Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And there are 40 relief pitchers (20 inn min) averaging 10.62/9 or better.

However 9.7 is a noticeable improvement.

Despite fewer strikeouts, he's getting more batters out. That's much more important to the team. Add in that Britton is keeping the ball in the park (3 HRs over 52 IPs) and you have to say he's been doing exceptionally well in the closer role.

And there are 40 relief pitchers (20 inn min) averaging 10.62/9 or better.

However 9.7 is a noticeable improvement.

Shows how over-valued strikeouts are when 38 of those 40 pitchers are performing at nearly the same level of success as Britton.

Despite fewer strikeouts, he's getting more batters out. That's much more important to the team. Add in that Britton is keeping the ball in the park (3 HRs over 52 IPs) and you have to say he's been doing exceptionally well in the closer role.

I was just refuting another posters point, not making a greater point of my own.

• 2 weeks later...
If only we could get him to mimic throwing a spear, shooting a Tommy Gun or tossing a grenade after each save. Then we'd have a real closer.

I meant the guy to fill the Miller role, that used to be filled with Britton. It is a pretty perfect gang of five with Brach, Hunter, Miller, O'Day and Britton. I would not want to bank on scoring on them to often if I were opposition.

I meant the guy to fill the Miller role, that used to be filled with Britton. It is a pretty perfect gang of five with Brach, Hunter, Miller, O'Day and Britton. I would not want to bank on scoring on them to often if I were opposition.

Yes, I got that.... and you you think "Britton as closer" works for you now, correct?

Archived