Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not the point, the point is the Dodgers wanted him. They apparently think he's really good.

And I'm sure the Dodgers had a player on the Orioles they really liked too. Whats your point?

And I'm sure the Dodgers had a player on the Orioles they really liked too. Whats your point?

Was he a catcher? They evidently were getting a catcher. That's what we heard all along at least. Seems like the Dodgers settled for the best deal they could get and for them, as Drungo showed you, it is a good deal. Dodgers win this thing.

The Dodgers' moves are confusing.

Sure Rollins is a stopgap for a year, but was it worth helping out the Phillies.

Apparently they are sending $13M to Miami to cover the cost of Gordon and Haren, even if he retires, they still get the money. Don't see how that is legal.

McCarthy is insurance for when Greinke opts out and Grandal for when Ellis hits free agency.

The Padres obviously can't do that. And if you DH him you're taking the dual hit of positional adjustment, and the fact that most players hit worse when DHing.

We can agree to disagree on what Matt Kemp value is gonna be.

You keep telling yourself that we all know the real reason the Orioles dropped out.

Yes, it's that they didn't want to take on the significant risk of an oft-injured, inconsistent player who will be paid like a star through his mid 30s. And give up very good prospects, too. You have to be very optimistic on Kemp and very pessimistic on Bundy/Harvey/etc to make it look like a fair deal.

We can agree to disagree on what Matt Kemp value is gonna be.

Yes. You're much more optimistic. But I think you're almost always better off with a conservative assessment of a player's worth in their 30s than making the assumption they'll be more valuable per-year in their 30s than their late 20s. That kind of assessment is basically why big-ticket free agency usually fails the team signing the contract.

Archived