Buck tells 1057TheFan. Orioles are currently working on deals for Cruz & Markakis.

Greg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just disagree with posters who believe that the minute a player turns 30 he becomes a leper. There is no comparison at all between our age profile and that of the two most recent Yankees teams. And if they had jettisoned Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte and Posada at ages 31-32 they would have looked liked idiots. I'm not saying that age should be ignored, but the Orioles' age profile will be just fine for several more years and I think we'd be nuts to exchange good players who have proven they fit well on our team for supplemental 1st/2nd round picks while we are a contending team, if those players make reasonable accommodations to stay here and they can fit within our budget. I'm by no means saying that we must keep all three of these guys but I don't buy the "mindlessly get rid of all players once they turn 30" logic. I'm especially glad they kept Hardy, who should continue to be a very good player for us over the life of his deal.

I do not believe you should jettison all players that turn 30. I thought we were talking about Cruz who is 34, JJ Hardy who is 32. Markakis is in fact 30.

But it is a real disingenuous stretch to compare extending these players to extending Jeter (HOF), Rivera (HOF) Pettite (HOF) and Posada multiple year all star.

Players who do not have HOF talent do not have much wiggle room before age related declining skills take them to replacement level and below.

I do not believe you should jettison all players that turn 30. I thought we were talking about Cruz who is 34, JJ Hardy who is 32. Markakis is in fact 30.

But it is a real disingenuous stretch to compare extending these players to extending Jeter (HOF), Rivera (HOF) Pettite (HOF) and Posada multiple year all star.

Players who do not have HOF talent do not have much wiggle room before age related declining skills take them to replacement level and below.

I know you hate that Hardy is still an Oriole. What was your plan again for SS/3B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best way to construct a team is to just mimic whatever the last World Series winner did. It never fails.

Giants and Royals don't remind me of the 2013 Boston team.

There weren't any good ones. It just makes folks angry that I was right that Machado would no play short stop as an Oriole.

If Manny didn't blow out both knee's, Hardy doesn't get that deal from Orioles.

Archived