Buck tells 1057TheFan. Orioles are currently working on deals for Cruz & Markakis.

Greg

There is no one way to construct a team. There a lots of ways. Three months ago the Tigers and A's were all about loading up on TOR starters, because everyone knew that's how you get through the playoffs. And it could be. But it all comes back to building a good team. There's no secret sauce, there's no combination to unlock the One True Way to win in 2015. It's like it always was: get better players than the other guys.

I have become convinced that limiting your starters' exposure and leaning on the pen is the way to go in the postseason.

But that won't work in the regular season.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I truly believe having two dominate starters (like the 2001 Diamondbacks) in a five or seven game series is a pretty good recipe for success. In a five game series' date=' they pitch at least three of the five and in a seven game series, they can pitch five of the seven.[/quote']

Like the Dodgers with Kershaw and Greinke? Or the Tigers with their three headed dragon of former Cy Young Winners?

Two elements in the equation that should be constant: strong bullpen, and great defense. Give me an OF of three Ichiro's an IF of 3 Machado's and one Goldschmidt, with a Wieters behind the plate. I could win with 2 Chens and 2 Gonzo's for SP, as long as I had the O's pen.

There is no one way to construct a team. There a lots of ways. Three months ago the Tigers and A's were all about loading up on TOR starters, because everyone knew that's how you get through the playoffs. And it could be. But it all comes back to building a good team. There's no secret sauce, there's no combination to unlock the One True Way to win in 2015. It's like it always was: get better players than the other guys.

I agree. I wasn't trying to say otherwise. The guy I was quoting said something like, "Haven't we learned from the Royals?". Referring to signing JJ and looking at Cruz and Markakis and their ages.

It is also possible to construct a club that can win a division and not have the tools to make a run in the playoffs. The difference between short term success and long term success.

It will be an interesting off season, with almost everyone here being unhappy with some of the decisions made, be it age, cost or a multitude of other variables.

I have become convinced that limiting your starters' exposure and leaning on the pen is the way to go in the postseason.

But that won't work in the regular season.

It might, if you have a ton of depth and don't really care about the medium- or long-term careers of your pitchers. The 1970s proved that pitchers could throw 150-200 innings and 80-110 games out of the pen. But most of them would be all over the place year-to-year, or even within the year. And some would, shockingly, suddenly lose all effectiveness and end up working in a sheet metal place in Iowa.

You could just take 10 or 12 Tommy Hunters, 4th-5th starter types, and have them all in line, ready to go max-effort for two innings every couple games until their arms shred. Of course half of them would have to be in AAA until needed.

It is also possible to construct a club that can win a division and not have the tools to make a run in the playoffs. The difference between short term success and long term success.

I don't think there's any real correlation between postseason success and type of team. What is thought of as "tools to make a run in the playoffs" changes all the time, and is overcome by other skills and execution.

If we sign Cruz and Markakis to add to JJ Hardy, we will be locking in an aging, incredibly slow trio of players.

Have we learned nothing from the Yankees?

Have we learned nothing from the KC Royals?

JJ, Cruz, and Markakis should have all been given QO's and we could have added young talent to our core of Jones, Machado and hopefully Schoop plus our emerging strength of starting pitching.

I just disagree with posters who believe that the minute a player turns 30 he becomes a leper. There is no comparison at all between our age profile and that of the two most recent Yankees teams. And if they had jettisoned Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte and Posada at ages 31-32 they would have looked liked idiots. I'm not saying that age should be ignored, but the Orioles' age profile will be just fine for several more years and I think we'd be nuts to exchange good players who have proven they fit well on our team for supplemental 1st/2nd round picks while we are a contending team, if those players make reasonable accommodations to stay here and they can fit within our budget. I'm by no means saying that we must keep all three of these guys but I don't buy the "mindlessly get rid of all players once they turn 30" logic. I'm especially glad they kept Hardy, who should continue to be a very good player for us over the life of his deal.

It might, if you have a ton of depth and don't really care about the medium- or long-term careers of your pitchers. The 1970s proved that pitchers could throw 150-200 innings and 80-110 games out of the pen. But most of them would be all over the place year-to-year, or even within the year. And some would, shockingly, suddenly lose all effectiveness and end up working in a sheet metal place in Iowa.

You could just take 10 or 12 Tommy Hunters, 4th-5th starter types, and have them all in line, ready to go max-effort for two innings every couple games until their arms shred. Of course half of them would have to be in AAA until needed.

Yea, I tried to make that idea work a couple of years ago and you played a part in shooting it down. Even with a full on shuttle to the minors.

Thankfully there are enough days off in the playoffs that the math does work.

I just disagree with posters who believe that the minute a player turns 30 he becomes a leper. There is no comparison at all between our age profile and that of the two most recent Yankees teams. And if they had jettisoned Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte and Posada at ages 31-32 they would have looked liked idiots. I'm not saying that age should be ignored, but the Orioles' age profile will be just fine for several more years and I think we'd be nuts to exchange good players who have proven they fit well on our team for supplemental 1st/2nd round picks while we are a contending team, if those players make reasonable accommodations to stay here and they can fit within our budget. I'm by no means saying that we must keep all three of these guys but I don't buy the "mindlessly get rid of all players once they turn 30" logic. I'm especially glad they kept Hardy, who should continue to be a very good player for us over the life of his deal.

It isn't just about performance and fear of a drop off. Younger guys are also cheaper.

On the other hand the O's do get a chance to pay Vlad 2.5 million this year and next.

That might not be so far off from what the Astros are planning.

Archived