The Countdown to 90 wins

SilentJames

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles need only two more wins.

The Orioles could finish the season 2-12.

This would force the Blue Jays to go 14-1 to win the division. The Yankees would need to go 15-0 to win the division.

Seeing as how the Yankees and Jays have four games left against each other - And the Jays have six games remaining against the Orioles. Though the mathematical number is still 5 - looking at the schedule I don't see a scenario where these teams catch the Orioles.

If the Orioles were to go on a 14 game losing streak:

Toronto would have to finish their year 12-3. meaning they would have to beat the Orioles in all six of their remaining games and go 6-3 in the others. They would have to sweep the Yankees in New York in four games, and then win two of their five remaining games against the Mariners (4) and Rays (1 - today).

If the Orioles were to go on a 14 game losing streak, the Blue Jays would have to go 12-2 to finish the year to win the division.

Bottom line, no matter what the Orioles do from here on out, the four games remaining between the Yankees and Jays, it is likely that (if the Orioles haven't already clinched) that they will knock each other out of the division race by then.

4 Rays 2-2 Went 3-1

4 Twins 2-2 Went 3-1

3 Reds 2-1 Went 3-0

3 @Rays 1-2 Went 1-2

3 @ Bos 2-1 Went 3-0

4 NYY 2-2 Went 3-1

3 Tor 2-1

3 Bos 2-1

4 @NYY 2-2

3 @ Tor 2-1

Orioles finish 92-70.

Loving this plus 5.

The Orioles need to win only one more game. If that win comes against the Blue Jays it means that no matter what happens the best that the Jays/ Yankees could hope for is a one-game playoff after the Orioles go on a massive losing streak and on of them wins out.

And considering that they play each other four times, if one of them doesn't sweep, it becomes impossible.

I said 90 wins, turns out the Orioles only mathematically needed 91.

Right now I have an easier time imagining the Yankees going 23-11 than I do the O's going 17-17.
Since that statement was made:

Orioles - 16-5

Yankees - 10-10

So ......

If the Orioles finish the season by going 1-12, and the Yankees finish the season by going 13-1, he will at least have been half correct ......

Correct about the Yankees going 23-11 ......

Not correct about the Orioles, whom he doubted could go at least 17-17.

Archived