A's may be willing to eat most of Jim Johnson's contract in a trade. Should O's consider? (DFA)

mdbdotcom

He doesn't have to be an upgrade over what the O's have. Send him to Norfolk. Get him pitching well, then bring him up when the rosters expand in Sept. JJ was a good pitcher for a long time with the O's. There is no one who would be better at getting back on track then the O's organization.

Not going to happen for a couple reasons:

- Looks like the Marlins are willing to give an actual prospect for him - which is more (a lot more) than he's worth right now. He'll get traded b/f he gets released.

- I'm sure JJ still thinks he can contribute at the MLB level. He will not sign a MiLB contract. The thing that ticked me off about JJ (after the trade) was that, during ST interviews, he would act astonished when asked why he thought the O's traded him. He could never admit that he struggled last year and was grossly overpaid this year.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming he's released, I'd love to see the O's sign him to a minor league deal. If he's able to get it together in Norfolk, bring him up for a look. Yes, he's been bad this year. But when he's good, he's very good. I'd love to see him coming in from the pen instead of Matusz.

Assuming he's released, I'd love to see the O's sign him to a minor league deal. If he's able to get it together in Norfolk, bring him up for a look. Yes, he's been bad this year. But when he's good, he's very good. I'd love to see him coming in from the pen instead of Matusz.

He was DFA today.

He doesn't have to be an upgrade over what the O's have. Send him to Norfolk. Get him pitching well, then bring him up when the rosters expand in Sept. JJ was a good pitcher for a long time with the O's. There is no one who would be better at getting back on track then the O's organization.

I should frame this. Yes! Yes! and Yes!

Not going to happen for a couple reasons:

- Looks like the Marlins are willing to give an actual prospect for him - which is more (a lot more) than he's worth right now. He'll get traded b/f he gets released.

- I'm sure JJ still thinks he can contribute at the MLB level. He will not sign a MiLB contract. The thing that ticked me off about JJ (after the trade) was that, during ST interviews, he would act astonished when asked why he thought the O's traded him. He could never admit that he struggled last year and was grossly overpaid this year.

I love your handle name, that is awesome. LOL. Love that movie (and book).

I should frame this. Yes! Yes! and Yes!

If he gets outright released why would he want to pitch in the minors with no guarantee of getting back to the majors?

There would be a few teams the Marlins among them that are not in contention that will give him a shot now to pitch in the majors and get a look to see if he would be worth bringing back next year

It would be great but not very realistic IMO

If he gets outright released why would he want to pitch in the minors with no guarantee of getting back to the majors?

There would be a few teams the Marlins among them that are not in contention that will give him a shot now to pitch in the majors and get a look to see if he would be worth bringing back next year

It would be great but not very realistic IMO

Some might even let him start!

Some might even let him start!

I doubt that but I were the Marlin, Cubs, Rangers (who just traded Soria to Detriot) why not ?

Its a warm body with experience and potential upside at almost no cost. Your not going anywhere so why not take a look

Can we start some more threads about trying to convert him into a starter for old time's sake? That's what he always wanted....
The 31-year-old Johnson was acquired by the A’s this offseason in a salary dump that sent Jemile Weeks and David Freitas to the Orioles. While many Baltimore fans were shaken by the deal after seeing Johnson lead the league in saves in both the 2012 and 2013 seasons, the move proved to be a wise decision by the O’s, as Johnson has struggled to a 6.92 ERA with 6.3 K/9, 5.1 BB/9 and a 56.8 percent ground-ball rate in 40 1/3 innings this season with Oakland.

Steve Adams

I doubt that but I were the Marlin, Cubs, Rangers (who just traded Soria to Detriot) why not ?

Its a warm body with experience and potential upside at almost no cost. Your not going anywhere so why not take a look

The cost would be about 200k to try him on a mlb deal.

The cost would be about 200k to try him on a mlb deal.

Which is essentially no cost.

From JJ's perspective, being on a winner is great but getting an opportunity to put up some numbers that might get you a better deal/opportunity next season makes a lot more sense

Archived