A's may be willing to eat most of Jim Johnson's contract in a trade. Should O's consider? (DFA)

mdbdotcom

If he can't get three guys out what makes you think he can get 18 guys out?

Well, first off it's a minor league assignment I'd be advocating…..not a job with the Orioles. Second, he had 400 innings of high caliber ML pitching before the 40 disastrous innings he put up this season. He's only 31 and he's got enough variety in his stuff that he may be better served in longer situations if he can regain his confidence and performance in the minors. If he does find success in AAA, he could be starter depth, or more optimistically, stretched out so he could be a long man in the pen. But really, what's the harm in giving him a look at AAA? I think he'd welcome a chance to reinvent himself as a starter after the disaster 2014 has been. There aren't a whole lotta miles on that arm.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, first off it's a minor league assignment I'd be advocating…..not a job with the Orioles. Second, he had 400 innings of high caliber ML pitching before the 40 disastrous innings he put up this season. He's only 31 and he's got enough variety in his stuff that he may be better served in longer situations if he can regain his confidence and performance in the minors. If he does find success in AAA, he could be starter depth, or more optimistically, stretched out so he could be a long man in the pen. But really, what's the harm in giving him a look at AAA? I think he'd welcome a chance to reinvent himself as a starter after the disaster 2014 has been. There aren't a whole lotta miles on that arm.

Didn't he have some shoulder issues?

The odds of him losing velocity on his fastball and having to throw his lower quality pitches more often resulting in success as a starter is extremely slight.

I am sure the O's didn't lightly make the change from starter to reliever. He had an ERA in the 4.00s and a WHIP over 1.4 in AA and AAA as a starter.

He isn't a starter.

Didn't he have some shoulder issues?

The odds of him losing velocity on his fastball and having to throw his lower quality pitches more often resulting in success as a starter is extremely slight.

I am sure the O's didn't lightly make the change from starter to reliever. He had an ERA in the 4.00s and a WHIP over 1.4 in AA and AAA as a starter.

He isn't a starter.

But Jim Palmer said...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJ is a FA at the end of the year. There is no reason for any of the teams you mentioned to spend time trying to fix him in the majors and then having him walk.

The is owed 3.3M for the last two months. Pretty expensive for a guy that is not performing well.

Oakland probably will offer to pay at least 2m of that but the problem is that teams in contention don't want to fix him while he is on the major league roster and teams that are out of it don't need him.

There is a decent chance that he passes through waivers just to get rid of his salary obligation. Then the O's become a great choice for Johnson because the O's are the ones that know him best and have the best chance of fixing him.

If Oakland releases him the salary is on them.

There is a reason to bring him in. He has a pulse and has some experience. Many of those teams will be moving guys and will need arms. I think its wishful thinking to believe that JJ is going to sign a minor league deal to come back here. He is going to go to the team that gives him an opportunity at the MLB level and based on his history prior to this season...someone will.

If Oakland releases him the salary is on them.

There is a reason to bring him in. He has a pulse and has some experience. Many of those teams will be moving guys and will need arms. I think its wishful thinking to believe that JJ is going to sign a minor league deal to come back here. He is going to go to the team that gives him an opportunity at the MLB level and based on his history prior to this season...someone will.

I don't think any of us are in a position to know if JJ would prefer a return or a fresh start somewhere else.

Britt says he will come back if released.

Well she is in a position to know. :P

If it was me I would be looking at a fresh start in the NL instead of crawling back with my tail between my legs.

That probably makes JJ the bigger person but I am good with that.

If it was me I would be looking at a fresh start in the NL instead of crawling back with my tail between my legs.

The "Haven you know."

I think its pretty well know that the O's welcome new players and try to help them fit in. Jim is respected by the whole clubhouse including Buck and the whole pitching staff. Crawling back with his tail between his legs doesn't really apply here.

The O's didn't want to pay him 10M and now the will not have to. I think some arrangement can be made that he pitches in the minors for a while to get his confidence, stuff and mechanics straightened out.

But first he has to clear waivers.

I think its pretty well know that the O's welcome new players and try to help them fit in. Jim is respected by the whole clubhouse including Buck and the whole pitching staff. Crawling back with his tail between his legs doesn't really apply here.

The O's didn't want to pay him 10M and now the will not have to. I think some arrangement can be made that he pitches in the minors for a while to get his confidence, stuff and mechanics straightened out.

I said "If it was me" I was clearly speaking of my own viewpoint.

To turn down a multi-year deal and basically force my way out of town only to oh so magnificently implode at my new gig.

Yea I wouldn't be eager to come back as a complete failure.

To turn down a multi-year deal and basically force my way out of town only to oh so magnificently implode at my new gig.

Was Jim Johnson ever offered a multi year contract?

It's obvious then. He misses Darren O'Day.

Was Jim Johnson ever offered a multi year contract?
"We explored that," Duquette said, "but it didn't look like there was a fit."

Duquette wouldn't offer specifics, but according to multiple industry sources, the Orioles balked at a four-year proposal in the $45-50 million range.

I had read that we had a three year offer for him.

Again, biggest critic of JJ last year (moreso Buck's overuse) but I think this is a win-win for both parties and I hope it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived