Orioles 6th in SI Power Rankings

MeSoHardy

Over the past few weeks I have been looking at a lot of various power rankings both online and in baseball magazines. Before the Jimenez/Cruz signings, most people had the Orioles between 16/17 - 20. As of now, the highest I have seen places the Orioles at #13. I am not sure I agree with this, your thoughts?

Also the Red Sox are ranked really highly in most rankings (top 3 in most). I get that they are coming off of a WS title, but still. I am not sure they are THAT good this year.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Over the past few weeks I have been looking at a lot of various power rankings both online and in baseball magazines. Before the Jimenez/Cruz signings, most people had the Orioles between 16/17 - 20. As of now, the highest I have seen places the Orioles at #13. I am not sure I agree with this, your thoughts?

Also the Red Sox are ranked really highly in most rankings (top 3 in most). I get that they are coming off of a WS title, but still. I am not sure they are THAT good this year.

17. Baltimore Orioles

What to Watch for This Spring

The Baltimore Orioles climb three spots in the rankings after adding Ubaldo Jimenez and Nelson Cruz, but there are still enough question marks to keep this team out of the upper half at this point. That said, those are two big pickups, as Jimenez gives the O's a legitimate No. 1 starter and Cruz fills a DH spot that saw very little production last season.

They still need to sort out left field and second base this spring, and Tommy Hunter will need to prove he's the man for the job in the ninth inning. Meanwhile, star third baseman Manny Machado continues his quick recovery from last year's gruesome knee injury, and he could yet be ready to go by Opening Day.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1969973-mlb-power-rankings-where-teams-stand-at-start-of-spring-training-games/page/15

17. Baltimore Orioles

The defense is stellar, the offense has productive stars, and the manager is proven, but are the O's good enough to match up with the elite teams in their division? (Gene J. Puskar/AP)

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014-02-25/baseball-power-rankings-2014-red-sox-yankees-dodgers-cardinals/slide/15

14 Baltimore

Orioles 85-77 2 6/14 Back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since 1996-97

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mlb/rankings/

22. Baltimore Orioles

PECOTA Projected Wins: 78

Las Vegas Wins Over/Under: 80.5

Consensus Offseason Grade: D+

Key Additions: SP Ubaldo Jimenez, OF Nelson Cruz, 2B Jemile Weeks

Key Losses: RP Jim Johnson, SP Scott Feldman, SP Jason Hammel, RP Francisco Rodriguez, 1B Mike Morse, OF Nate McLouth

http://www.businessinsider.in/sports/mlb/mlb-power-rankings-heres-where-every-team-stands-at-the-start-of-spring-training/22-Baltimore-Orioles-85-wins-last-year/slideshow/31297542.cms

Power Rankings mean nothing really. I remember up until middle of September in 2012 that the O's were in the mid to low 20's.

Personally I see Boston regressing quite a bit. I don't see the Yankees being as good as people are making them out to be.

I think Tampa is the best team in the division (excellent pitching, excellent defense, so-so offense). Boston's season is entirely dependent on Lester and Bucholz. They got lucky last year in the sense that Lackey turned into Super Lackey and summoned his inner Cy Young.

So:

1. Tampa

2./3./4. Red Sox, O's, Yankees

5. Blue Jays

I certainly wouldn't put the Red Sox in the top 3. Maybe top 10. But they're not nearly as good as they were last year, IMHO.

Personally I see Boston regressing quite a bit. I don't see the Yankees being as good as people are making them out to be.

I think Tampa is the best team in the division (excellent pitching, excellent defense, so-so offense). Boston's season is entirely dependent on Lester and Bucholz. They got lucky last year in the sense that Lackey turned into Super Lackey and summoned his inner Cy Young.

So:

1. Tampa

2./3./4. Red Sox, O's, Yankees

5. Blue Jays

I certainly wouldn't put the Red Sox in the top 3. Maybe top 10. But they're not nearly as good as they were last year, IMHO.

The Rays are being underrated by many on here. Their offense is underrated by everyone as it is the first thing people bring up to discredit them. However, the Rays were an above average offensive club last year (108 wRC+) and I don't think they lost anything and get a full year of Myers. They will be just fine offensively.

Just the other day, I was asked if the Orioles are one of the top 15 teams in baseball. I said yes... but I'm not sure about top 10. Seeing teams like the Braves get hammered by pitching injuries in the span of 4 days just shows you have quick someone can rise or fall from these types of rankings.

22. Baltimore Orioles

PECOTA Projected Wins: 78

Las Vegas Wins Over/Under: 80.5

Consensus Offseason Grade: D+

Key Additions: SP Ubaldo Jimenez, OF Nelson Cruz, 2B Jemile Weeks

Key Losses: RP Jim Johnson, SP Scott Feldman, SP Jason Hammel, RP Francisco Rodriguez, 1B Mike Morse, OF Nate McLouth

I can understand a D+ a couple weeks ago, but I don't see how you can say its a D+ now. And they say Weeks is a key addition but not Yoon, J. Santana or Webb?

http://www.businessinsider.in/sports/mlb/mlb-power-rankings-heres-where-every-team-stands-at-the-start-of-spring-training/22-Baltimore-Orioles-85-wins-last-year/slideshow/31297542.cms

This has to be the worst poll I have ever seen.

The Orioles are 22nd and won 85 games last year and added Jimenez Cruz

The Angels, who won 78 games and added Ibanez, are 8th

The Giants, who won 76 games and added Hudson, are 9th

The Yankees, like the Orioles won 85 games, added some good players and lost some good players, but I think they are maybe a small bump at best above last year, are 12th

The Mariners, who won 71 games are 14th

The best a team behind had was 11 wins less than us, and a slew more ahead of us. This poll is garbage

This has to be the worst poll I have ever seen.

The Orioles are 22nd and won 85 games last year and added Jimenez Cruz

The Angels, who won 78 games and added Ibanez, are 8th

The Giants, who won 76 games and added Hudson, are 9th

The Yankees, like the Orioles won 85 games, added some good players and lost some good players, but I think they are maybe a small bump at best above last year, are 12th

The Mariners, who won 71 games are 14th

The best a team behind had was 11 wins less than us, and a slew more ahead of us. This poll is garbage

Are you saying Business Insider India isn't a reputable baseball source? :D

A few more...

14. Baltimore Orioles

The Orioles have a solid team, but a serious lack of starting pitching doomed them last season. Because of that deficiency in the starting rotation the O?s have been in on nearly every starting pitcher available this offseason signing Ubaldo Jimenezand are still in on Santana. Even if they add Santana and create what would be a great starting rotation they are still going to have a problem getting past the defending champion Red Sox, the Rays, and hold off the much improve New York Yankees.

http://edraft.com/mlb/news/2014-mlb-power-rankings-spring-training-edition/

13.) Baltimore Orioles: A flurry of late off-season signings have put the orange birds in a much better position to compete in the toughest division in sports. The O?s have extensive depth in the rotation, a strong lineup, and the best defense in Major League Baseball. The only knock against them is their lack of southpaws in the bullpen. Matusz is solid, but after that there is a grey area.

http://bosoxinjection.com/2014/03/09/mlb-power-rankings-spring-training-edition/

18. Baltimore Orioles ? Is Ubaldo Jimenez a true #1 and is this bullpen good enough?

http://outsidepitchmlb.com/category/2014-power-rankings/

16. Baltimore Orioles Best Case: RHP Ubaldo Jimenez continues 2014 the way he closed out 2013 and assumes a role at the top of the rotation. Kevin Gausman starts the year in AAA, but pitches his way into a spot in the big league rotation in June and contends for AL Rookie of the Year. 3B Manny Machado recovers quickly, debuting at the beginning of May, and resumes his Brooks Robinson impersonation. Chris Davis continues crushing AL pitching while again leading the AL in HR?s. Adam Jones continues to be one of the most underappreciated players in baseball. Nelson Cruz mashes in the middle of the lineup in a park that should suit him well. RHP Dylan Bundy?s rehab goes well and he pitches in September for the Orioles. The Orioles finish in third in the AL East, but manage to get the second AL Wildcard.

Worst Case: OF Nelson Cruz struggles with timing after his PED suspension at the end of 2013 causing him to struggle at the plate. RHP Ubaldo Jimenez reverts to the form he showed in 2012 and the first half of 2013. Bud Norris gets shelled in the rotation before being sent to the bullpen where he turns his season around. Bundy?s rehab does not go smoothly and he not only misses 2014, but also becomes a question mark for 2015. The Orioles bullpen struggles after they traded their closer Jim Johnson in the offseason. While not completely falling back to earth 1B Chris Davis puts up a more human 32 HR?s. The Orioles play well, but still finish last in the ultracompetitive AL East.

Prospect Watch: RHP Dylan Bundy was expected to help the big club in 2013 but ended up missing the year with Tommy John surgery. Bundy still ranks in the top 20 of most prospect lists and justifiably so. Bundy posted a 2.08 ERA with 119 K?s in 103.2 innings. While he is still likely to make a large impact for the Orioles, Bundy shows the inherent risk with any pitching prospect. RHP Kevin Gausman struggled when he was promoted to the big leagues, but has the pedigree where he should make a large impact, maybe bigger than Bundy?s, with the Orioles after being selected fourth overall in the 2012 draft. The Orioles selected a pitcher in the first round again in 2013 by taking Hunter Harvey. Harvey pitched sparingly in rookie ball after being selected but had 33 K?s in 25.1 innings with a 1.78 ERA.

Read more at http://www.commdiginews.com/sports/mlb-power-rankings-16-baltimore-orioles-11746/#E12XUH1zfPZYjVGh.99

http://www.commdiginews.com/sports/mlb-power-rankings-16-baltimore-orioles-11746/

So consensus seems to be around mid teens.

Archived