Buck tells 1057TheFan. Orioles are currently working on deals for Cruz & Markakis.

Greg

I remember reading all these same arguments against signing Cruz a year ago.

They still apply. He's another year older, and still useless in the field. He paid off big time last year, but that doesn't mean he'll continue to do so. You can't hit the jackpot forever.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and if Davis has a great comeback year where does that leave us for the NEXT season? What are our long term HR hitter prospects looking like? I'm worried about exposure if we do a 1/10 with Davis rather than a 3/xx

If Davis has a great comeback year next year then we go into 2016 with two recent high picks (from Cruz and Davis) and a ton of financial flexibility. This is a good thing, not a bad one.

I still say we offer the QO and see if he accepts. If he does, fine. If not...that's fine as well. Having him on a year to year basis wouldn't be a bad thing. Now, saying that, I doubt he would "settle" for the QO.
I am 100% for handing him a QO instead of just a firm handshake at the door.

Yeah, this is still the best way to handle Cruz. Hit him with a QO. If he comes back, awesome. If he doesn't, awesome. It's a great position to be in and one I hope DD takes advantage of.

How about instead of dumping useful players, such as Davis, Norris and Hunter, to clear up payroll in order to retain a 35 year old DH coming off a career year, we instead do not sign the 35 year old DH coming off a career year and keep the useful players and acquire a high value draft pick? This would spread the risk around financially, eliminate any risk beyond 2015 and just generally give the team more flexibility going forward. Cruz was a great signing. Let's not screw it up now.

Davis was not useful last season. I don't want him on the team next season and that has nothing to do with whether we sign Cruz. I dont want to see a guy play who is given the whole left side of the infield to get a hit in and instead nigt after night he trys to pull the ball. And I don't want Hunter back. We can getter a better pitcher cheaper

There is no chance either Wieters or Davis is non-tendered.

You probably thought there was no chance that Reynolds option wouldn't be picked up or Jim Johnson wouldn't be dumped for a bag of balls.

There is a good chance Davis has played his last game for the O's.

Archived