Is Chris Davis going to hit in the 5 hole regardless the rest of the season? Why?

Specman

Personally I am sick of seeing Davis in the line up at all.

Just my opinion doesn't make it right

(JMODMIR)

Sick of him in the line up al ALL? Really? That is nuts!

Just my opinion doesn't make it right, and your opinion is nuts, but you certainly have your right to it :)

(JMODMIRAYOINBYCHYRTI:))

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sick of him in the line up al ALL? Really? That is nuts!

Just my opinion doesn't make it right, and your opinion is nuts, but you certainly have your right to it :)

(JMODMIRAYOINBYCHYRTI:))

Nice reply. And I have no idea what your acronym means. But Chris Davis is a 4A player.

Again JMHODMIR

Nice reply. And I have no idea what your acronym means. But Chris Davis is a 4A player.

Again JMHODMIR

If a 4A player is capable of hitting 53 homers, and 86 over a two year span, I would love to see an actual MLB player's stats.

At this point I think I'd go with something to the effect of..

Markakis

Pearce/Machado

Jones

Cruz

Machado/Pearce

Hardy

Davis

Joseph

Schoop

If Davis starts to heat up.. he could move back to the 5 hole, with Pearce/Machado at 6 and Hardy at 7... at this point though it's a big if. Let's pray the All-star Break works some kind of magic.

Davis absolutely crushed off-speed pitches last season, but has been extremely vulnerable to the slow stuff in 2014. Though Davis posted the league's fifth-highest batting average against off-speed pitches (.310) a year ago, finishing ahead of Robinson Cano and Miguel Cabrera, who finished sixth and seventh, respectively, he's now tied with Lucas Duda for the league's second-worst mark (.119), ahead of only Adam Dunn (.106). Davis' batting average against off-speed pitches in 2014 is hardly more than half the league average of .222.

Essentially, Davis has gone from being a well-rounded power hitter able to handle off-speed pitches to an all-or-nothing type in the mold of Dunn, Duda and Mark Reynolds. Going a step further, Davis is hitting just .061 (4-for-66) with 38 strikeouts against off-speed pitches in two-strike counts.

ESPN inSider article from a couple days ago snippet.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11193229/comparing-chris-davis-2013-success-2014-struggles-mlb

I've watched the last few games and his balance is off. Has to keep his weight on his back foot.

I would say that in addition to this, the plane of his swing seems way off most the time. Too much uppercut in his swing.. he swings right around some meatballs that last year he would have taken yard.

I would say that in addition to this, the plane of his swing seems way off most the time. Too much uppercut in his swing.. he swings right around some meatballs that last year he would have taken yard.

I agree. Another snippet from the article linked above.

You can beat him in the zone

Davis' issues don't stem from expanding the strike zone and chasing bad pitches. Rather, he has simply been unable to do damage against pitches in the strike zone. Davis hit .380 against pitches in the strike zone in the first half last season, and then .321 in the second half. He's at .233 so far this season. And he's headed even further south: Since August of last year, Davis' batting average against strikes has declined in each subsequent month, including a .206 mark in June and a paltry .077 total -- one hit and seven strikeouts in 13 at-bats -- thus far in July.

Archived