Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

You and I are not reading that sentence the same!

Is it possible that Oakland and Detriot are not as good as they were before they traded Cespedes, Jackson and Smyly?

If we trade Jones for Price or Lester, are we a better team?

Oh my Fn god. Are you serious with this. Everyone was already talking about how Lester being a two month rental is stupid.

Yet you want to compare Jones who just signed a 6 or 7 year deal to a guy who has had two good years and will be a FA. Absured.

I'm not knocking on those trades for a TOR starter but it seems like everyone is now predicting a OAK-DET ALCS. Detroit seems to be the playoff opponent for the O's (if of course they make it). I just think it's an interesting topic. How much better did they really get this season and going into the playoffs? They'll gain about a win, maybe less, the rest of the season. The playoffs are really interesting though with Detroit. They downgrade from Jackson to Davis, they downgrade in the bullpen from an already weak pen (Smyly would have moved to the pen where is he awesome), and Rick Porcello is now no longer going to be starting in the playoffs (3rd best SP behind Scherzer and Sanchez in WAR, 2nd most IP/start, lowest ERA, 2nd lowest WHIP...all these rankings being without Price).

So looking at a potential BAL/DET ALDS matchup I don't think that much has changed. They significantly down grade their weak spot (bullpen) and lineup while putting Price in the mix while losing a very good pitcher from their postseason rotation (Porcello). Obviously Price is still a pretty big upgrade over Porcello in a postseason matchup but is it worth downgrading the other areas? Honestly, they may have been a pretty equal team heading into the post season just trading for the guy we got (Miller), letting Porcello start, keeping Jackson, and moving Smyly into the bullpen which would make it a very formidable pen (Miller, Smyly, Soria, Albuquerque, Nathan). I think it's just a pretty interesting topic and I would still take my chances in a series against Detroit.

It is easier to say there will be a OAK/DET ALCS this year (based off their moves and current roster) than it is to day Bundy will be a ACE in two years. Dont ya think?

Also how did they lose Porcello? From what I've seen he is still their fifth starter. Also Austin Jackson isnt that great. Two, how do you know Smyly would be effective as a Pen Arm?

And youll still take your chances in a series with Detroit? What other option will we have?

I don't understand how the As adding JS and Lester and DET adding Price doesn't make them better?

Other than defense, id take Delmon Young over Austin Jackson and now with their pitching, they wont have to worry about their defense.

And yes, we coikd.definately.rock.Price in the playoffs. Hes not Kershaw. But when you face Sherzer, Verlander, Price, and Sanchez...tell me how youd feel comfortable with our strikeout prone lineup against those arms.

Edited by PA724_Oriole

How do you feel about Eduardo Rodriguez (a top 5 prospect) for 2 months (not 1 year and 2 months) of Andrew Miller?

FWIW, Keith Law is lauding Boston getting E-Rod for a two-month Miller rental. Personally, I am not concerned with losing E-Rod and am excited to get another quality arm in the best bullpen in the AL.

FWIW, Keith Law is lauding Boston getting E-Rod for a two-month Miller rental. Personally, I am not concerned with losing E-Rod and am excited to get another quality arm in the best bullpen in the AL.

I agree. Losing prospects is nothing to me because if they were THAT good, they wouldnt be prospects, they would be major leaguers.

It is easier to say there will be a OAK/DET ALCS this year (based off their moves and current roster) than it is to day Bundy will be a ACE in two years. Dont ya think?

Also how did they lose Porcello? From what I've seen he is still their fifth starter. Also Austin Jackson isnt that great. Two, how do you know Smyly would be effective as a Pen Arm?

And youll still take your chances in a series with Detroit? What other option will we have?

I don't understand how the As adding JS and Lester and DET adding Price doesn't make them better?

Other than defense, id take Delmon Young over Austin Jackson and now with their pitching, they wont have to worry about their defense.

And yes, we coikd.definately.rock.Price in the playoffs. Hes not Kershaw. But when you face Sherzer, Verlander, Price, and Sanchez...tell me how youd feel comfortable with our strikeout prone lineup against those arms.

I didn't say anything about Oakland. Porcello likely won't start in the playoffs. Smyly was very effective as a reliever last season and in limited action this season. Jackson was their everyday CF'er and rightfully so.

Right, I mean most good players went straight from high school to the majors.

Chris Leake!

But for real, TNSTAAPP.

Look at our Cavalry. Where are they now? Our worst bullpen option, our closer, one was so bad we traded him to the Cubs, and one finally turned the corner in our rotation just last season. So out of four high-end prospects, only one has done enough to warrant starting for us, and he took a while to get there.

Between ERod, Bundy, Gausman, and Harvey, ERod is the guy on the outside looking in for me. He doesn't have the pedigree the others have, and really only has a half season at double AA with serious success.

With out history, we are better off using pitching prospects as currency, just like with this deal.

What illusion? It's all speculation, not an illusion. No one wants to fool anybody here.

I want trades made because it will help the team IN MY SPECULATION. Just like some of you want to speculate that Bundy is going to be the next Strasburg or better.

No one will know how these trades or non trades will with out at least four the rest of this year. But there is no doubt in my mind Trading Bundy and other smaller pieces would make this team better this year had we got one of the three pitchers we were chasing.

According to YOU, we should have made more trades to improve. Well, what deals, what players, what positions should we have traded for? What should we have traded from them? Do all trades work out? Are they all improvements? Ever heard the saying, Sometimes the best trades are the ones you DON'T make?

This was way too much for Miller. Rodriguez, even with his mixed results this year, is a very nice prospect. Two months of a reliever doesn't come close. Similar to and even worse than Delmonico-for-KRod.

Delmonico for Krod was a bad trade? More of not worth mentioning trade. How many games have you seen Rodriquez pitch? I am guessing the Os thought he wasn't going to be a solid major league pitcher so moving him made sense.

I didn't say anything about Oakland. Porcello likely won't start in the playoffs. Smyly was very effective as a reliever last season and in limited action this season. Jackson was their everyday CF'er and rightfully so.

Yes you did. In your first sentence about the ALCS. which is all I said as well and have my reasoning why most ppl are seeing that matchup in the ALCS.

Also I forgot about Smyly being in the pen last year. But with JJ we all know what one year canado.

Also Jackson is no more than a defender. He's a David Lough with a bit more consistency at the plate.

But if you could have told me we could trade Bundy, Gonzo (which, IMO is the equivalent to Smyly) and Delmon Young or David Lough for Price through 2015, SIGN ME UP! Right?

Right, I mean most good players went straight from high school to the majors.

You make that out to be a joke but in the past five years or so, YOUNGER players have been coming in at a early young age with little to no experience in the minors and excelling in the Majors.

Kershaw

Bryce Harper

Trout

Sale

Machado

Jose Abreu ( not sure of his age but he had no experince in minors or majors)

Strasburg

I'm sure if I dig I could find plenty more.

Point is, the superstars can catch on right away. Bundy/Harvey/Erod might turn out to be very good. But with this team and the position they are in and the possibility of the losses this team could endure. There is no dyer reason for them to hang on to a Bundy if he can net you a Price or Lester.

I can understand passing on Lester because of the rental aspect. But how can you say no to Price for the next year and a half?

Don't you get dizzy using that kind of logic?

Not really.

Besides Machado and Wieters name me one oriole prospect in recent years that emerged as a superstar?

Tillman

Jones

Davis

All from trades.

Cruz

Jimenez

Hardy

All FAs

Other than Wieters and Machado the Os strikeout every year on prospects.

All of our current players were out casts or pretty much given to us from other teams.

And some of you guys think our in house pitching prospects are so good, yet the FO is in love with going after Astro pitching,fof all teams.

So to me. Recent history tells me the Os make out HUGE when they make trades more than drafting and grooming their own players. Prove me wrong.