Just So We're Clear, Just Getting To The Playoffs Is No Longer Good Enough.

WNY Orioles Fan

Maybe the take away is to field a constantly competitive team, with roster flexibility, and get as many chances at the post season pure crap shoot as possible.

It's like playing the lottery, just on a somewhat different scale. The only way to up your odds of winning is to play more often. There is no secret way to pick the right numbers.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get mad because you made a stupid assumption that you couldn't back up. You have absolutely no idea how long anyone's been a fan unless you personally no that person.

What you obviously don't understand is that we're not the team that had 14 losing seasons in a row anymore. We're among the big boys now. The bar should be raised now. I bet you if you ask every member of the O's if just getting to the playoffs is good enough they'll tell you "No." Because they've been there, done that. It's time to take that next step.

Stupid assumption? I was trying to explain the stupidity of your original post away. I am happy we made the post season I will be happy if we make it next year again. I'm will be happy if we long make the post season but are in it to the final game.

It is only baseball. Only one of thirty can win each season. A few years ago we thought we didn't have the payroll to compete consistently.

It's great that expectations are up. I don't really like the term "not good enough." Winning the World Series is the ultimate goal, and any season that ends short of that is somewhat disappointing. You get to the playoffs and hope to play well and have the breaks go your way. Failing in the playoffs does not make the season a failure, IMO. Everything is on a continuum and a playoff season is a good one, but for the near future, maybe not a great one.

Since MLB expanded the playoffs, the odds of the best team winning the world series has gone down dramatically. MLB has become more like the NFL where it doesn't matter who won the most over the regular season, it only matters who's hot at the end. So, the only goal worth shooting at is to continually get better without breaking the bank. You can't really build for the playoffs, all you can do is give yourself enough chances that you can break through eventually.

The Orioles have averaged over 91 wins a season over the last three seasons. Assume a 10 game difference in distribution over any given year (e.g. 2013-2014) within a three year sample and I'll take that any time. Sooner or later the stars will align and it will be the Orioles time to be hot at the right time.

The glass is very much half full for the Orioles' fanbase if management doesn't aspire to be the 21st Century Tigers or Yankees or Red Sox or Angels. A better frame of reference would be the Orioles from '61 to '86.

o

I may be being a little oversensitive here (what else is new), but I feel like the title of the thread is kind of admonishing and bossy.

The "Just so we're clear" phrase preceding the "just making the playoffs is no longer good enough" feels like it insinuates that anyone who does not agree with the O.P. is either wrong, or a wimpy fan that doesn't have the fortitude to "demand" that anything less than winning the World Series next season is unacceptable ...... although as I stated before, even if I did agree with the O.P.'s sentiment, I don't know exactly what we as fans would be expected to do to hold the franchise accountable should the Orioles come up short of winning the World Series next year.

o

I may be being a little oversensitive here (what else is new), but I feel like the title of the thread is kind of admonishing and bossy.

The "Just so we're clear" phrase preceding the "just making the playoffs is no longer good enough" feels like it insinuates that anyone who does not agree with the O.P. is either wrong, or a wimpy fan that doesn't have the fortitude to "demand" that anything less than winning the World Series next season is unacceptable ...... although as I stated before, even if I did agree with the O.P.'s sentiment, I don't know exactly what we as fans would be expected to do to hold the franchise accountable should the Orioles come up short of winning the World Series next year.

I feel that way too. Like even using the word Just. Being one of the top four teams in any season is quite the accomplishment. I say we play the Cardinals for third place and let the chips fall.

In my opinion, only Yankees fans go into a season thinking anything less that a WS title is a disappointment. Like was mentioned, the Tigers and A's went all in and didn't get as far as the Orioles. The playoffs are a bit of a crapshoot.

As long as the organization is doing everything they can to win I could never be mad. It's disappointing when they lose, but only one team out of 30 can win it all. That is all.

And that team that wins it all? Its not the same team after the parade. In fact, they made be last the very next season.

it is all about the money,... money ball, there is no more loyalty,years ago the players would play for the same team their entire career, now just wave a bill in their face and they swap teams,making millions, i love this game, but nobody is worth millions!, for that money, they should not have lost 4!!!!! in a row shame!!!!!!!

Archived