Would you have matched SEA offer to keep Cruz an Oriole?

isestrex

Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?

• Yes, that's reasonable
    • No, let the Mariners have him.

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm getting disillusioned by this board. Beating dead horse after dead horse after dead horse. I need a f-ing break. See y'all maybe when an actual Game Thread is active.

Probably post a song every now and again, because... MUSIC! IMPORTANT stuff.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's the type of guy that the right veteran's committee would put in.  (If he goes strong for a few more years).

Definition: played MLB for parts of 10+ seasons, and a creative writer can come up with some kind of story about them that sounds superficially good. 

Jack Morris got in because he was arguably the best starting pitcher between Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens (yes, they overlapped, shhh).  Jim Rice got in because he was the most feared hitter in baseball among Fenway sportswriters.  Harold Baines got in because everyone (except some other people) with 2866 hits is in.

So, sure, 40 wins and leading the majors in homers in the 2010s could get him a plaque.  I don't even think you need the "goes strong for a few more years" qualifier. He's already better than Baines, and nobody cares about PEDs if you're nice.  Only bitter, vindictive PEDs count against you.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Definition: played MLB for parts of 10+ seasons, and a creative writer can come up with some kind of story about them that sounds superficially good. 

Jack Morris got in because he was arguably the best starting pitcher between Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens (yes, they overlapped, shhh).  Jim Rice got in because he was the most feared hitter in baseball among Fenway sportswriters.  Harold Baines got in because everyone (except some other people) with 2866 hits is in.

So, sure, 40 wins and leading the majors in homers in the 2010s could get him a plaque.  I don't even think you need the "goes strong for a few more years" qualifier. He's already better than Baines, and nobody cares about PEDs if you're nice.  Only bitter, vindictive PEDs count against you.

It helped Morris, that he had a reputation for a lethal arm in post season.

6 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I don't understand what that has to do with what Bonds did between the lines. Who cares that he wasn't liked by the media.

It’s human nature. Some people want the whole package and some people don’t care. If someone is a repellent jerk they will lose some votes. I think that’s probably what has kept Schilling out so far.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

It’s human nature. Some people want the whole package and some people don’t care. If someone is a repellent jerk they will lose some votes. I think that’s probably what has kept Schilling out so far.

Which is why I dislike the HOF process.

Sport Writers, some of which are incredible arses, having the power to keep people in or out.

Some of which know less about baseball than OH trolls.

Sometimes voting no, just so it would not be 100%

21 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

He sure did! 3.80 ERA in the postseason, compared to 3.90 in the regular season. Clutch!

The Blue Jays were lucky to win the WS the year after his legendary Twins performance, with Morris having a 6.57 ERA in the ALCS and 8.44 in the WS.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, makoman said:

He sure did! 3.80 ERA in the postseason, compared to 3.90 in the regular season. Clutch!

The Blue Jays were lucky to win the WS the year after his legendary Twins performance, with Morris having a 6.57 ERA in the ALCS and 8.44 in the WS.

Yea, that reputation was mostly because of one start.

50 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Morris was very good for about 10-12 years. It helped that he won WS with the Tigers, Twins and Blue Jays. One could argue that he was a difference maker with all of them.

25 minutes ago, makoman said:

I said he has a reputation.

He also got the $$$$, based on his rep and success in the post season.

Morris was the highest-paid pitcher in the American League on at least four occasions: 1987, 1988, 1991, and 1993.

31 minutes ago, makoman said:

I had not remembered it that way. Should've done more research. I guess that's what I get for trusting my memory.

Just now, MCO'sFan said:

Morris was very good for about 10-12 years. It helped that he won WS with the Tigers, Twins and Blue Jays. One could argue that he was a difference maker with all of them.

Going 21-6  at the age of 37, surely does help your team get into the playoffs.

I wonder if at 37, his arm was a bit worn out by the post season that year.