• Last Reply
o

(SEPTEMBER 1st)

The Orioles move up one spot, to # 3.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings

1)1 Angels (83-53)

2)1 Nationals (77-58)

3)1 ORIOLES (79-56)

And Larkin has us sitting in 2nd, just behind the Angels.

And the Orioles have played well against the Angels this season, also.

I don't think that there are any teams that are head and shoulders, well above the Orioles right now.

This is definitely a season of opportunity for them (the Orioles.)

I don't think that there are any teams that are head and shoulders, well above the Orioles right now.

Indeed. We seem to do quite well against the best teams, especially after May.

The Angels rotation is problematic for the PS but much like us their BP is lights out. As long as they can get to the 5th inning they are in good shape.

Shoemaker has really come into his own since losing to us and really only made two bad pitches in that game that were hit for HR. Santiago has pitched well also, but a Weaver doesn't scare me and Wilson has not pitched well since coming off the DL.

I don't know how they get through this month with only four starters. They just DFAed Wade LeBlanc after one start and they probably go with an assortment of untested minor league players in e meantime.

The Angels rotation is problematic for the PS but much like us their BP is lights out. As long as they can get to the 5th inning they are in good shape.

Shoemaker has really come into his own since losing to us and really only made two bad pitches in that game that were hit for HR. Santiago has pitched well also, but a Weaver doesn't scare me and Wilson has not pitched well since coming off the DL.

I don't know how they get through this month with only four starters. They just DFAed Wade LeBlanc after one start and they probably go with an assortment of untested minor league players in e meantime.

Could help us with that 3.5 game difference in the standings right now :clap3:

Could help us with that 3.5 game difference in the standings right now :clap3:

As it stands right now, I think we are right where we want to be as the #2 seed. Let Oak play Det and then the winner play the Angels. I will be perfectly happy to have home field advantage vs. the Royals.

As it stands right now, I think we are right where we want to be as the #2 seed. Let Oak play Det and then the winner play the Angels. I will be perfectly happy to have home field advantage vs. the Royals.

Tigers/Royals are split by a half game right now. I don't think Royals are comfortable in 1st by any stretch. Also, don't forget the #1 seed would include HFA in the LCS as well.

After all the weeks where ESPN kept leaping teams ahead of the O's, the O's are finally moving up to #2 in the ESPN power rankings this week behind the Angels. The Nationals finally fall to #3 with the Dodgers are at #4. Cardinals make the big jump this week to #7.

After all the weeks where ESPN kept leaping teams ahead of the O's, the O's are finally moving up to #2 in the ESPN power rankings this week behind the Angels. The Nationals finally fall to #3 with the Dodgers are at #4. Cardinals make the big jump this week to #7.

The Cardinals' run, combined with the Brewers' implosion, is remarkable.

The Cardinals' run, combined with the Brewers' implosion, is remarkable.

Last week I had a take on it, over in the M.L.B. section:

o

THE BREWERS' LONG-TERM STUMBLE

(by OFFNY)

On June 28th, the Milwaukee Brewers were sitting pretty atop the N.L. Central, with a 6 and-a-half game lead over the Cardinals.

They had just beaten the Colorado Rockies by a score of 7-4, and had gone 21-10 over a 5-week period ..... a stretch that saw them increase their lead in the division from 1.5 games to 6.5 games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

Since then, the Milwaukee-ans have gone 22-32, and have seen their once relatively comfortable lead vanish, and are now a game behind the Redbirds. That 22-32 stretch covers 54 games, 1/3 of the entire season.

The Cardinals, for their part, have had their ups and downs, but each time that it looked like they might be ready to bow out of the race, they have managed to get up off of the canvas and land a solid combination to remind all that they have no intention of going anywhere.

The division is completely up for grabs. The Brewers are hoping to take that statement at face value. The Cardinals are hoping that the Brewers long, painful fall from grace over the last 54 games (1/3 of the season) is evidence that THEY (the Cardinals) have an advantage down the stretch.

Regardless of who prevails, it will be an exciting final 4 weeks of the season in the N.L. Central, with the Pirates trying their very best to throw their hat into the ring, as well.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3612221

Since I wrote that, the Brewers have gone 1-6.

The Cards are best when it matters. Probably my personal bet to win it all right now.

They also have the easiest schedule for the remainder of the season. Series against the Brewers, Reds (2), Rockies, Diamondbacks, and Cubs. The only team with a winning record is the Brewers and they are horrible lately. I think that with pitching the Cubs have, they would even be tougher than the Brewers at this point in the season.

Archived