Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

So you think Dan is going to go 5/60 for Melky and 1/8 may 2/16 for Morse. Good luck with that. I don't see Dan spending that kind of money.

I didn't say what the numbers will be, but I know he likes that Melky is a two-way player with speed who is a year younger than Markakis, (as he acknowledged while speaking with Bowden). We'll see.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you see him and Buck celebrating doused in champagne when we clinched the WC in 2012? That didn't look like an "executive" to me. Granted, I get your point, and in general I agree, but Dan sure as hell looks and acts like a fan of the Orioles.

I understand your point. He does appear to be happy with this organization.

Did you see him and Buck celebrating doused in champagne when we clinched the WC in 2012? That didn't look like an "executive" to me. Granted, I get your point, and in general I agree, but Dan sure as hell looks and acts like a fan of the Orioles.

I'm sure Dan feels gratified that the Orioles have succeeded under his watch. I'm sure he feels good for the people who work with him, as well. He's a pretty dispassionate guy when it comes to player personnel moves, and he has been with two other organizations, so I am pretty sure that if you cut him open, he doesn't bleed black and orange.

By the way, a bit of history: Duquette was GM of the Expos when the Red Sox hired him away in January 1994. The Expos could have demanded compensation, but didn't, instead extracting an agreement that the Red Sox wouldn't poach other front office personnel and wouldn't choose an Expo in the Rule 5 draft.

If the Expos aren't getting compensation for Duquette - there were rumors that the Red Sox would give Montreal $500,000 - there are plenty in baseball wondering why. Brochu said he didn't want to keep Duquette from attaining his dream job.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1994-01-30/sports/9401290173_1_duquette-expos-brochu

The Orioles never were Duquette's "dream job," just as the Expos weren't. But that doesn't mean Dan isn't grateful for the opportunity he was given here after being out of baseball for 10 years, and won't honor his deal and give 100% on the job if Angelos holds him to it.

I expect Dan will sign Melky and Morse this off-season (as well as bullpen depth0, though probably not at the winter meetings. The Morse deal will be one or two years, but both will be significant signing.

We already know he is not afraid to sign the former PED guys. I think he looks at that as a market inefficiency.

I'm sure Dan feels gratified that the Orioles have succeeded under his watch. I'm sure he feels good for the people who work with him, as well. He's a pretty dispassionate guy when it comes to player personnel moves, and he has been with two other organizations, so I am pretty sure that if you cut him open, he doesn't bleed black and orange.

By the way, a bit of history: Duquette was GM of the Expos when the Red Sox hired him away in January 1994. The Expos could have demanded compensation, but didn't, instead extracting an agreement that the Red Sox wouldn't poach other front office personnel and wouldn't choose an Expo in the Rule 5 draft.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1994-01-30/sports/9401290173_1_duquette-expos-brochu

The Orioles never were Duquette's "dream job," just as the Expos weren't. But that doesn't mean Dan isn't grateful for the opportunity he was given here after being out of baseball for 10 years, and won't honor his deal and give 100% on the job if Angelos holds him to it.

Solid take on the situation.

The idea that DD will not give 100% while he is under contract with this team is ludicrous. He has not gotten were he is in life by acting like a petulant child when things do not go his way. There is nothing to be gained for DD by not doing his job or not doing it well, it only serves to diminish the work he has done and I do believe he has great pride in that as he should.

If DD wants his dream job, he'll do everything in his power to win it all. It's his career on the line.

The problem is doing everything in his power to win it would probably cause him to lose it. If he starts acting petulant or disinterested in his current job why would you choose him to head your team? There have been no indications that Dan is the only name on the list to replace someone who is still under contract.

The problem is doing everything in his power to win it would probably cause him to lose it. If he starts acting petulant or disinterested in his current job why would you choose him to head your team? There have been no indications that Dan is the only name on the list to replace someone who is still under contract.

Kenny Williams REALLY wants the job, for many reasons and MLB itself would have multiple reasons to back his candidacy. After this season is over. When the job will be offered again. It is obvious that the Blue Jays reached out to Kenny first. They asked permission there. Not in Baltimore.

Kenny Williams REALLY wants the job, for many reasons and MLB itself would have multiple reasons to back his candidacy. After this season is over. When the job will be offered again. It is obvious that the Blue Jays reached out to Kenny first. They asked permission there. Not in Baltimore.

I wonder if White Sox fans are questioning their GMs motives these few days.

The best way for him to do everything in his power to win that job is to put together an O's team that goes to the World Series in 2015.

You kind of have to wonder, what's so great about Kenny Williams? He's been the White Sox GM for 14 years (inheriting a team that had won 95 games the season before he was hired) and they've made the playoffs twice in all those years, in a pretty mediocre division.

You kind of have to wonder, what's so great about Kenny Williams? He's been the White Sox GM for 14 years (inheriting a team that had won 95 games the season before he was hired) and they've made the playoffs twice in all those years, in a pretty mediocre division.

He hasn't been their GM for a couple of years, I believe. He moved into a team president type role.

He hasn't been their GM for a couple of years, I believe. He moved into a team president type role.

I do not think that is the case. I read that Kenny wanted to be the first African American CEO of a baseball team. It would be a promotion for him as well. He may be President of Baseball ops. Which is truly GM.

Archived