J Upton...(Traded to SD)

srh523

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup 14.5m for 1 year too much for Orioles sad but true.

This is an absurd statement. Money alone is certainly not the issue. That has been made very clear by DD. Braves are looking for too high of a prize prospect-wise to justify a one-year rental of Upton. Upton's salary is not the issue at all.

Yes, 14.5 but also young pitching. They are going to ask for Bundy/Gausman. If not them, then pick your next top 3 prospects. It's a lot to give up.

I would love it if they find a way, though.

The big 3 no. But they can have anyone else for him.

Admittedly I haven't read through this thread because I think Upton is a ridiculous name to go after based on Atlanta's asking price so sorry if this has been gone over but...

Why would we want to give up a top prospect for a single season of a great player? I get it that he is good and will make up the offense of Cruz but at what cost for a single season?? To win in this division you have to be consistently good and wait in the weeds for years like last year when BOS and NY are having down years and hope that your team is running on all (or most) cylinders. There is no real "go all out" approach that can do us any good against our behemoth pocketbook rivals so why bank what could be a consistent TOR pitcher over many seasons on a single season when BOS and NY spend and spend and spend so their ceiling is always going to be consistently higher?

I may have gotten off track a bit but count me out of understanding how this makes sense unless an extension period is granted, which it won't.

Admittedly I haven't read through this thread because I think Upton is a ridiculous name to go after based on Atlanta's asking price so sorry if this has been gone over but...

Why would we want to give up a top prospect for a single season of a great player? I get it that he is good and will make up the offense of Cruz but at what cost for a single season?? To win in this division you have to be consistently good and wait in the weeds for years like last year when BOS and NY are having down years and hope that your team is running on all (or most) cylinders. There is no real "go all out" approach that can do us any good against our behemoth pocketbook rivals so why bank what could be a consistent TOR pitcher over many seasons on a single season when BOS and NY spend and spend and spend so their ceiling is always going to be consistently higher?

I may have gotten off track a bit but count me out of understanding how this makes sense unless an extension period is granted, which it won't.

I tend to agree with you. Haven't read much of the thread either. I don't see any possible way.

At least Kemp (agree or disagree on his value) is in the realm of possible.

So.....which do you think would be / would have been the better deal:

- 4/44 to keep Markakis

- 4/58 to keep Cruz

- trade for Justin Upton and lose Gausman or Bundy, plus one of Wright, Alverez, Harvey, Sisco, Walker, Davies, Reyes or Berry.

Can we can sign Upton to an extension? That could prove difficult since he will likely be looking for 6-7 year deal in the $100M range.

I think Cruz or Markakis was a better option. They only cost money, not the future talent.

- 4/44 to keep Markakis

- 4/58 to keep Cruz

- trade for Justin Upton and lose Gausman or Bundy, plus one of Wright, Alverez, Harvey, Sisco, Walker, Davies, Reyes or Berry.

Can we can sign Upton to an extension? That could prove difficult since he will likely be looking for 6-7 year deal in the $100M range.

I think Cruz or Markakis was a better option. They only cost money, not the future talent.

None of them are a good deal, which is why I'm glad the Orioles are going to avoid all of them.

- 4/44 to keep Markakis

- 4/58 to keep Cruz

He's going to be looking for a deal a hell of a lot bigger than that. Think 6,7,8 years at 20-25M annually. I'd set the over/under at 7/150, but wouldn't be surprised if a deal approached 200M.

Yup 14.5m for 1 year too much for Orioles sad but true.

No it's not. They offered it to Cruz. As long as they assess a player's value going forward into the next year and they believe that person is worth the QO, they will offer it. How did you come to that conclusion? Did you want them to offer it to Nick? They weren't allowed to offer it to Miller.

EDIT: My apologies. I'll be a man and admit that I read what you were saying wrong. However, that still doesn't mean I agree with you. If they extended the QO to Cruz for 15.3, they surely could pay Upton's 14.5 salary for 2015, but it's NOT about that. It's about what they'd also have to give up in return. Do you know what that is? No. Neither do I. The only ones who know are the Orioles and the Braves.

No it's not. They offered it to Cruz. As long as they assess a player's value going forward into the next year and they believe that person is worth the QO, they will offer it. How did you come to that conclusion? Did you want them to offer it to Nick? They weren't allowed to offer it to Miller.

EDIT: My apologies. I'll be a man and admit that I read what you were saying wrong. However, that still doesn't mean I agree with you. If they extended the QO to Cruz for 14.1, they surely could pay Upton's 14.5 salary for 2015, but it's NOT about that. It's about what they'd also have to give up in return. Do you know what that is? No. Neither do I. The only ones who know are the Orioles and the Braves.

I find it hard to believe that they would pay Ubaldo 4/50 and yet not go 1/14.5 for Upton. Nick made more then that the last two seasons.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles have not talked to ATL about Justin Upton</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I find it hard to believe that they would pay Ubaldo 4/50 and yet not go 1/14.5 for Upton. Nick made more then that the last two seasons.

They certainly can afford him, but who knows what the Braves want in return. There may be an offer from Dan that they like and are just waiting until the last minute to see if they can get a better one. I just think it's unfair to say that $14.5 for a one year rental, that is going to cost us players as well, is too much money. It's obviously not. We don't know the true price until he is traded to the Orioles or someone else.

Archived