Orioles 6th in SI Power Rankings

MeSoHardy

I agree.

I think that we are somewhere between #4 and # 6.

ESPN's Buster Olney agrees.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This week's power rankings: 1. Oakland 2. Angels 3. Dodgers 4. Orioles 5. Brewers 6. WAS 7. SF 8. Detroit 9. TOR10. St. Louis. Fire away.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">July 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Personally, I think these talking head rankings aren't of any real value.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oo

(AUGUST 4th)

The Orioles are up 2 spots from last week (7 to 5.)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings

1)1 Athletics (67-43)

2)1 Angels (66-44)

3)1 Dodgers (63-49)

4)1 Tigers (61-47)

5)1 ORIOLES (62-48)

6)1 Brewers (61-51)

7)1 Nationals (60-49)

8)1 Giants (60-51)

9)1 Pirates (59-52)

10) BLUE JAYS (60-53)

11) Cardinals (59-51)

12) Braves (58-54)

13) Mariners (57-54)

14) YANKEES (57-53)

15) Royals (57-53)

16) Reds (56-55)

17) D-RAYS (54-57)

18) Marlins (54-57)

19) Indians (56-55)

20) White Sox (54-58)

21) Mets (53-58)

22) Padres (51-60)

23) RED SOX (49-62)

24) Twins (50-60)

25) Diamondbacks (49-63)

26) Cubs (47-63)

27) Phillies (49-63)

28) Rockies (44-67)

29) Astros (47-65)

30) Rangers (43-68)

I have to admit I'm a little more upset than usual about the rankings this week (and significantly more upset than I should be).

The Angels had a great 2 weeks... when they weren't playing the Orioles. Rather than lazily go with the standings order, I think the Orioles should be ahead of the Angels for having a significantly superior week particularly over the Angels

I have to admit I'm a little more upset than usual about the rankings this week (and significantly more upset than I should be).

The Angels had a great 2 weeks... when they weren't playing the Orioles. Rather than lazily go with the standings order, I think the Orioles should be ahead of the Angels for having a significantly superior week particularly over the Angels

You stole my thunder. How is it we basically manhandle the Angels taking 4 out of 6 games over a week and a half and they're still ranked higher than us?

What did TonyS say? These rankings aren't of any real value. Yeah, I'll go with that.

To be fair, power rankings are based on where the writer believes teams are ranked in comparison to all other teams, not based merely on head-to-head competition. They serve primarily to generate conversation and reflect one person's (or possibly a group of writer's) opinion(s). The seem to be pretty effective at meeting those objectives.

Is the World Series winner the best team? Not always. '69 O's were definitely a better team than the Mets!! If you took a power poll the day before that WS began, you'd find nearly every one agreed. The WS winner is more likely one of a few very good teams that got hot at the right time. So, just think of power polls in that way and you won't lose too much sleep over them!

To be fair, power rankings are based on where the writer believes teams are ranked in comparison to all other teams, not based merely on head-to-head competition. They serve primarily to generate conversation and reflect one person's (or possibly a group of writer's) opinion(s). The seem to be pretty effective at meeting those objectives.

Is the World Series winner the best team? Not always. '69 O's were definitely a better team than the Mets!! If you took a power poll the day before that WS began, you'd find nearly every one agreed. The WS winner is more likely one of a few very good teams that got hot at the right time. So, just think of power polls in that way and you won't lose too much sleep over them!

Interestingly, the favorites lost every World Series that the Orioles have played in. The Orioles were favored vs. the Mets, Pirates, and Pirates; and were the underdogs vs. the Dodgers, Reds, and Phillies.

FWIW, which isn't much...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This week's Top 10: 1. Oakland 2. Orioles 3. Angels 4. Dodgers 5. Kansas City 6. Milwaukee 7. Detroit 8. WAS 9. Seattle 10. STL. Fire away.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">August 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FWIW, which isn't much...

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;" title="Embedded Tweet" height="0"></iframe>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Road to series goes through the A's. Bout right, but we'll still be playing the Boys in Blue come October.

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

Archived