J Upton...(Traded to SD)

srh523

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im not saying they should trade Bundy for Upton ....But how about trading for a guy that we can extend???

in essence Upton is worth more if he will sign an extension.

Trading for a guy then extending him at market rates does not warrant more compensation to another team then just trading for one year.

You also have to take into consideration that we only get one year of Upton. I don't think one year of Upton is worth Gausman, Bundy, or Harvey. Upton is a good player, but not necessarily a difference maker.

So if .280 25-35 HRs and 100+ rbi is not a difference maker? I'm glad your not the decision maker. Plus Upton is only 27 ....I'd find a way to get him wth Norris/Gonzalez, and a couple lesser prospects not named Bundy or Harvey (I dont count Gausman as he's on the O's).and then make a full court press to extend him! It going to cost a big contract but the Os' have to do it sooner or later.

The problem with saying no to every highly talented player who's available is - you know you're not going to field a contender next year. At some point, either you give a little extra and make a deal, you choose to lose, or you have a belief that a powerful deity is an O's fan.

Trading for a guy then extending him at market rates does not warrant more compensation to another team then just trading for one year.

well ...you have his rights and dont lose the draft pick when he hits free agency. Plus you dont have to bid against anyone else and we know the Orioles wont outbid anybody.

Im not saying they should trade Bundy for Upton ....But how about trading for a guy that we can extend???

in essence Upton is worth more if he will sign an extension.

If the Orioles want to package some prospects and trade for the Dallas Keuchel's of the world, or maybe even the Nick Franklins, I'm all for it. But the point, for me at least, is that Dylan Bundy, as he stands right now, has anywhere from 20 to 40m of surplus value. That's without becoming a certainty. The Orioles aren't going to be successful in the AL East trading that surplus value, in order to acquire AT BEST, 16m in surplus value, just so they can extend a player at the market rate. That represents a loss of 4 to 24m in value for the Orioles. We HAVE to be on the opposite side of that equation to have continuous success in the AL East.

Upton WAR over last three years = 8.2

Gonzo WAR over last three years = 7.2

I think if you factor in adding Bridwell and Cisco (the deal I propose) with the fact that you have Gonzo through 2017, it might make sense for the Braves.

That's crazy. Maybe Bridwell, but I'm not sure I trade Cisco for him straight up.

That's crazy. Maybe Bridwell, but I'm not sure I trade Cisco for him straight up.

10 to 15 teams want him your not getting him by low balling them.

Re: Bundy, you guys do realize he's more than likely finished, right? His arm betrayed him. He can barely crack 92 on the radar gun and his other pitches are, apparently, not what they used to be. Trade him now before it's too late.

Stevie should stick to keeping his advice to Kenny Powers...

If the Orioles want to package some prospects and trade for the Dallas Keuchel's of the world' date=' or maybe even the Nick Franklins, I'm all for it. But the point, for me at least, is that Dylan Bundy, as he stands right now, has anywhere from 20 to 40m of surplus value. That's without becoming a certainty. The Orioles aren't going to be successful in the AL East trading that surplus value, in order to acquire AT BEST, 16m in surplus value, just so they can extend a player at the market rate. That represents a loss of 4 to 24m in value for the Orioles. We HAVE to be on the opposite side of that equation to have continuous success in the AL East.[/quote']

Wow ...You must have a bad case of ADD or something. Who said anything about Keuchel (a pitcher) or Nick Franklin and his career .213 in the bigs???

I'm okay if the Orioles give a good player to get Upton if he can be extended. therefore I'd build in a window to negotiate. I'm not certain I'm giving up Bundy ...but I dont think it will take him to get the deal done. I tend to think Gonzo/Norris, Bridewell, and a third lesser guy gets it done as mentioned by earlier.

Archived