Concerns about Detroit

gmelson26

The same Orioles team struggled with the Cubs. The facts are the Tigers are far better then the Cubs. Meaning regular season series comparisons don't really matter.

On paper the Tigers are far better than the Orioles who are down 2.5 all stars..(Machado, Wieters, and Davis' glove)

This Tigers team is not the 2012 NYY who were old, banged up, and A roided.

I still have faith in the Orioles (not trying to be a debbie downer) but Detroit will be the toughest challenge in the postseason.

I actually agree with the general sentiment in this thread -- the Tigers have sleep-walked through most of this season, and they were the one team I didn't want the Os to face in the ALDS, because they will be incredibly dangerous when they wake up.

At the same time, the Os have stepped up to every challenge this season.

- Back in May/June, Toronto was running away with the division. In the midst of all that the O's lost Wieters in mid-June. Despite that, the Os withstood it and led the division by a comfortable margin at the break.

- After the all-star break we thought the ~25 game stretch of all winning teams would do them in. Not only did they hold their own, but they actually thrived. Toronto had a second surge in that period and the O's still came out leading the division by a couple of games.

- Machado gets hurt on August 11; the Os are 26-16 since that point.

- Davis suspended on September 11; the Os are 10-7 since then, including going 5-1 immediately afterward to clinch the division (and the rest was garbage time)

I think most of us have expected the other shoe to drop at every one of those junctures, but it hasn't. So I'm cautiously optimistic about this team.

We can always pick apart things like the Cubs series (huge dissapointment), but this same Tigers team has been playing for their lives for the past two weeks and the net result was .500 baseball since mid-September.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also heard Weams also speaks in tongues. :)

Yeah, this is a story of a famous dog

For the dog that chases it's tail will be dizzy

These are clapping dogs, rhythmic dogs

Harmonic dogs, house dogs, street dogs

Dog of the world unite

Dancin' dogs

Yeah

Countin' dogs, funky dogs

Countin' dogs, funky dogs

Nasty dogs (Dog)

Atomic dog

Atomic dog

Like the boys

When they're out there walkin' the streets

May compete

Nothin' but the dog in ya

Bow-wow-wow-yippie-yo-yippie-yeah

Bow-wow-yippie-yo-yippie-yeah

Bow-wow-wow-yippie-yo-yippie-yeah

Bow-wow-yippie-yo-yippie-yeah

Honestly, I think we'd win this series with Machado and Davis in the lineup and on the field... and Wieters. That'd be ever better. Missing ALL of those puzzle pieces? That'll be tough to overcome. I do like that we've got some playoff experience now, though... that should help. I don't think they'll be intimidated. Should be an interesting series. O's in 2.

Hi Orioles fans! I am actually a tigers fan, don't worry I will try not to troll.

I think your number 1 concern as mentioned is our starting pitching. Your starters are no slouches but every game on paper they are out matched, except maybe Verlander. Although he has struggled this season he turned it on in September. He did the same thing last year and pitched well in the playoffs. however, the tiger bullpen sucks, I know you have a good one there in Baltimore. I really hope who ever wins this series goes on to win the championship, its hard to hate on the Orioles when you all have been in the shadow of Boston and New York (who suck) for so long.

I look forward to the series. I hate the fact it is only best of three, it makes no sense that it is the one series that is best of five. No other sport basketball and hockey who sequentially use the same playoff format have a 1st round best of 5.

The Tigers would have been my most feared opponents in the post-season, although as they say - to be the best you have to beat the best.

I think my fear comes from our regular season record, although we had good records against some of the best west coast teams when we went on that road trip which I wasn't expecting, but then were hammered by both the Cubs and Rays at times. So perhaps its a case that the Orioles we have now are one of those teams that raise their game to the level of the opposition.

I also feel September stats don't mean much, especially for us - as it has been hard to maintain momentum, especially offensively, after clinching so early and running so many changes through the side to try people out / rest people.

We need our bats to come alive tonight and settle everyone down :)

Hi Orioles fans! I am actually a tigers fan, don't worry I will try not to troll.

I think your number 1 concern as mentioned is our starting pitching. Your starters are no slouches but every game on paper they are out matched, except maybe Verlander. Although he has struggled this season he turned it on in September. He did the same thing last year and pitched well in the playoffs. however, the tiger bullpen sucks, I know you have a good one there in Baltimore. I really hope who ever wins this series goes on to win the championship, its hard to hate on the Orioles when you all have been in the shadow of Boston and New York (who suck) for so long.

I look forward to the series. I hate the fact it is only best of three, it makes no sense that it is the one series that is best of five. No other sport basketball and hockey who sequentially use the same playoff format have a 1st round best of 5.

Thanks for joining the conversation, much appreciated. From minute to minute, I change my mind on how I feel about your pitching. On one hand you're putting out the last 3 Cy Young winners for game 1 through 3. This is a genuine first in baseball. That's scary. This is further accentuated by the fact that for some reason the post-season is scheduled completely differently from the regular season; there's a day off practically after every game. Teams like DET can front load their aces a lot more. Whereas our starters 1-5 are made more for a long haul.

On the other hand, I look at the post All-star team ERAs: O's 2.88 with Det at 4.06. The numbers don't lie. Now our ERA is not predicated by strike outs, but by defense. Maybe Tillman, Chen, and Norris can pitch like a bunch of Cy Youngs behind our defense? These are overall numbers, which includes one of our strengths- the bullpen. I guess the absurd post-season schedule also means we can trot out Hunter, Miller, O'Day, and Britton nearly every night. I dunno. Like I said, at any given moment, I'm feeling one way or another.

Detroit is the worst possible matchup. Then when the Orioles advance, the Angels will be the worst possible matchup. Then the NL champs will be the worst possible matchup.

I wonder if the Orioles lose sleep at night because they are afraid of the big bad Detroit Tigers.

The only thing I'm concerned about is making it from Comerica to my hotel on Sunday after the Os finish the sweep.

I made it.

Sadly, the secret of us winning this series is Ryan Flaherty. We are going to live or die with him. He is the only one with the D to play 3rd and not cost us ball games. We really need him to step up...

I hope you feel that Ryan delivered the D you were concerned about! He was also OK at the plate.

I hope you feel that Ryan delivered the D you were concerned about! He was also OK at the plate.

His D was superb. Shocked we swept them but I'll tKe it. Let's kick some Royals but.

On a side note...

I am staying away from the game threads. People ready to jump off the ledge at every move. People wanted Bud Norris removed throughout the game when he was brillant. Even Roy didn't understand that. Weams even said he wouldn't be able to make it through 3-4-5 a third time (and he did). People thought Britton was "garbage". Man, pure insanity reading those game threads....sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived