Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

Effective pitching in other words. Zach was rightly - if uncharitably - criticized for giving Cespedes and Donaldson strikes to hit the night before. I genuinely don't understand why everyone isn't ecstatic about Britton's emergence as a closer. All things considered, we have every right to expect more rough spots than we've been given but with the exception of the two meltdowns, he's been solid.

I just want more options. I don't believe that our current players with closing experience are enough.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Effective pitching in other words. Zach was rightly - if uncharitably - criticized for giving Cespedes and Donaldson strikes to hit the night before. I genuinely don't understand why everyone isn't ecstatic about Britton's emergence as a closer. All things considered, we have every right to expect more rough spots than we've been given but with the exception of the two meltdowns, he's been solid.

For me it is future cost. He's a Super 2 to boot.

Or you want to have a straightforward way to manage workload. But I guess slavish devotion to orthodoxy could be it.

This. The comments regarding buck's use off the bullpen is this thread are way off base. Buck has done a phenomenal job of spreading the workload around and keeping O'day and others available to put out future fires by not working them to death. This bullpen is pitching a ton of innings, especially high leverage innings, and Buck's bullpen management Is one of the reasons the bullpen is still effective and the O's have a winning record. Hard to believe there's so much knee-jerk criticism of his bullpen use when all the evidence strongly shows that this is one of his strengths. The "save rule slave" stuff is just ridiculous. If he's a slave to the rule then he should stick to it because the bullpen is the strongest component of this team.

This. The comments regarding buck's use off the bullpen is this thread are way off base. Buck has done a phenomenal job of spreading the workload around and keeping O'day and others available to put out future fires by not working them to death. This bullpen is pitching a ton of innings, especially high leverage innings, and Buck's bullpen management Is one of the reasons the bullpen is still effective and the O's have a winning record. Hard to believe there's so much knee-jerk criticism of his bullpen use when all the evidence strongly shows that this is one of his strengths. The "save rule slave" stuff is just ridiculous. If he's a slave to the rule then he should stick to it because the bullpen is the strongest component of this team.

Buck is a far superior manager than many will acknowledge.

If I have one nit pick with Buck its this gotta have a defined closer. IMHO we should have just sent back out Hunter WHY did Britton even need to be in there? yea I KNOW the closer rule. I hate that so called rule Hunter was smok'in send him back out. :slytf:

I try to avoid contractions with the verb “is” when you are using it with a noun.

Any particular reason? It doesn't run afoul of any grammatical rules [of which] that I'm aware [of].

(See, I gave you options. That's value-added internet commenting.)

Eh...that's a stylistic preference, but you won't find it written as a rule in any style guides. Accordingly, I embrace my excessive informality :P

Where did I declare or even imply that it would be found as a written rule in any style guide? I was merely giving my preference.

Where did I declare or even imply that it would be found as a written rule in any style guide? I was merely giving my preference.

The way in which you stated your preference made it sound like a prescription. Either way, I can see why that kind of contraction would be confusing in certain contexts, but I don't think there are many ways to confuse "bar's been set too high," because...the bar's [what]? There's nothing to possess in that sentence.

Archived