 12 years since the last guy did it.

Granted... we have another player who has a history of throwing bats on our roster too......

Incidents that happened 12 or more years ago should have little bearing on a similar one today. Especially given that those incidents were ISOLATED and not just the ultimate conclusion of one giant temper tantrum of a series.

The MLB has gotten more strict. And it's not every year a guy shows the sheer gall of throwing a bat anywhere near the direction of a player. Again, it has been 12 years since the last guy did it.

Granted... we have another player who has a history of throwing bats on our roster too......

So you think folks that actually attempted to hit a player deserve a shorter suspension then someone who threw the bat on the field of play?

That is what you are saying?

Or are you saying that prior precedents are irrelevant and MLB should hand out whatever random suspension length they wish from case to case.

Vlad you get four, Roger you get nothing, Manny you get five.

No we don't have to explain ourselves!

So you think folks that actually attempted to hit a player deserve a shorter suspension then someone who threw the bat on the field of play?

That is what you are saying?

Or are you saying that prior precedents are irrelevant and MLB should hand out whatever random suspension length they wish from case to case.

Vlad you get four, Roger you get nothing, Manny you get five.

No we don't have to explain ourselves!

Obviously the MLB should be consistent. But using an incident from 12 years ago and being more harsh down the road isn't unfair. The four game penalty was considered light back then. And MLB has gotten more strict over the years.

Seriously, this board is the ONLY place where people think that Machado's penalty was heavy. Every neutral observer considered the penalty fair or light (some even said VERY light). There's a reason for that. He's an Oriole and this is an Oriole board with some fans with orange and black blinders.

And again, there's nothing to show that Manny wasn't attempting to hit Abad.... it was just a REALLY lame attempt. Why else would he have swung the bat? Did he think it was a strike? If so, then why was this an issue?

Obviously the MLB should be consistent. But using an incident from 12 years ago and being more harsh down the road isn't unfair. The four game penalty was considered light back then. And MLB has gotten more strict over the years.

Seriously, this board is the ONLY place where people think that Machado's penalty was heavy. Every neutral observer considered the penalty fair or light (some even said VERY light). There's a reason for that. He's an Oriole and this is an Oriole board with some fans with orange and black blinders.

And again, there's nothing to show that Manny wasn't attempting to hit Abad.... it was just a REALLY lame attempt. Why else would he have swung the bat? Did he think it was a strike? If so, then why was this an issue?

Like I said, I could get closer. Abad isn't even in the frame with the bat. If belies common sense to think that Manny could not have come closer if that was his intent. Now if Donaldson had been at third I could see a case could be made that he attempted to hit him, but Donaldson wasn't there.

He was angry, immature and frustrated and just threw the bat out there.

That case for a lack on intent to hit is a lot stronger then the case for intent.

Like I said, I could get closer. Abad isn't even in the frame with the bat. If belies common sense to think that Manny could not have come closer if that was his intent. Now if Donaldson had been at third I could see a case could be made that he attempted to hit him, but Donaldson wasn't there.

He was angry, immature and frustrated and just threw the bat out there.

That case for a lack on intent to hit is a lot stronger then the case for intent.

Cool.... so if his release point is a quarter second later, his bat ends up in the stands instead, possibly seriously injuring a fan.

Adam Jones said it best. "Do the crime, you do the time". Machado threw the bat and deserved what he got at a minimum.

Cool.... so if his release point is a quarter second later, his bat ends up in the stands instead, possibly seriously injuring a fan.

Adam Jones said it best. "Do the crime, you do the time". Machado threw the bat and deserved what he got at a minimum.

At a minimum? So he deserved MORE then prior violators even though he did LESS. He deserves, at a minimum an extra day tagged on for behavior two days prior, something which I think is unprecedented.

You have a strange idea of justice.

His crime was less, remember one of his comps also charged the mound.

They exceeded prior precedent and made up new rules for this ruling.

Jeremy Guts opined....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Inflation?src=hash">#Inflation</a> RT <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal">@Ken_Rosenthal</a>: Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> livid Machado suspension wasn't reduced. Nixon & Guerrero got 4 for throwing bat at pitcher.</p>— Jeremy Guthrie (@TheRealJGuts) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRealJGuts/statuses/483670389244317696">June 30, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jeremy Guts opined....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Inflation?src=hash">#Inflation</a> RT <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal">@Ken_Rosenthal</a>: Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> livid Machado suspension wasn't reduced. Nixon & Guerrero got 4 for throwing bat at pitcher.</p>— Jeremy Guthrie (@TheRealJGuts) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRealJGuts/statuses/483670389244317696">June 30, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doesn't sound like a good union man.

Funny how Manny hasn't hit anyone since.

Actually, he did with no incident and apologized for it. Norris, on the other hand by his manager's own admission, gets hit all the time because he snugs in there close.

Frankly, IMO, I think Machado got off light. His antics in that Oakland series were an embarassment to professional baseball.

The overswing on Saturday. The getting upset about being tagged hard (I guess?). And then Sunday's throw of the bat. And let's be real here... the bat was thrown intentionally. And the simple fact is this, if we're getting so upset about the pitcher throwing twice inside on the knees... WHY DID MACHADO SWING ON THE SECOND PITCH?!??! If it were an accident, he wouldn't have been swinging in the first place if the pitch were that far inside.

By saying Machado let the bat go on accident, it's hypocritical to turn around and blame the Oakland pitcher. Clearly Machado wasn't threatened if he swung the bat. And IMO, this is the primary reason he didn't receive a suspension and Manny did. Manny clearly lied about the accidental nature of the swing. And frankly, getting hit with a bat would do much more damage than getting hit with a ball.

If Machado were suspended 10 games... or even 20. I think the MLB would have been well within their rights. Appealing just delayed the inevitable.

I think that Machado deserved the five games.

The bottom line is that he threw the bat into the field of play after the ball was in the catchers mitt.

He was clearly sending the A's a message and MLB sent one as well.

I think cutting the suspension to three or four games would have sent the wrong message.

You can't have guys throwing bats in the field of play intentionally.

Yes, I am not a big fan of players being intentionally hit by pitched balls either.

There should be an automatic 5 game suspension for anyone who throws behind a hitter.

He threw the bat at the third baseman. I suspect he thought Donaldson was still out there. Anyway I have no idea why you are defending Machado. He deserved to be suspended. 5 games is nothing in a Major League Baseball season.

He did the crime he is getting justly punished. Hopefully he learns from this and doesn't act like he did in the Athletics series again. If he does then you think about moving him.

Those of you arguing that the suspension is justified are completely clueless. Would you rather get hit with a windmilling bat that took 5-10 seconds to get to you or a 93mph fastball that was aimed at your reconstructed knee? Throw aside the pc bs and think about it. Anyone that has actually played the game and understands what is going on knows the answer to that. Those that have never played the game, really don't know what they are talking about. I'm completely convinced if Manny played for the Yanks or Redsox, he would have missed between 2 games and none.

Archived