Orioles Sign Delmon Young - 1 Year Deal

SticksandStones

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ichiro would have only been behind Delmon and Pearce in BA last year on the team, and 5th in OBP. If you remove the builds, race and handedness, he's basically a LH version of Delmon Young.

Over a decade in an age difference as well, can't forget that tiny detail.

Ichiro would have only been behind Delmon and Pearce in BA last year on the team, and 5th in OBP. If you remove the builds, race and handedness, he's basically a LH version of Delmon Young.

As long as you ignore Ichiro's OPS+ of 89 vs. Delmon's 120. Not really very similar. Ichiro can't hit well enough to be a DH for anyone.

As long as you ignore Ichiro's OPS+ of 89 vs. Delmon's 120. Not really very similar. Ichiro can't hit well enough to be a DH for anyone.

Delmon also had a completely unsustainable .359 BABIP. I'd expect him to go back down to about the 90 OPS+ he's had rest of his career.

Delmon also had a completely unsustainable .359 BABIP. I'd expect him to go back down to about the 90 OPS+ he's had rest of his career.

If that happens, it would be a good reason to not bring him back again. It would not be a good reason to sign Ichiro.

Delmon's career OPS+ is 99. Yes, that includes last season, but it also includes a couple of injury affected seasons before that. Buck did a good job picking his spots last season. We'll see what happens.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> have reached agreement on 1-year deal with OF Delmon Young, pending physical. Was seeking 2 years, but sides reached agreement</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">December 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Whew I thought we were going to lose him too. NICE

Now...who comes off the 40-man?

Well, it is reported that his physical won't be until after New Years, so DD may well have completed some type of trade by then which will take care of the 40-man question. For now, nothing has to be done, since the signing isn't official yet.

Juan Francisco

Kelly Johnson

Brennan Boesch

Chris Dickerson

Jason Kubel

Take your pick...

I had actually mentioned during last years stretch run that Dickerson could have been an asset as he has pretty strong splits. This may have been before we obtained de aza, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived