Creating Flexibility

Camden_yardbird

A lot of people are waiting for that first shoe to drop in the Orioles off season. I know I am looking for who the Orioles will sign to replace the production of Cruz and Markakis or even to just fill those spots out.

I think before we even get there in the off season though the Orioles need to make a move or two to create flexibility. We know this year, like last at the beginning of the offseason, the Orioles were pretty close to their self imposed salary cap. This year the tendering of contracts to all 11 eligible players and their subsequent salary raises again has the Orioles fairly close to where they want team salary.

Last year that flexibility move was trading Jim Johnson. It allowed the Orioles to free up salary to go out and make the moves they wanted to make. This year I thought that same move would be made by non tendering a player or two, but that didn't happen. What is clear to me at least is that the Orioles need to make a trade before they ever get to thinking about signing any free agents.

My prediction on top flexibility creating moves:

Trade Bud Norris

Trade Chris Davis

Trade Ubaldo for scraps

Trade Hunter and or Matusz

A lot of people are waiting for that first shoe to drop in the Orioles off season. I know I am looking for who the Orioles will sign to replace the production of Cruz and Markakis or even to just fill those spots out.

I think before we even get there in the off season though the Orioles need to make a move or two to create flexibility. We know this year, like last at the beginning of the offseason, the Orioles were pretty close to their self imposed salary cap. This year the tendering of contracts to all 11 eligible players and their subsequent salary raises again has the Orioles fairly close to where they want team salary.

Last year that flexibility move was trading Jim Johnson. It allowed the Orioles to free up salary to go out and make the moves they wanted to make. This year I thought that same move would be made by non tendering a player or two, but that didn't happen. What is clear to me at least is that the Orioles need to make a trade before they ever get to thinking about signing any free agents.

My prediction on top flexibility creating moves:

Trade Bud Norris

Trade Chris Davis

Trade Ubaldo for scraps

Trade Hunter and or Matusz

I don't think they need to trade to free up money. They are at about 110m without the deferred money and they can probably go to 120m. That 10m is probably spent on a bat.

Norris is one of their best 5 starters and pitching is the teams strength. I don't think they trade him unless they get a starter back.

With Cruz gone they can't afford to trade a middle of the order bat like Davis. In fact they need another one.

Jimenez is a bad contract at the moment and there is no market for him without taking a bad contract back. I think the O's bet on Wallace being able to fix him and make his market value go up.

The O's need two experienced set up men and that is O'Day and Hunter so I don't see him going.

The O's would love to find an affordable lefty reliever that can get out both righties and lefties. If they are able to get one then they can trade Matusz. But that is not a move to make payroll space. No at 2.7m

I think DD's game to trade some young AAA pitchers not named Bundy or Harvey for a bat. If that fails he will probably dance with Boras for Morales. Just my guess.

An I the only one who thinks trading Ubaldo this of season would be more of a emotional desk rather than the smart one?

I mean, wouldn't it be worth hanging on to him until the deadline next year. I know Ubaldo will never be the Cy Young winner again. But I could see him putting together 3 decent months which could bump up the value a bit. Especially if a team endures injuries and become desperate. Other than a major injury, I don't see how he could decrease his trade value. I do however think he could dramtically increase it.

Might not get anything good come then, but we know we cant currently get anything good. So considering we just passed on giving two individuals 80+ million dollars, the contract currently isnt a hinderance at the moment. So I don't think there should be any urgency to get rid of him. I'd they get a good offer, then sure, jump at it. But I don't see anything wrong with waiting it out when it comes to trading Ubaldo.

An I the only one who thinks trading Ubaldo this of season would be more of a emotional desk rather than the smart one?

I mean, wouldn't it be worth hanging on to him until the deadline next year. I know Ubaldo will never be the Cy Young winner again. But I could see him putting together 3 decent months which could bump up the value a bit. Especially if a team endures injuries and become desperate. Other than a major injury, I don't see how he could decrease his trade value. I do however think he could dramtically increase it.

Might not get anything good come then, but we know we cant currently get anything good. So considering we just passed on giving two individuals 80+ million dollars, the contract currently isnt a hinderance at the moment. So I don't think there should be any urgency to get rid of him. I'd they get a good offer, then sure, jump at it. But I don't see anything wrong with waiting it out when it comes to trading Ubaldo.

Hey man you never know. I certainly didn't think Corey Kluber was going to win Cy Young this year.

At this point, it's wishful thinking to think that Os management could get anyone of any value for Ubaldo right now. He has a very good work ethic, so I am sure he'll improve with Wallace and Chiti's help, and then he can be of value for the team, and then we won't want to trade him. Who knows?, Maybe Ubaldo can win Comeback Player of the Year.

Archived