Concerns about Detroit

gmelson26

Detroit is the worst possible matchup. Then when the Orioles advance, the Angels will be the worst possible matchup. Then the NL champs will be the worst possible matchup.

I wonder if the Orioles lose sleep at night because they are afraid of the big bad Detroit Tigers.

The only thing I'm concerned about is making it from Comerica to my hotel on Sunday after the Os finish the sweep.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Detroit is the worst possible matchup. Then when the Orioles advance, the Angels will be the worst possible matchup. Then the NL champs will be the worst possible matchup.

I wonder if the Orioles lose sleep at night because they are afraid of the big bad Detroit Tigers.

The only thing I'm concerned about is making it from Comerica to my hotel on Sunday after the Os finish the sweep.

I've said before, we could easily sweep in 3. They should also fear elements of our team. But to not look at a playoff team and have a few concerns... seems biased, naive maybe? With a few days before we play, what's wrong with looking at some of the issues?

Interesting, I thought since the O's threw the game against the Yankees, that they were doomed? The Angels would not be the worst possible matchup, we pitch better than they do, and we can hit with them. The Tigers have the pitchers to dominate a short series, and they lead the league in offense.

Agreed.. in our favor though, I think Wallace and Chiti have turned our starters into different beasts from April and May. Post All-star break we have been pitching much better than DET... Cy Youngs or not.

One of the key things that is being overlooked here is, DET does have some good arms in the bullpen. They have some bad ones too. In a 5 game playoff series where its a maximum of 2 games in a row, You won't see the baddies that you might see in a regular season affair unless something really bad happens.

Bullpen depth will win you regular season games, but I'm not sure the 6th guy coming out of the pen whose main job it is to rest mainstay arms and get outs will be a factor in playoffs.

Its baseball, its playoffs, anything can happen. Did anyone project the final lines from the starters in the game last night?

But if You think we have pitched much better than DET, you are really selling the CY Young winners short. They didn't forget how to pitch. Verlander may have regressed from his high 90s heat days, but he still throws harder than most of our starters. lol.

The stats that pile up in a 162 game regular season don't matter anymore. We are facing a roster that's built for this.

One of the key things that is being overlooked here is, DET does have some good arms in the bullpen. They have some bad ones too. In a 5 game playoff series where its a maximum of 2 games in a row, You won't see the baddies that you might see in a regular season affair unless something really bad happens.

Bullpen depth will win you regular season games, but I'm not sure the 6th guy coming out of the pen whose main job it is to rest mainstay arms and get outs will be a factor in playoffs.

Its baseball, its playoffs, anything can happen. Did anyone project the final lines from the starters in the game last night?

But if You think we have pitched much better than DET, you are really selling the CY Young winners short. They didn't forget how to pitch. Verlander may have regressed from his high 90s heat days, but he still throws harder than most of our starters. lol.

The stats that pile up in a 162 game regular season don't matter anymore. We are facing a roster that's built for this.

But, they don't have 4 arms like the Orioles do for the 7-8-9th, Miller, Hunter, O'Day and Britton to contend with either.

Not to mention, have some other arms for middle relief, if needed.

I am not really getting your point.. what does the bad matchup for the Orioles... have anything to do with the players losing sleep?

We struggled with Detroit during the season but not the Angels... so yes I would much rather play them

I am not really getting your point.. what does the bad matchup for the Orioles... have anything to do with the players losing sleep?

We struggled with Detroit during the season but not the Angels... so yes I would much rather play them

The Orioles struggle with Detroit in the first week of May and very early in the season. They played the Angels, when they were in their stride.

This isn't the same team after the ASG and it was early in the year.

Interesting, I thought since the O's threw the game against the Yankees, that they were doomed? The Angels would not be the worst possible matchup, we pitch better than they do, and we can hit with them. The Tigers have the pitchers to dominate a short series, and they lead the league in offense.

Most people are aware of this potential but where has this been all season? They've been struggling around .500 for months now practically sleepwalking towards the finish. I'm skeptical that they can just turn on a switch and play lights-out dominant baseball much as everyone expected from Oakland. I'm not so sure they're as good as advertised. They've been playing about even with a lot of sub-500 teams the past 2 months but did take care of KC. We'll see soon enough.

They are in for a tough series and yeah, admittedly I didn't want to see this team in a 5-game series. I'd be much more confident in a 7-game series with these guys.

:agree:

So I decided not to make the 500 mile trip just to watch the Orioles play a far superior team.

But, they don't have 4 arms like the Orioles do for the 7-8-9th, Miller, Hunter, O'Day and Britton to contend with either.

Not to mention, have some other arms for middle relief, if needed.

Remember that time Cabrera smashed that HR off Hunter in the 9th?

DET still has enough guys to pitch 7,8th, and 9th. Its almost like You didn't read anything I wrote. I agree that our backend options are probably better than theirs.

But Each one of their starters routinely pitches 110-120 pitches. Verlander will get regular rest if he pitches game 2 and ALCS game 1......Hes going to pitch 130 if he's getting guys out.

So I decided not to make the 500 mile trip just to watch the Orioles play a far superior team.

500 Miles is a long way, but if baseball has taught me anything is that You never know. Lets go O's!

Remember that time Cabrera smashed that HR off Hunter in the 9th?

DET still has enough guys to pitch 7,8th, and 9th. Its almost like You didn't read anything I wrote. I agree that our backend options are probably better than theirs.

But Each one of their starters routinely pitches 110-120 pitches. Verlander will get regular rest if he pitches game 2 and ALCS game 1......Hes going to pitch 130 if he's getting guys out.

Sorry, but, they don't have me shaking in my boots scared to play them.

The 2014 Tigers are not as good as the 2012 Tigers.

The 2014 Orioles are much better than the 2012 Orioles.

Does this mean, the Orioles are a lock to win, no, that is why they play the game on the diamond.

LOL, I used to live in Detroit and I still stream some of the sports radio stations there quite frequently. I'm actually shocked at the level of confidence they have.

One of the shows is doing a poll about the level of confidence their fans have (1=Baltimore sweeps the Tigers, 10=Tigers sweep the Os), and the average so far is 8.5.

WOW. The radio guys are having a field day ripping on the people voting ("Are these the same people who were calling us calling for Brad Ausmus' head last week?")

The Orioles struggle with Detroit in the first week of May and very early in the season. They played the Angels, when they were in their stride.

This isn't the same team after the ASG and it was early in the year.

The same Orioles team struggled with the Cubs. The facts are the Tigers are far better then the Cubs. Meaning regular season series comparisons don't really matter.

On paper the Tigers are far better than the Orioles who are down 2.5 all stars..(Machado, Wieters, and Davis' glove)

This Tigers team is not the 2012 NYY who were old, banged up, and A roided.

I still have faith in the Orioles (not trying to be a debbie downer) but Detroit will be the toughest challenge in the postseason.

No, I saw you originated it. Just didn't add both quotes. Made me want t go down the basement and break out my old vinyl. Thanks.

Weams and I (and sometimes others) have a habit of conversing in quotes and song lyrics. One game thread we did fine art.

If you like KC you should head over to the music threads.

Archived