Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

When you consider there are probably 10 teams seriously kicking the tires on Lester, my guess is the Sox are going to want at least one of those pitchers for Lester as a starting point.

They aren't getting that for two months. This isn't like the old days where you trade for a rental and get a pick when they leave after the season.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you consider there are probably 10 teams seriously kicking the tires on Lester, my guess is the Sox are going to want at least one of those pitchers for Lester as a starting point.

Well, he can go to one of the other 10 teams. Incredibly bad for a very short term rental to give up one of those three. Hope the Sox end up having to keep him if other teams are smart and don't give in to ransom demands and then hope the Sucks lose him in the offseason.

Nobody's giving up a Bundy, Harvey, or Gausman, for Lester. So what's the best they can get? Kemp and his health questions and salary?

I don't think they get that. And why would they want that anyway? I think, at best, that they will get maybe two or three midlevel prospects and no team will give up a prospect in their top 3.

They aren't getting that for two months. This isn't like the old days where you trade for a rental and get a pick when they leave after the season.

The Angels sent four prospects (including 2 of their preseason top 5) for Street. Shark and Hammel cost a top ten prospect and another top 40 prospect and another pitcher. I know these players are controlled next year, but they seem to indicate a steep price for proven talent. Add that to the possibility that the Marriners, Orioles and who knows who else might want an extra Ace around their clubhouse instead of, say, some other team just ahead of them in the wild card chase, and you might see some offers of a top 40 prospect or two for Lester. Also, i believe the Sox will want something demonstrably more than a prospect (which would be a wash with a compensatory pick) and/or a collection of middle of the road players whose stats they could just sign in the off season when they're not busy stalking Max Scherzer and Jon Lester. If they can't find some package worth the risk of putting Lester on the market, they could always stop jerking him around and offer something a little closer to market value....

The Angels sent four prospects (including 2 of their preseason top 5) for Street. Shark and Hammel cost a top ten prospect and another top 40 prospect and another pitcher. I know these players are controlled next year, but they seem to indicate a steep price for proven talent. Add that to the possibility that the Marriners, Orioles and who knows who else might want an extra Ace around their clubhouse instead of, say, some other team just ahead of them in the wild card chase, and you might see some offers of a top 40 prospect or two for Lester. Also, i believe the Sox will want something demonstrably more than a prospect (which would be a wash with a compensatory pick) and/or a collection of middle of the road players whose stats they could just sign in the off season when they're not busy stalking Max Scherzer and Jon Lester. If they can't find some package worth the risk of putting Lester on the market, they could always stop jerking him around and offer something a little closer to market value....

Lester knows that he is holding all the cards. Red Sox have overplayed their home team discount badly.

I think Lester is going to do a Johnny Damon and take mega bucks from the Yankees in the offseason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lester is testing the FA market next year. Book it. No offer the Sox make would do it. He has teams like the MFY and the LAD bidding for him along with the SUX. Everybody knows this. He's a two month rental.

I didn't say he wasn't very good, I just said Bundy has more upside and I'll stick to that statement.
No. A lot more upside than a 3.02FIP is like Kershaw/Felix/Sale. Keuchel has been a top 20 pitcher this year. If you're expecting Bundy to be a sub 3.00FIP pitcher you're facing heavy odds of being severely disappointed.

Keuchel has also produced 3.0 WAR with over two months to go. As far as upside I'll take Harvey. Bundy is expendable for the right piece ATP. I'm not saying that's Keuchel, but I'd move him before Harvey.

Lester knows that he is holding all the cards. Red Sox have overplayed their home team discount badly.

I think Lester is going to do a Johnny Damon and take mega bucks from the Yankees in the offseason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very possible. I'm not sure of the Sox's motivation, but if they're interested in bringing Lester back, they're not going to just give him away for a collection of mid level talent and forfeit three months of negotiation time. They know that letting Lester hit the market means a bidding war, and that bidding won't be limited to the Yankees. Supposing they could convince Lester to take a 5/110 now, the open market (for some reason I see Theo Epstein being free of Sorianos contract and very interested in adding pitching, ditto the Tigers if they lose Scherzer, blue jays could figure Buehrle And Dickey coming off in 2016 means they can afford a year of all three, the Rangers Dodgers and Angels are never shy about contracts for top of the market pitchers etc etc) could easily drive Lester above 25. This means losing at l east 15 million on inflation from just signing him now. For that risk and in a best case added expense, the price for Lester is not cheap.

Maybe they don't want Lester back and will go after Scherzer (who holds as many cards as Lester) or Shields or an outfielder, at which point they would want more than the compensatory pick they would get from holding Lester now.

Either way, whether they want him back or not, the Sox will want something good in return.

Lester is testing the FA market next year. Book it. No offer the Sox make would do it. He has teams like the MFY and the LAD bidding for him along with the SUX. Everybody knows this. He's a two month rental.

And the rental fee is going to be at least a good prospect. Book it.

Interesting guy, but he's a barely 90 mph sinkerballer. Those guys can be pretty erratic. I wouldn't give up very much for him.

He's far from erratic, but I agree I wouldn't give up very much for him. I like that he's under control and has strong peripherals due to a different pitch arsenal this year. In other words, he's adjusted. That's a good sign.

Go back and read the article I posted earlier in the thread, it talks about him developing a slider this year.

He's far from erratic, but I agree I wouldn't give up very much for him. I like that he's under control and has strong peripherals due to a different pitch arsenal this year. In other words, he's adjusted. That's a good sign.

Go back and read the article I posted earlier in the thread, it talks about him developing a slider this year.

I don't know how many times I've been convinced a sinkerballer has got it locked down, but in general they really are erratic. He may be in the zone this year and could stink the next. They are just always walking a fine with their mechanics and release point and threading the needle. Especially with low velocity. JMO.

I his cutter, CH slider are good and/or developing, and he has exceptional command, then those are big plusses obviously. Sounds you know him a lot better than me. When I get chance I'll go to MLB tv and watch one of his recent games. I remember him vaguely but he just didn't impress me like some of the other HOU starters did.

Archived