2014 #6 prospect: Jomar Reyes - 3B

Tony-OH

Interesting. I didn't realize he was this talented.

Also interesting:

He's an awkward runner with below average speed who the Orioles sent to a running camp this fall in order to learn better form.

They say you can't teach speed. I say that is crap.

Brazilian soccer training includes form running. I have done it and definitely helps an athlete maximize there potential in this department. It won't magically make a slow guy fast, but it does help with efficiency of motion, coordination, and fluidity.

Interesting. I didn't realize he was this talented.

Also interesting:

They say you can't teach speed. I say that is crap.

Brazilian soccer training includes form running. I have done it and definitely helps an athlete maximize there potential in this department. It won't magically make a slow guy fast, but it does help with efficiency of motion, coordination, and fluidity.

Whoever signs him should send Markakis.

Reyes sounds like he is among the best international signs we've inked in years - both in terms of status at signing and early production in the US. I hope we sign one or more of him a year.

Those speeds schools do indeed help out quite a bit. It is pretty standard for competitive girl soccer players in New Jersey to go to a speed school like Parisi - similar to what college athletes do before their drafts. Those schools teach both agility and improvement of running form. In running, all aspects of a runner's motion, stride, arm pumping, etc, need to be in sync or there is wasted motion that can be slowing the runner down. Sounds like Reyes could benefit dramatically from this training but it still sounds like he will be an average to below average runner.

Archived