What does Nick's departure say to the other players who we may want to retain?

Frobby

If you look at how many free agents actually accept the QO (very few), I think the likelihood that Nick would have taken it would have been low. But yes, with a draft pick at stake, that market would have been depressed and less amenable to a 4-year deal, IMHO. All of which would have put us at a three year deal, which for $33MM I would have pulled the trigger on in a heartbeat. I think Nick could still have been an O today...

Markakis would have nearly the $17.5 million he would have earned if the Orioles would have taken the club option when you take the buyout and QO into consideration. Why would he not take that?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now I am seeing a possible conspiracy theory. It seems to have gone like this.

1) Os management decides not to extend a QO to Nick because they are afraid that he might accept it and then they would be stuck with Nick for at least one season.

2) Os management decides further that what they will do, to show their "loyalty" to Nick is to make offers in such ways that Nick will likely reject them, and then Nick can get a nice offer from elsewhere that he will be glad to accept.

3) Braves management extends a 4 year offer while Os management goes back on their own 4 year deal, offering only 3 years. Then, when they see it as inevitable that Nick will accept an offer by Braves management, they finally offer a 4 year deal that they know that Braves management will outbid them on.

4) Nick goes to Braves. Os management doesn't have to deal with getting Nick back. And they are more or less happy at the end.

Nothing in that theory seems outlandish to me.

I thought it had some merit. Todd Hollandsworth thought that was how it had gone.

Duquette probably suspected that other teams would value Markakis more highly than even the Orioles' most sentimental offer. So he did his best to make it look like they really wanted him back but not at the Braves' price.

I'm perfectly fine with that, and I'm pretty convinced that this will be a case of the incumbent team having more knowledge of the player than the other interested parties. Free agents who resign with their own teams outperform those who switch teams.

• 3 months later...
If it wasn't all about the money before (and maybe it was), it certainly is now. It's every man for himself next winter when Wieters, Davis, Chen, Norris and O'Day all hit the market. And I'm not holding my breath expecting Manny Machado to sign here long term unless we break the bank to make that happen.

Something ended yesterday. That doesn't mean the Orioles can't continue to be a very good team, but things are going to be different.

I think we're seeing examples of what I meant now. I want to be clear: I'm OK with the fact that we didn't re-sign Nick. But I'm also not surprised at some of the consequences in terms of how some of his former teammates are reacting.

That your opinion of the truth. It's certainly not necessarily the real truth. Personally, if I had to gander knowing how DD has operated so far, I'm guessing he wanted to be outbid on Markakis.

I think he was very kind to Nick with the lack of a QO myself..

I think we're seeing examples of what I meant now. I want to be clear: I'm OK with the fact that we didn't re-sign Nick. But I'm also not surprised at some of the consequences in terms of how some of his former teammates are reacting.

Makes a lot of sense. I hope Nick returns to playing at a high level.

Nick's departure means we don't pay for past performance, only future projections. It means if you are hard to replace, you will be resigned (Jones and Hardy), but if you are easily replaceable at a fraction of the price you will be. It means this is a business first and emotions will not be involved.

Pablo Sandoval trashed the Giants today for not speaking properly to his agent before last spring training. It's ok Panda, the San Franciscans have welcomed Barry Bonds back. You'll get a chance to mend those fences. Maybe you'll be loved in Boston.

Yes, another moronic baseball player who "understands this is a business" yet is bewildered we didn't pay Nick a very reasonable 4/44 because he really wanted to stay here.

Yes, another moronic baseball player who "understands this is a business" yet is bewildered we didn't pay Nick a very reasonable 4/44 because he really wanted to stay here.

Maybe the MLBPA could negotiate a "I can play anywhere I want" clause in the new CBA. When you reach free agency you can sign with any team you want and they can't stop you. The union would have to give up something, like, I don't know... 30% of overall salaries?

Maybe the MLBPA could negotiate a "I can play anywhere I want" clause in the new CBA. When you reach free agency you can sign with any team you want and they can't stop you. The union would have to give up something, like, I don't know... 30% of overall salaries?

Nick had no backup plan. He held out for max value and his neck and production burned him. The numbers are somewhat reasonable if you assume health and rebound. Most teams did neither. I feel bad for Nick, but it is not like he hurt his neck diving into the stands like Nolan. Nick had a run of bad health luck at the wrong times.

Nick had no backup plan. He held out for max value and his neck and production burned him. The numbers are somewhat reasonable if you assume health and rebound. Most teams did neither. I feel bad for Nick, but it is not like he hurt his neck diving into the stands like Nolan. Nick had a run of bad health luck at the wrong times.

The numbers are on the very high end of reasonable. Even if you totally ignore 2013 you have to come to the conclusion Nick starts this deal as a 2-ish win player, and he's in his 30s. Reasonable assumes a 2-win starting point, declining half a win a year, which ends up with 5 wins over four years, or 4/30. And putting the GM in the rather uncomfortable position of explaining why he just paid average free agent rates for five wins over four years when you could go year-to-year with guys like David Lough for a small fraction of the cost and what's likely a very significant percentage of the value. If you remember 2013 happened, and that Nick is coming off neck surgery...

I agree with your whole line of thinking here. Buck has often been quoted recently that Baltimore is now a place where players want to come. That's a result of winning and the culture he has built in the clubhouse. It doesn't take much to undermine that. I agree that Duquette made the proper baseball decision regarding Nick. But he has been a bit of a bull in a china closet when it comes to handling the fall out from letting one his most popular players go. You don't make comments, even if they're true, like "DeAza can replace markakis' production."Nick came up through the organization and played nine years for your team. Also, you don't make a comment like, " he just misses his buddy", when referring to Jones' concern about the direction of the team. These men played together for most of they're careers. Show some respect they're not kids. Some will pooh pooh this argument and say it's irrelevant. But it clearly has had an effect on Davis' and certainly Jones' perspectives. Others may feel the same way but haven't said anything yet.

Archived