Okay so WHO do we spend the money on???

mskrulz

What is everyone's opinion on Aoki?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Aoki is pretty comparable to Nick, although what he lacks in the power department he makes up for with speed. He's older than Nick, but he would make a good addition to the club and we can get him for probably less than half as much as what Nick got - the caveat is that I would only go so far as a 3 year deal for him. Like most good free agents, I'm sure he'll be waiting on that 4 year deal too...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is not Nick Markakis by any means. He does run well, and he needs to because he takes some of the worst routes to a fly ball I have ever seen. He is a typical Japanese LH swinger, who slaps and runs. No power. LH pitching gives him a fit. David Lough is a much better player IMO. Lough is much, much better defensively and has some power.

I disagree and the numbers do as well. Aoki has hit for better average than Markakis has recently (Aoki is right around .287 in every season he has been here). He's not going to hit for power but he's going to get on base, which is what we need after losing Markakis.

We may have lost Cruz but our lineup is still full of big boppers, power isn't the issue, we need reliable hitters who can get on base. Aoki does that.

I have an outside the box idea. Move Chris Davis to right. I was actually impressed at how well he played there 2 years ago, plus he has a cannon. Next let's sign Chase Headley for first, that also gives us a viable backup at 3rd if Machado isn't ready.

I really think Headley is due for a bounce back type season and would fit well with our lineup

I have an outside the box idea. Move Chris Davis to right. I was actually impressed at how well he played there 2 years ago, plus he has a cannon. Next let's sign Chase Headley for first, that also gives us a viable backup at 3rd if Machado isn't ready.

I really think Headley is due for a bounce back type season and would fit well with our lineup

You know what, it might shake out that Davis lands in RF and Pearce is kept at 1st - time will tell...

Headley is looking for 5 years.

I'd get behind this idea if LaRoche was still on the market.

Headley's biggest asset is his defense. Signing him to play 1B is a bad idea.

Headley is looking for 5 years.

I'd get behind this idea if LaRoche was still on the market.

I haven't heard much about Headley this offseason. Maybe he will get 5 years or maybe he ends up signing for a little less since he is coming off a rough season.

I have always liked the guy and for some reason just feel he would be a great fit and also be very productive in our lineup. I think he replaces Markakis production and then some

Unlike a lot of you, I was hoping we would keep Nick on a three-year deal. But with him and Cruz gone, there is a lot of positional versatility among the remaining players (other than Young if he's brought back), with the possible exception of Wieters if he can't throw effectively enough to stay behind the plate. I think Dan and Buck value that flexibility, maybe over-value it.

I had thought it would be pointless to try to sign Miller after his late-season performance, but there seems to be less interest in him than I had expected, and the possibility of signing him is more intriguing to me than it was a week ago.

The lack of activity so far with free-agent SPs tells me that this is not the time to trade one of our starters. If our guys aren't injured and are performing, they probably will fetch a lot more in May, when a few (or maybe more than a few) rotations are in shambles.

may, when

I disagree and the numbers do as well. Aoki has hit for better average than Markakis has recently (Aoki is right around .287 in every season he has been here). He's not going to hit for power but he's going to get on base, which is what we need after losing Markakis.

We may have lost Cruz but our lineup is still full of big boppers, power isn't the issue, we need reliable hitters who can get on base. Aoki does that.

I stand corrected, over the last three years Aoki has hit lefties a little better than he has hit RH pitching. And you are right, he has hit about .287 the last 3 seasons. His 3 year OBP is about .330 which is not great but not too bad either. And I agree he would be a good fit as the lead off hitter. But his speed is the only thing that saves him from being a bad OFer. He does take horrible routes. But you have made me think, and he is not a terrible option.

I really don't think we will sign anyone to a contract for as much as Markakis got a season. We will spend the money on arbitration and guys making a couple million a season. Perhaps if at the end of March if Melky is available they might give him a one year deal at alow number.

I think the message is pretty clear: No long term contracts for players over 30 unless you absolutely have to. Hardy was a have to.

I don't think we have to worry about Morse coming to Baltimore. He is a free agent. He can pick where he wants to go and he's not coming to the O's to DH.

Kemp is not a fit.

DD will add some cheap guys over the next 2 months. Then in Feb signs Morales for one year for a discount price much to Boras chagrin.

We will hear "I like our guys" a lot.

Alvarez will amaze with his arm in ST. He probably starts the year in the minors but is the heir apparent to Markakis by mid season.

Walker hits bombs with the wind in ST and hits pretty well at Norfolk before he is promoted mid year.

DD is about keeping the team young and hungry. Wieters, Manny and Davis are enough to keep the O's pennant contenders into July. Especially with Gauman taking a jump forward.

The pitching is in place and Wallace will have them improve. The defense will be top 3 in the league. The hitting will be ok.

Come July DD adds what is needed for a playoff run.

There is a guess.

Archived