Jon Heyman: Agent, GM, and His Guess on Free Agents

weams

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather have a pick and find a creative solution to both those needs. Or have either of them back at reasonable numbers.

I don't think option 2 is happening. We are either going to overpay for one of them, or they are both gone. Personally, I think they will both be gone. It will be sad to see them go.

I'm confident that DD will find adequate replacements. I can see Pearce and Lough platooning in either right OR left field. I would not be surprised to see De Aza moved and we would acquire an outfielder. I like the thought of Justin Upton.

I don't think option 2 is happening. We are either going to overpay for one of them, or they are both gone. Personally, I think they will both be gone. It will be sad to see them go.

I'm confident that DD will find adequate replacements. I can see Pearce and Lough platooning in either right OR left field. I would not be surprised to see De Aza moved and we would acquire an outfielder. I like the thought of Justin Upton.

So, we trade from a still weak farm system to get Upton when all Cruz and Nick would cost is money? Bad idea.

Over the last four years one has supplied 3 WAR.

The other put up 9.5.

It's really not defensible to think that.

Last year in an awful year, Chris was almost as valuable as Andrew. You just don't pay that money to relievers. I'm sorry, because I really an huge Andrew Miller fan.

In my honest opinion, if the Orioles want to get over the top, they have to take some of the value off of war projections.

In other words, war is great over the course of a season, but to become a works series champ, a lights out reliever is just as valuable (in a short series) as a good first baseman.

This may seem counterintuitive but look at the two teams that just made the World Series.

They had very little in common. They both had a solid ace followed by some less quality but still good starting pitching.

Jeremy guthrie? Jake peavy? Tim Hudson? All decent but not great number 2's and 3's.

The royals were a pure speed team with little power in the regular season. The giants were a middle of the road offensive team with mediocre speed.

What did they both have in common? Lights out bullpens that shortened games in the playoffs.

Why did we lose to the royals? Our bullpen couldn't hold them and their bullpen complete and utterly shut us down.

Why did we beat the tigers? I mean after all? They had Cabrera at first base and the best rotation in baseball. We beat them because their horrendous bullpen gave the series away.

Again, I understand why war is important and valuable as a tool to judge a players worth.

But Andrew miller was quite honestly our playoff MVP. He was lights out even when the rest of our bullpen was crumbling. He appeared to be the only guy Buck trusted in the pen.

Hunter, o'day and especially Britton all looked shaky in the playoffs and without miller, the burden on them would be even larger next year.

Little things like that can have a big impact that can't always be measured by war.

A bullpen's importance is amplified significantly in the playoffs so year, miller may not be worth it for his regular season war value but if we truly aspire to be a World Series winning team, you have to have a lights out piece in the pen like miller or wade Davis, holland, Casilla or romo etc.

In my honest opinion, if the Orioles want to get over the top, they have to take some of the value off of war projections.

In other words, war is great over the course of a season, but to become a works series champ, a lights out reliever is just as valuable (in a short series) as a good first baseman.

This may seem counterintuitive but look at the two teams that just made the World Series.

They had very little in common. They both had a solid ace followed by some less quality but still good starting pitching.

Jeremy guthrie? Jake peavy? Tim Hudson? All decent but not great number 2's and 3's.

The royals were a pure speed team with little power in the regular season. The giants were a middle of the road offensive team with mediocre speed.

What did they both have in common? Lights out bullpens that shortened games in the playoffs.

Why did we lose to the royals? Our bullpen couldn't hold them and their bullpen complete and utterly shut us down.

Why did we beat the tigers? I mean after all? They had Cabrera at first base and the best rotation in baseball. We beat them because their horrendous bullpen gave the series away.

Again, I understand why war is important and valuable as a tool to judge a players worth.

But Andrew miller was quite honestly our playoff MVP. He was lights out even when the rest of our bullpen was crumbling. He appeared to be the only guy Buck trusted in the pen.

Hunter, o'day and especially Britton all looked shaky in the playoffs and without miller, the burden on them would be even larger next year.

Little things like that can have a big impact that can't always be measured by war.

A bullpen's importance is amplified significantly in the playoffs so year, miller may not be worth it for his regular season war value but if we truly aspire to be a World Series winning team, you have to have a lights out piece in the pen like miller or wade Davis, holland, Casilla or romo etc.

I agree that the significance of the bull pen is amplified in the post season, but I am also leery of the volatility of bullpen arms.

I think the O's (assuming they are contenders) should do just what they did last year. Trade for next years Andrew Miller at the trade deadline.

I agree that the significance of the bull pen is amplified in the post season, but I am also leery of the volatility of bullpen arms.

I think the O's (assuming they are contenders) should do just what they did last year. Trade for next years Andrew Miller at the trade deadline.

Goodbye Chance Sisco Or Zach Davies. Hello World Series. Which we missed, by the way, because our first baseman was suspended.

I think that this type of thinking puts a team in Philadelphia.

Archived