Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

Not defending Chris Davis for breaking the rules. Merely saying that the rules for TUEs are too stringent and need to be changed. It would be like not allowing a person in a wheelchair to work somewhere because there is no wheelchair ramp. Go find somewhere else to work and stay in your wheelchair till your heart's content.
I'd like to know more about the JDA and how they decide to deny exemptions for prescribed medications. I'm curious what grounds it was that Davis lost the exemption. If they gave it the first time, and he's still being prescribed it, what changed?

I do not want to get anyone upset. These medications have much written about them and indeed we have testimonials about life enhancing changes after being prescribed them. The percentage of baseball players having prescriptions is SO DRASTICALLY higher than in the general population that their use among players would have to be perceived as performance enhancing and not life affirming. It appears that it is something that players learn about early and in the competitive arena, make use of withing laws and agreements. A tremendously disproportionate percentage.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do not want to get anyone upset. These medications have much written about them and indeed we have testimonials about life enhancing changes after being prescribed them. The percentage of baseball players having prescriptions is SO DRASTICALLY higher than in the general population that their use among players would have to be perceived as performance enhancing and not life affirming. It appears that it is something that players learn about early and in the competitive arena, make use of withing laws and agreements. A tremendously disproportionate percentage.

That is what I had previously heard.

Today I see this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Using most recent CDC numbers, *LESS* MLB players have ADHD than general public rate (9.2 vs 11 in 2011). *</p>— Will Carroll (@injuryexpert) <a href="

">September 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If it's performance enhancing, why doesn't baseball consider a PED? If a guy can't play because his shoulder hurts, and they give him a cortisone shot so he can play, didn't they just enhance his performance going from not being able to play, to being able to play? From what I understand, cortisone shots are just fine, and they've helped a ton of players who otherwise wouldn't be able to play the game get back on the field. I guess I just don't know why Davis didn't get PED suspension if he was taking a performance enhancing drug, which clearly didn't enhance his performance this year anyway. When Zach Greinke was having panic attacks, and couldn't pitch, and he was prescribed medication to calm him down and control the symptoms of his panic attacks, isn't that basically cheating too? He used a drug to get him on the field, removing the panic attacks enhanced his performance, so whatever drug they gave him was a PED?

If it's performance enhancing, why doesn't baseball consider a PED? If a guy can't play because his shoulder hurts, and they give him a cortisone shot so he can play, didn't they just enhance his performance going from not being able to play, to being able to play? From what I understand, cortisone shots are just fine, and they've helped a ton of players who otherwise wouldn't be able to play the game get back on the field. I guess I just don't know why Davis didn't get PED suspension if he was taking a performance enhancing drug, which clearly didn't enhance his performance this year anyway. When Zach Greinke was having panic attacks, and couldn't pitch, and he was prescribed medication to calm him down and control the symptoms of his panic attacks, isn't that basically cheating too? He used a drug to get him on the field, removing the panic attacks enhanced his performance, so whatever drug they gave him was a PED?

Because that is the agreement management and the players' union reached.

That is what I had previously heard.

Today I see this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Using most recent CDC numbers, *LESS* MLB players have ADHD than general public rate (9.2 vs 11 in 2011). *</p>— Will Carroll (@injuryexpert) <a href="

">September 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is not what I have heard. And I don't believe it.

Using the "general population" is problematic on two fronts.

1) Half or more of the adults in this country grew up before ADHD was recognized as a learning disability. Most people have never been tested.

2) 2 to 3 times as many boys are diagnosed as girls, and the general population figure includes both sexes. Multiplying the general population stat by 1.5 would make it a little more accurate.

Using the "general population" is problematic on two fronts.

1) Half or more of the adults in this country grew up before ADHD was recognized as a learning disability. Most people have never been tested.

2) 2 to 3 times as many boys are diagnosed as girls, and the general population figure includes both sexes. Multiplying the general population stat by 1.5 would make it a little more accurate.

And who knows how many folks are faking just to get the script?

Apparently he had a TUE in TEX and his performance wasn't so hot. Then the TUE was denied in 2012-13 and he had career years. This year he is not performing as well. It would seem that the Adderall had no relation to enhancing his performance. If anything just the opposite. So is it possible he took it for other reasons relating to his ADHD condition and effecting him in his personal life, and not related to baseball at all?

Where was all this concern when Troy Patton got suspended? And any issues he had with this you could say the same thing about steroids. Some players aren't able to develop a lot of strength without steroids. No one states you have to play baseball. If you can't succeed at without drugs do something else with your life.

If this were Derek Jeter getting suspended no one would be defending him. There are rules and Chris broke this one twice. He could have said I am not going to play baseball anymore and take the drugs to his hearts content and no on would care.

Well, I'm ok with any "PED" use. As with anything steroids, adderall, HGH, etc. have tradeoffs. Costs and benefits.

I've defended Bonds on the issue, and I'd be ok with defending Chris Davis, Troy Patton, and Derek Jeter on it if need be. These professionals are adults and can decide for themselves what's best for their own bodies and performance.

Not even close to correct.

The epidemiology and prevalence of ADHD in adults in the U.S. Is certainly not a settled question as it has only recently been a research focus area unlike the disorder in children. Worldwide studies in children are close to 6 percent, however, again, this tells you very little about adult prevalence in the U.S. and even less about a miniscule sample of 750 individuals. A lay article looking specifically at baseball and ADHD also makes the point that this may not be excessively out of line given the population characteristics of baseball players.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-03/no-baseball-doesnt-have-a-fake-adhd-epidemic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The sensible thing to do is get the prescription in case you need it, then don't use it unless it necessary.

Not getting a waiver for something that might be needful isn't very smart.

Can't do that but you are correct, that would be the sensible thing to do. The opposite of smart is dumb, so MLB TUE policy must be dumb then.

For reference: http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20140912/dodgers-jp-howell-is-familiar-with-baseballs-rules-for-prescription-drug-use

He was denied using it in 2012-2013 by why do we assume he didn't use it in those years. He knew he would be tested this year and used it. He must have somehow thought he could get away with it. Maybe he did get away with it in 2012-2013.
Although your post is virtually unintelligible, I will attempt to respond to what I think you are trying to say even though I usually have you on ignore. The testing is good enough to catch him this year, why think it couldn't catch him last year when he was a poster boy for PED abuse given his numbers? It is much more likely, given the evidence we have, that it did nothing for his performance. Can you demonstrate other wise?

Archived