O's Claim LHP Patrick McCoy

Can_of_corn

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does this guy need a 40 man spot?
I hope this move signals the end of Brian Matusz's time as a Oriole.
And the long string of potential Brian Matusz replacements begins.
I wouldn't be so quick to count Matusz out.

It was only last ST' date=' that everybody was counting Britton out.[/quote']

Yes he takes a forty man spot.

Last year, Zach was a bad starter. This Spring, he became a good reliever.

Brian is a loogy who doesn't get all lefties out. For 5 million projected.

Young man, you are very wrong about being a bust.

One could argue that Brian never pitched to his expectations as a high draft pick.

But, the past two season, 50+ innings of relief work and an ERA of 3.53 and 3.48 says he wasn't a bust.

Exactly. To qualify as a bust in MLB you pretty much have to not make the majors.

I would give you disappointment.

What, you couldn't find one of those meme-generator web sites so you could post a picture of a middle finger and "Thanks for nothing, I expected an ace."

I forgot he's a Oriole, so he's god in your eyes.

You lost me.

The main reason a lot of us don't think Matusz will be back is his salary. If he was making 2 mil next year I certainly think Dan would bring him back.

I wasn't thrilled at Matusz coming back this year at $2.4M. He's in the top tier of salary among LOOGYs, not in the top tier among performance.

You lost me.

The main reason a lot of us don't think Matusz will be back is his salary. If he was making 2 mil next year I certainly think Dan would bring him back.

Me two. Actually, Brian is one of the 400 best pitchers in the world. Even today.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I definitely see your point with this. At this point, we should make the playoffs, barring major injuries and drop offs. So, how much does it matter who your 4th and 5th starters are in the playoffs? Even your 3rd starter may only pitch one game of a 7 game series, but your pen is going to be out there every single game. Go get the pen arms. 
    • There is an argument to be made that you bring in 2-3 new relievers and make the offense even better. Solve your weakness and improve upon your strength.  And just go with what you have at starter.    Playoffs are largely about scoring and your bullpen anymore.  You hope for 5, maybe 6 good innings out of your starter.  You need your starters to not lose you the game. forget the bigger name closer type guys.  Go after the guys like Nardi and Walker.  They won’t cost you any of your top guys. And make a play for Robert. An injury prone guy but a potential difference making talent when he’s healthy. Plus it gives us another righty and he can play CF at a high level. Maybe you just do something like that, get Mayo and Holliday up here and try to bludgeon teams.
    • The long innings yesterday momentarily enabled him to regain "qualified" status with 70.1 innings in 70 team games. Mid-June Fangraphs has 74 arms keeping the pace.    Grayson lands: 3rd in PitchingBot estimated ERA 5th in Stuff+ 10th in Fastball velocity 27th in ERA 24th in K-bb 34th in fWAR Past 1 Calendar Year, he and Zack Wheeler have the same ERA.
    • Gotta think he's got a good chance at getting selected for the All Star Game along with Burnes and maybe Kimbrell
    • I agree with a lot of this. I think I also should’ve decided the offense of stats of the guys ahead of him. Because other than the big three, the rest of the stats really aren’t very impressive for the remaining outfielders in the American League. I just seems like this year, for whatever reason there is a ton of outfielders with great  offensive production.
    • How many times has an Oriole rookie tried to establish himself while also dealing with being Mooooore than just a rookie. I think Cowser will be fine and I hope patience prevails. Stats aside, I see something. I mean in all his struggles - ups and downs - that "fun" personality prevails. Gotta root for that - right? MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Popular Contributors