Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

I am also over not having Jose Bautista and Jayson Werth on this team. And I am over not drafting Mike Trout. Stuff happens. It gave us the best chance we have had since 1997 of being in the World Series. I hope his arm falls off just so we don't have to hear this every time he pitches against us for the next five years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, obviously you didn't read full my post. I stated that if EdRod ends up with a career similar to CC Sabathia, will this be just as bad as the Glenn Davis trade? I'm proposing a hypothetical. I think someone else is jumping to conclusions.

No, not even close. Schilling in his prime was way, way better than CC in his prime, and Schilling sustained his prime longer than CC. Plus Finley and Harnisch. The Davis trade was the worst trade ever. This has the potential to be merely a bad trade.

Nothing is worse than the Glenn Davis trade. Eddie Murray trade sucked too. Anything Syd Thrift touched....

Andrew Miller helped us, it just wasn't enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baseball karma...we got Frank Robby for Milt Pappas and Jones/Tillman for Bedard...Davis trade is our payback fail.

No, obviously you didn't read full my post. I stated that if EdRod ends up with a career similar to CC Sabathia, will this be just as bad as the Glenn Davis trade? I'm proposing a hypothetical. I think someone else is jumping to conclusions.

BTW, I'm not condemning the front office or saying that we shouldn't have made the trade at the time. I was more or less neutral on the trade when it occurred. I thought it was high risk and wasn't happy that Miller was a two month rental. I felt a player like EdRod should have gotten at least a year and change of Miller.

We also didn't win anything with Miller. I don't care what anyone says. He wasn't the difference in us winning the division because as good as he was he wasn't worth 12 games. And maybe the Tigers series is closer (4-1 or 4-2), but we win that one too. So in the end he wasn't a difference maker.

No one is jumping to conclusions here. I am proposing a question. I think it is UNDENIABLE that EdRod's stuff is comparable to a prime CC.

I think one of the reasons the Orioles made the push to acquire him was to keep him away from the Tigers.

The Tigers bullpen was a mess last year and Miller would have been their closer had they acquired him.

I beg to differ that he has not a difference maker. He was pretty much lights out in the set up role once he was acquired.

Here's a bit of his pitching line from last year with the Orioles (from Baseball reference):

23 games 2-0 1 save 1.35 ERA 20 IP 34 k's 4 BB WHiP 0.600.

You may disagree but I think he made a difference in the stretch drive.

No, not even close. Schilling in his prime was way, way better than CC in his prime, and Schilling sustained his prime longer than CC. Plus Finley and Harnisch. The Davis trade was the worst trade ever. This has the potential to be merely a bad trade.

Schilling was already somewhat of a failed prospect when he was traded. More of a Jake Arrietta scenario.

Obviously from a results standpoint nothing will compare to the Glenn Davis trade. But I think there are some mitigating factors at play there. Most notably that the team we traded those guys to didn't get the benefit of the bulk of their productivity. That's not going to be the case with the Red Sox and EdRod.

Don't forget that he is also in our division and we will have to face him five times a year until 2021 at the earliest.

I would also include on our historic pluses ....the Ken Singleton, Mike Torrez to us for Dave McNally who retired, Rich Coggins deal...and the Scott McGregor, Tippy Martinez, Rick Dempsey for the over the hills Elrod, Doyle Alexander, Grant Jackson, Ken Holtzman deal.

I think one of the reasons the Orioles made the push to acquire him was to keep him away from the Tigers.

The Tigers bullpen was a mess last year and Miller would have been their closer had they acquired him.

I beg to differ that he has not a difference maker. He was pretty much lights out in the set up role once he was acquired.

Here's a bit of his pitching line from last year with the Orioles (from Baseball reference):

23 games 2-0 1 save 1.35 ERA 20 IP 34 k's 4 BB WHiP 0.600.

You may disagree but I think he made a difference in the stretch drive.

He made as much of a difference as anyone on the team down the stretch, sure.

But no one player was the difference between us winning or not winning the division or making or not making the ALCS after August 1.

I would also include on our historic pluses ....the Ken Singleton, Mike Torrez to us for Dave McNally who retired, Rich Coggins deal...and the Scott McGregor, Tippy Martinez, Rick Dempsey for the over the hills Elrod, Doyle Alexander, Grant Jackson, Ken Holtzman deal.

Frank Robinson, Adam Jones.....

He made as much of a difference as anyone on the team down the stretch, sure.

But no one player was the difference between us winning or not winning the division or making or not making the ALCS after August 1.

Disagree.

His numbers don't lie.

He was the perfect set up man for the bullpen at that point in time.

They may have won the division without him, but once they acquired him it was game over if they were up by a run in the seventh.

Schilling was already somewhat of a failed prospect when he was traded. More of a Jake Arrietta scenario.

Obviously from a results standpoint nothing will compare to the Glenn Davis trade. But I think there are some mitigating factors at play there. Most notably that the team we traded those guys to didn't get the benefit of the bulk of their productivity. That's not going to be the case with the Red Sox and EdRod.

Don't forget that he is also in our division and we will have to face him five times a year until 2021 at the earliest.

I just hope we don't have this same thread every time till then. And that presumes an awful lot. Like health for instance. Ever think any pitcher ever gets hurt between now and 2021?