J Upton...(Traded to SD)

srh523

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Admittedly I haven't read through this thread because I think Upton is a ridiculous name to go after based on Atlanta's asking price so sorry if this has been gone over but...

Why would we want to give up a top prospect for a single season of a great player? I get it that he is good and will make up the offense of Cruz but at what cost for a single season?? To win in this division you have to be consistently good and wait in the weeds for years like last year when BOS and NY are having down years and hope that your team is running on all (or most) cylinders. There is no real "go all out" approach that can do us any good against our behemoth pocketbook rivals so why bank what could be a consistent TOR pitcher over many seasons on a single season when BOS and NY spend and spend and spend so their ceiling is always going to be consistently higher?

I may have gotten off track a bit but count me out of understanding how this makes sense unless an extension period is granted, which it won't.

You get the pick so it's not like you just get a year of Upton. I wouldn't have a problem giving up someone like Harvey.

Didn't Duquette recently say there have been no discussions about Upton.

He did. he also said there would probably be no trades. That he would be looking at free agent acquisitions. Before someone gets excited. Nolan Reimold is a free agent. As is Johan Santana.

We don't need the short term upgrade of offense nearly as much as we need long term pitching depth.

You are right here. All this talk though, got me to thinking about giving someone up in a trade, if we replace lost talent via trading. That means additional costs, ie., whoever we give in a trade is additional costs over and above the cost of lost talent we incurred by not keeping what we had. If it is working don't fix it. Again, talent and good breaks win Championships, not money saved by not getting the talent or by letting talent go, only to have to spend to replace such talent.

More for Upton than Heyward? That's nice. We weren't even going to give the same as they got for Heyward.

Why would they get more for Upton than Heyward? Both are one year rentals and Heyward is coming off three seasons of 5.8, 3.4 and 6.3 rWAR while Upton's last three years are 2.5, 2.4 and 3.3. Meanwhile Upton will make $14.5 million next year and Heyward will make $7.8 million. Upton ought to be cheaper.

Why would they get more for Upton than Heyward? Both are one year rentals and Heyward is coming off three seasons of 5.8, 3.4 and 6.3 rWAR while Upton's last three years are 2.5, 2.4 and 3.3. Meanwhile Upton will make $14.5 million next year and Heyward will make $7.8 million. Upton ought to be cheaper.

They had to dump Heyward cheap to make room for Markakis.

Archived