Just So We're Clear, Just Getting To The Playoffs Is No Longer Good Enough.

WNY Orioles Fan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've been.good for 3 years in a row and made the postseason in 2 of those years and have nothing to show for it. This year we made it to the ALCS. I think.most were just happy to get this far. Next year, we might be among the favorites to win it all. I don't see why not.

If we come up short again, will there be more anger coming from Oriole fans? Will fans start calling for changes?

:newcry::bangwall::rolleyestf::ohlord:

Remember game 5 of the 83 WS as if it were yesterday. Do you?

Ok so you are saying you just made a dumb post for the sake of making a dumb post.

No one is going to call for changes if the Orioles make the post-season next year. People like winning teams. They don't want to lose again and that is what changing things will amount to.

DD and Buck have long term contracts. If you don't like the way the club is run there are 29 other teams to root for but the Orioles management isn't changing.

Ok so you are saying you just made a dumb post for the sake of making a dumb post.

No one is going to call for changes if the Orioles make the post-season next year. People like winning teams. They don't want to lose again and that is what changing things will amount to.

DD and Buck have long term contracts. If you don't like the way the club is run there are 29 other teams to root for but the Orioles management isn't changing.

Don't get mad because you made a stupid assumption that you couldn't back up. You have absolutely no idea how long anyone's been a fan unless you personally no that person.

What you obviously don't understand is that we're not the team that had 14 losing seasons in a row anymore. We're among the big boys now. The bar should be raised now. I bet you if you ask every member of the O's if just getting to the playoffs is good enough they'll tell you "No." Because they've been there, done that. It's time to take that next step.

Don't get mad because you made a stupid assumption that you couldn't back up. You have absolutely no idea how long anyone's been a fan unless you personally no that person.

What you obviously don't understand is that we're not the team that had 14 losing seasons in a row anymore. We're among the big boys now. The bar should be raised now. I bet you if you ask every member of the O's if just getting to the playoffs is good enough they'll tell you "No." Because they've been there, done that. It's time to take that next step.

I'm not sure that you fully grasp that "raising the bar" above making the playoffs really has no meaning. The Royals just made it into the playoffs as a wildcard team, and few would say they're built win in the postseason. The Tigers specifically were designed for October baseball, and they've been at home for a week. The A's retooled in midseason so that they were starting an ace in every playoff game. They got one play-in game.

We can hope that the O's win a Series eventually. But beyond Duquette acquiring as many good players as possible they're not going to stumble upon the magic formula. Make the playoffs, and hope you get through. That's all there is.

I'm not sure that you fully grasp that "raising the bar" above making the playoffs really has no meaning. The Royals just made it into the playoffs as a wildcard team, and few would say they're built win in the postseason. The Tigers specifically were designed for October baseball, and they've been at home for a week. The A's retooled in midseason so that they were starting an ace in every playoff game. They got one play-in game.

We can hope that the O's win a Series eventually. But beyond Duquette acquiring as many good players as possible they're not going to stumble upon the magic formula. Make the playoffs, and hope you get through. That's all there is.

It's likely that both WS teams will be wildcards. Maybe the take away is stop trying to win the division. Get a little worse, and hope NY gets a lot better.

It's likely that both WS teams will be wildcards. Maybe the take away is stop trying to win the division. Get a little worse, and hope NY gets a lot better.

Or just accept that you can't plan away random.

I get that humans naturally assign cause and effect, blame and credit, hero and goat. But in a system where talent is mostly equal, and samples are tiny anything can and will happen.

We've been.good for 3 years in a row and made the postseason in 2 of those years and have nothing to show for it. This year we made it to the ALCS. I think.most were just happy to get this far. Next year, we might be among the favorites to win it all. I don't see why not.

If we come up short again, will there be more anger coming from Oriole fans? Will fans start calling for changes?

Of course some will. Some may want changes now. I am happy with the season.

Won the East by 12 games then winning the first round of the playoffs. I think we

have to be happy. Yes it's disappointing to lose to the Royals. But I am pleased

with the team doing what they did despite injuries and a suspension of star

players. IMO

Or just accept that you can't plan away random.

I get that humans naturally assign cause and effect, blame and credit, hero and goat. But in a system where talent is mostly equal, and samples are tiny anything can and will happen.

Maybe the take away is to field a constantly competitive team, with roster flexibility, and get as many chances at the post season pure crap shoot as possible.

We didn't win a championship because the FO didn't talk about it as their goal enough ... :D

I'm going to go with the fans.

THE ORIOLES FANS were complacent.

THE ORIOLES FANS did not demand a championship.

If the Orioles fans cannot see that a team that won the A.L. East by double digits for the first time since 1971 needs some serious in-house cleaning because of the fact that they lost in the A.L.C.S., then they deserve every bit of heartache and failure that comes their way in 2015 and beyond.

There is that.

Archived