Feeling very optimistic about the O's.

33rdst

I don't know, maybe it's because the sun just broke through the clouds this morning but I'm feeling very optimistic about the O's today. Primarily because we have a bunch of young players ready to emerge as major league players.

First and foremost is Manny Machado. It's hard to think of him as a young player because he's done so much so quickly but he's only completed one full major league season and is still just 22. If he can stay healthy, and at this point that's a big if, we could see a significant increase in his production this year. This isn't an exaggeration. At age 20 he hit 21 HR and put up a .746 ops. He's just beginning to scratch the surface.

Next is Jonathan Schoop. Many people think Schoop was rushed and are rightfully concerned about his production going forward. Yet Schoop is another baby at just 23 and is just entering his third major league season. Remember he hit 16 HR last year. I look for significant improvment in JS this year. Admit it you've got to be excited about these two.

Third is Kevin Gausman. Still a very young ball player but is expected to demonstrate he has TOR stuff this year.. He dominated the Tigers in game two of the ALDS last season. All this and he's only 23. That's three starting players under 24.

Dylan Bundy is ready for a break out this year. I don't think the club will need him but if we do he'll be ready. At just 22 he's yet another youngster on the cusp of being an every day major leaguer.

Christian Walker. I know DD has mentioned other names more often than his but Walker proved last year, at least offensively, that he's ready for the next step. He may not come north with the team in April but it's nice to know we have another 23 year old that can rake waiting in Norfolk.

Five players under 25 that are legit major league prospects. The O's have their questions no doubt but having these five has to make you optimistic about 2015 and the future.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know, maybe it's because the sun just broke through the clouds this morning but I'm feeling very optimistic about the O's today. Primarily because we have a bunch of young players ready to emerge as major league players.

First and foremost is Manny Machado. It's hard to think of him as a young player because he's done so much so quickly but he's only completed one full major league season and is still just 22. If he can stay healthy, and at this point that's a big if, we could see a significant increase in his production this year. This isn't an exaggeration. At age 20 he hit 21 HR and put up a .746 ops. He's just beginning to scratch the surface.

Next is Jonathan Schoop. Many people think Schoop was rushed and are rightfully concerned about his production going forward. Yet Schoop is another baby at just 23 and is just entering his third major league season. I look for significant improvment in JS this year. Admit it you've got to be excited about these two.

Third is Kevin Gausman. Still a very young ball player but is expected to demonstrate he has TOR stuff this year.. He dominated the Tigers in game two of the ALDS last season. All this and he's only 23. That's three starting players under 24.

Dylan Bundy is ready for a break out this year. I don't think the club will need him but if we do he'll be ready. At just 22 he's yet another youngster on the cusp of being an every day major leaguer.

Christian Walker. I know DD has mentioned other names more often than his but Walker proved last year, at least offensively, that he's ready for the next step. He may not come north with the team in April but it's nice to know we have another 23 year old that can rake waiting in Norfolk.

Four players under 25 that are legit major league prospects. The O's have their questions no doubt but having these four has to make you optimistic about 2015 and the future.

Two points:

1. Schoop is really entering his 2nd major league season. He really just had a cup of coffee in 2013.

2. You listed five players, not four!

I expect a lot of growth out of Machado, Schoop and Gausman this year. All I'm really looking for from Bundy is a fully healthy season where he proves he'll be ready to take a rotation spot on Opening Day 2016; anything he actually contributes to the big club this year is gravy. Walker, to me, still needs to prove he'll hit AAA pitching consistently before I start thinking of him as a potential significant piece of the major league roster. I'm not saying he won't be able to do it, just that he hasn't proved it to me yet.

In addition to the guys you mentioned, I really like our crop of AAA starting pitchers. I think one or more will get some chances to help the major league team this year, and that the competition at AAA to be the first man up will be good for all of them.

Two points:

1. Schoop is really entering his 2nd major league season. He really just had a cup of coffee in 2013.

2. You listed five players, not four!

I expect a lot of growth out of Machado, Schoop and Gausman this year. All I'm really looking for from Bundy is a fully healthy season where he proves he'll be ready to take a rotation spot on Opening Day 2016; anything he actually contributes to the big club this year is gravy. Walker, to me, still needs to prove he'll hit AAA pitching consistently before I start thinking of him as a potential significant piece of the major league roster. I'm not saying he won't be able to do it, just that he hasn't proved it to me yet.

In addition to the guys you mentioned, I really like our crop of AAA starting pitchers. I think one or more will get some chances to help the major league team this year, and that the competition at AAA to be the first man up will be good for all of them.

Thanks for the corrections. I caught the "four" mistake but didn't make the change in time for your response. I really like Walker's swing don't you? I was watching a video of him last night and he reminds me a little bit of Edgar Martinez. Very level swing that stays in the zone a long time. Hope he gets some PT up here this year.

Don't forget, DD keeps saying how much he likes Dariel Alvarez. People also seem to be high on Eddie Gamboa although he would be a 30 year old rookie. Tyler Wilson is also on the 40-man and his numbers look like he may be ready for some MLB innings.

We have an interesting roster with a bunch of guys about to hit free agency but also a decent number of players who look like future MLB contributors. The question is whether they will be stars capable of replacing Davis, Wieters, Norris, and Chen. Between Gausman, Bundy, and eventually Harvey (plus Gamboa, Wilson, and Wright) I feel good about our pitching depth. I don't feel so good about our position players, but depending on where we are in July maybe we can acquire some for our veterans.

Next is Jonathan Schoop. Many people think Schoop was rushed and are rightfully concerned about his production going forward. Yet Schoop is another baby at just 23 and is just entering his third major league season. I look for significant improvment in JS this year. Admit it you've got to be excited about these two.

Five players under 25 that are legit major league prospects. The O's have their questions no doubt but having these four has to make you optimistic about 2015 and the future.

I would temper my expectations on Machado even if healthy. I have no concerns about his D but what he did offensively two years ago to me was a bit of a admiration. He led the league in doubles, was .280+ hitter most of the season, and add you mentioned hit the 20 mark in homers. Although he is capable, Im not exactly expecting that good of a year.

Agree with Schoop. Can't wait to see what he looks like this year.

I'm expecting absolutely nothing from Bundy, so anything quid be a plus to me.

Gausman obviously.

Walker, who knows.

For sure, we know the same 25 players won't play all season so guys like Walker and Alvarez will get their shot. I want to see a full season out of Gausman but he might actually start in AAA just because of the numbers game. It's a good problem to have. No other team in the AL East has the depth we have on both sides of the ball, pitching and position players ready to play this year (maybe Boston).

I would temper my expectations on Machado even if healthy. I have no concerns about his D but what he did offensively two years ago to me was a bit of a admiration. He led the league in doubles, was .280+ hitter most of the season, and add you mentioned hit the 20 mark in homers. Although he is capable, Im not exactly expecting that good of a year.

I am wildly optimistic about Machado, assuming (as I think is likely) he is able to stay healthy. Just look at his monthly progression last year, remembering that he didn't get to play in spring training and only had about a 3-4 day rehab assignment before returning to the Orioles in May:

May: .220/.271/.284

June: .260/.313/.462

July: .333/.356/.565

August: .378/.429/.511

I mean, the kid was absolutely coming into his own as a hitter IMO. It would not surprise me at all to see him post an .850 OPS with 25 homers. Not that I'm counting on that, but I have very high hopes.

I mean, the kid was absolutely coming into his own as a hitter IMO. It would not surprise me at all to see him post an .850 OPS with 25 homers. Not that I'm counting on that, but I have very high hopes.

I totally agree. I could see it. I know he will be great. But I think some might be expecting to much out of him. I just dont think we should be setting the bar as high as the sun.

I am wildly optimistic about Machado, assuming (as I think is likely) he is able to stay healthy. Just look at his monthly progression last year, remembering that he didn't get to play in spring training and only had about a 3-4 day rehab assignment before returning to the Orioles in May:

Come on! I am high on Manny, but those July and August numbers are based on very small sample sizes. Your projection for next year is not totally off, but the numbers you posted are misleading IMO. Manny didn't really play very much in July and August because of suspension and injury. Those numbers are inflated by a super hot couple of weeks.

The Orioles have a relatively weak system right now that is very top heavy. There is a distinct drop after Bundy and Harvey. I don't think he is high on any national lists.

Your probably right. But Walker has only been in our system for two years and he's pretty close. I'm willing to wait to see how he does this year at norfolk. He did well at Bowie last year and while his numbers dropped off significantly in AAA, he still showed some ability. I'm high on his offense and reports say his defense is much improved. We'll see.

[video=youtube;DkE7tgxq0ss]

Archived