Would you Try to Acquire Howie Kendrick?

Yardball85

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want no part of Howie Kendrick, because Schoop right now is a much, much better defensive second baseman and by the end of this coming season Schoop will also be a better offensive second baseman. We do need a real lead off hitter, but that guy needs to be from another position other than second base. To me, Schoop owns second base in Baltimore.

Here is a crazy idea for you. Sign Markakis to a reasonable deal and move him to first base where I think he could become an excellent defensive first baseman. Trade Davis. Let Pearce and Lough split time in LF, and get a Dexter Fowler type guy to play RF and hit leadoff.

Sign Markakis to a reasonable deal and move him to first base where I think he could become an excellent defensive first baseman.

Markakis' only real plus skill defensively is his arm, which would be negated at 1B. Plus he doesn't hit well enough to play 1B. That would be a colossal waste of money... just sign a real 1B like Laroche if you want to go that route.

I want no part of Howie Kendrick, because Schoop right now is a much, much better defensive second baseman and by the end of this coming season Schoop will also be a better offensive second bas eman. We do need a real lead off hitter, but that guy needs to be from another position other than second base. To me, Schoop owns second base in Baltimore.

Here is a crazy idea for you. Sign Markakis to a reasonable deal and move him to first base where I think he could become an excellent defensive first baseman. Trade Davis. Let Pearce and Lough split time in LF, and get a Dexter Fowler type guy to play RF and hit leadoff.

I like Schoop's talent as much as the next person but is there any logic to this?

The Angels have reached an agreement with 20-year-old Cuban infielder Roberto Baldoquin on a record-setting $8MM bonus, reports MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez. The $8MM bonus is the most ever for an amateur player under the current international signing rules.

Baldoquin called his agreement a “dream come true” in speaking to Sanchez, going on to state, “I’ve made a lot of sacrifices to get to this point. I’m ready for the next part of my journey.”

Baldoquin has three seasons of professional experience playing with Las Tunas in Serie Nacional, Sanchez writes, and he also appeared on the Cuban National 16-and-under team when he was eligible. Baldoquin left Cuba in February and has been training in the Dominican Republic. He can play both third base and the outfield, Sanchez adds.

Because Baldoquin was subject to the international signing bonus, the Angels have now clearly shattered their international bonus pool. By adding Baldoquin, the Halos are subjecting themselves to a 100 percent luxury tax on any dollars spent over their $2.383MM bonus pool, and they will also be ineligible to sign any player for more than $300K in either of the next two international signing periods. They can, however, spend as aggressively as they wish for the remainder of this signing period, which runs through mid-June. At this point, because they’ll already have been hit with the max penalties, the only further penalties they will incur will be the 100 percent on any further dollars that are spent on international free agents.

Information on Baldoquin is sparse, but Sanchez lists him at 5’10”, and interested fans

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/angels-to-sign-cuban-infielder-roberto-baldoquin-for-8mm-bonus.html

That equates to 14.5 million and no internationals for over 300k for two years.

I'm not saying give up on Schoop. Let him start the year in AAA and get his plate discipline better. Kendrick would be a one year move. I hate to say it but with Hardy and Machado's injury issues Schoop would see some MLB at bats. If we don't resign Cruz Kendrick could play some first base with Davis playing some OF and DH'ing.

When you lose in the ALCS it's time to make a "win it all" type of move. Hoping that Schoop is going to be better than Kendrick next year is not something I want to have to root for.

When you lose in the ALCS it's time to make a "win it all" type of move. Hoping that Schoop is going to be better than Kendrick next year is not something I want to have to root for.

Since when has that worked for anyone? Seriously.

Archived