Will DD Pursue Victor Martinez ?

section18

One of them will be as productive for as long as David Ortiz. And I think that could very well be Cruz. For one thing, he adjusted tremendously well to being the DH for 89 games, whereas his previous high as a DH in any season was 8 games. I think that he will be a full time DH next year for an AL team and I believe that his production may very well even improve. Cruz may be someone who becomes a full-time dh with tremendous value and production for the next three or four years easily.

Sure, it's possible. But for every rainbows&unicorns scenario involving aging, plodding sluggers, there are a dozen terrible contracts.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure, it's possible. But for every rainbows&unicorns scenario involving aging, plodding sluggers, there are a dozen terrible contracts.

And without the enhancement that Ortiz has been found to use when his bat slows down, it is even rarer.

And without the enhancement that Ortiz has been found to use when his bat slows down, it is even rarer.

His bat was not too slow this year. Or the last. So I guess that just means you believe that Ortiz was using but not getting caught??? I believe, at some point, that we have to either accept that testing demonstrates that players are not using, rather than just assuming that every older player who produces effectively is not only using but is a liar as well. I am not convinced that this really has any bearing with Ortiz who I believe has been a superb hitter for years or either Cruz or Martinez, but if so, and they can use whatever you say Ortiz does and not get caught for over a decade, then that will be more than sufficient to make our signing them very productive.

One of them will be as productive for as long as David Ortiz. And I think that could very well be Cruz. For one thing, he adjusted tremendously well to being the DH for 89 games, whereas his previous high as a DH in any season was 8 games. I think that he will be a full time DH next year for an AL team and I believe that his production may very well even improve. Cruz may be someone who becomes a full-time dh with tremendous value and production for the next three or four years easily.

Why would you think either of them would be as productive as Ortiz? Ortiz has had one of the most productive offensive careers post-age-35 in all of history. I would assume very, very few players would be that successful.

Why would you think either of them would be as productive as Ortiz? Ortiz has had one of the most productive offensive careers post-age-35 in all of history. I would assume very, very few players would be that successful.

If Ortiz was still having to play in the field from 35 till now, I think his production would be nowhere near what it has been. I think that Nelson getting 10 times more games as a DH than ever before in his career helped his hitting much more this year than is given credit. And I think him becoming a full time DH here forward would similarly improve his production. I believe the same about VMart. That both of them are using their experience as hitters to continue improving their craft and that not having to play in the field enables certain players to focus exclusively on being the absolute best hitter they can be. And for these very intensely proud individuals, having hitting as the only way to prove your MLB value is something that I think guys like Ortiz, Cruz, VMart (and Miguel Cabrera eventually) take very, very seriously.

His bat was not too slow this year. Or the last. So I guess that just means you believe that Ortiz was using but not getting caught??? I believe, at some point, that we have to either accept that testing demonstrates that players are not using, rather than just assuming that every older player who produces effectively is not only using but is a liar as well. I am not convinced that this really has any bearing with Ortiz who I believe has been a superb hitter for years or either Cruz or Martinez, but if so, and they can use whatever you say Ortiz does and not get caught for over a decade, then that will be more than sufficient to make our signing them very productive.

I believe that when he got caught, he figured out a way to not get caught.

I also believe if his rage is not chemically instigated, that he needs to be placed under incarcerated supervision so the public does not get injured.

Again, being a volatile, prideful, extroverted, bombastic, narcissistic personality is not necessarily reflective of "chemical" induced phenomena. Believe me, I see many, many more dangerous individuals than David Ortiz and their problems are usually not due to steroids. If it were so, that would be much easier to correct. Albert Belle's personality was not "chemically induced." Neither was Ty Cobb's. Some people are just narcissistic jerks.

Again, being a volatile, prideful, extroverted, bombastic, narcissistic personality is not necessarily reflective of "chemical" induced phenomena. Believe me, I see many, many more dangerous individuals than David Ortiz and their problems are usually not due to steroids. If it were so, that would be much easier to correct. Albert Belle's personality was not "chemically induced." Neither was Ty Cobb's. Some people are just narcissistic jerks.

I think society should be protected from those people. Maybe their bodies naturally make too much testosterone. Or maybe they have found a way to naturally trick their bodies into making too much testosterone. I believe all the jerks you see have high testosterone levels.

If Ortiz was still having to play in the field from 35 till now, I think his production would be nowhere near what it has been. I think that Nelson getting 10 times more games as a DH than ever before in his career helped his hitting much more this year than is given credit. And I think him becoming a full time DH here forward would similarly improve his production. I believe the same about VMart. That both of them are using their experience as hitters to continue improving their craft and that not having to play in the field enables certain players to focus exclusively on being the absolute best hitter they can be. And for these very intensely proud individuals, having hitting as the only way to prove your MLB value is something that I think guys like Ortiz, Cruz, VMart (and Miguel Cabrera eventually) take very, very seriously.

If DHing really allowed players to hit at a high level much longer than they otherwise would, I think we'd see a lot more productive DHs in the 35-40 age bracket. But in 2014 there were only three players who were 35 or older and DH'd 50+ games. Since 2010 the only old guys (35+) who DHed at least 25% of the time and OPS'd .800 were Martinez, Ortiz, Berkman, and Thome.

I also believe if his rage is not chemically instigated, that he needs to be placed under incarcerated supervision so the public does not get injured.

When you say 'public', I assume your concern is for yourself? I can understand why a nobody like you might be nervous around Ortiz or those KC players who are on the juice. What was is you called the 1969 Mets? I wouldn't worry about them, they are old enough to be deemed safe. Want a few more examples? You are an accident/lawsuit waiting to happen and such a fine example of a Hangout staff member.

Archived