A Summary

weams

A

You make a good argument for Duquett's value to the team and the significance of his loss. The possibility exists that, as you point out, that PA could win the battle in extracting top prospects from the Jays but lose the war when Duquette leaves. The problem in all this is that there really isn't anything else for PA to do. Duquette wants to leave. Sure Angelos could drop the matter and just hold DD to his contract. But can he really? What message does Peter send to people throughout the organization that genuinely want to be here if he "forces" DD to stay against his will. Worse yet, if he forces him to stay and gives him more money and power. No DD cut his ties with the O's when he told PA and others in the organization tha he wants the job in Toronto. The best Peter can do is get the most he can from Toronto and hire the best replacement possible for Duquette. Duquette didn't do all of this alone. Buck et al will continue to do a great job. We have to trust them.

I have no doubt that DD would like a raise and a promotion. Could that be with the O's?

We don't know what position Ed Roger will really offer Dan. Is it CEO? President? President of Baseball Operations? When you don't know what the target is then its hard to know if the O's can match it. Its seem likely that Rogers wants Dan for his ability to run the Baseball Operations. The Business side would be a learning experience for Dan and I wonder if he ever runs it. That sounds like what Rogers wants to do himself. But I am dealing with 2nd and 3rd hand information here.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no doubt that DD would like a raise and a promotion. Could that be with the O's?

We don't know what position Ed Roger will really offer Dan. Is it CEO? President? President of Baseball Operations? When you don't know what the target is then its hard to know if the O's can match it. Its seem likely that Rogers wants Dan for his ability to run the Baseball Operations. The Business side would be a learning experience for Dan and I wonder if he ever runs it. That sounds like what Rogers wants to do himself. But I am dealing with 2nd and 3rd hand information here.

Ed offered Kenny Williams President and CEO. Not sure what he has in store for Dan.

Ed offered Kenny Williams President and CEO. Not sure what he has in store for Dan.

I consider that 2nd hand information and I don't trust that Ed Rogers would have held to that offer if it was ever made. Williams is EVP. I don't know how much of the business side he is involved with.

I believe they have the longest streak of not making the playoffs of any team.

Even before the past 3 years the Orioles had made the playoffs a couple of times since the Blue jays. Orioles made post season in 1997 and 1998. jays last made in 1993. They have the longest streak of any North American sports team not just st baseball.

When LaCava turned down the O's offer for what became DD's job, someone on the MLB radio network said that in addition to having to deal with Angelos, the O's job wouldn't pay much more than LaCava was already making in Toronto for a position with much less responsibility.

Oh well LaCava will be shown the door the day DD arrives in Toronto. He won't be able to get a job here that is for sure. Really stipupid to bad mouth the Os like he did. Very limited amount of jobs in MLB. Hard to get one when you mock teams trying to hire you.

As I said before, the Orioles must also be able to prove tampering or the threat wouldn't be effective.

They have proof. The Blue Jays need written permission to talk to DD about a position. They talked to Dan they don't have a written document signed by the Orioles giving them permission.

Bulllllll-hockey.

All he has to do is release something to the effect of "I love working for the Baltimore Orioles. I have a four year contract, and I believe in honoring contracts and you can count on me leading the Baltimore Orioles for the next four years. Period, end of story. Thank you."

That addresses nothing with regard to the Blue Jays, tampering, or whatever.

Instead he says he will talk about it when it's appropriate. Translation - "it's entirely to my benefit to keep quiet and let this play out."

He's letting a fanbase, his coworkers, and employees twist in the wind. Screw him, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you..,

Let me ask you this: what are you must upset about...

Him not saying these things?

Or

Him not wanting to stay in Baltimore?

I never needed him to say these things publicly because I wouldn't expect him to lie. Someone is potentially offering him the King Canada Baseball seat, and you want him to -- when the blue jays have not followed protocol -- say "What?! Me?! Ew, no way... I looooove Baltimore."

Why? Would that have stopped Rosenthal. If it didn't, what would that have done?

Keep in mind I love Dan and didn't / don't want him to leave. But I've come around now to see that it's definitely time. Can't unring this bell.

Had Toronto followed protocol, and had this been professional, and private, we'd not be here.

I consider that 2nd hand information and I don't trust that Ed Rogers would have held to that offer if it was ever made. Williams is EVP. I don't know how much of the business side he is involved with.

Well in that Rogers did not tell that directly to me, it is second hand. But it is what he asked Reinsdorf for. And no one has denied that. So I guess I'll go with it.

Dan Duquette has not publicly stated that he would like to take the Toronto job. Yet it is widely reported that he does want the job and that there is tension in the Orioles clubhouse as a result.

Come on, put two and two together here. It is obvious that Dan has directly or indirectly leaked his interest in the Toronto job to the media. He is not blameless.

The difference between the Orioles and the White Sox situation is that Kenny Williams was apparently not that interested in the Toronto job, even though he seems to have been Ed Rogers' first choice.

Once the Jays circumvented protocol, they started something in motion that could not be stopped. Once Rosenthal lobbed the "Duquette wants to go" tweet, and kept with this narrative, he made sure of it too.

If Duquette leaked his intent to Rosenthal, so be it, but I think that'd be pretty dangerous. And if that was the case, he deserves Toronto and we should under no circumstances try to retain him. The next move becomes: does he quit baseball for the rest of his contract, or do we get top value.

To date we don't know what Dan has done other than say nothing or what he said in December (which is/was fine by me since I thought it was diplomatic yet under whelming).

What we now know about Rogers and the CWS is damning. What we now know about Rogers and NY is irritating.

If you want to be mad at Dan, fine. I am not there. I am ready for Toronto to feel pain for pushing their way in through an emergency fire door that pulls open.

Dan wanting to get promoted is a separate issue to me and I can't fault him for not publicly declining something that he'd rather try to keep private.

Yes, us fans have suffered. Myself included.

Let me ask you this: what are you must upset about...

Him not saying these things?

Or

Him not wanting to stay in Baltimore?

I never needed him to say these things publicly because I wouldn't expect him to lie. Someone is potentially offering him the King Canada Baseball seat, and you want him to -- when the blue jays have not followed protocol -- say "What?! Me?! Ew, no way... I looooove Baltimore."

Why? Would that have stopped Rosenthal. If it didn't, what would that have done?

Keep in mind I love Dan and didn't / don't want him to leave. But I've come around now to see that it's definitely time. Can't unring this bell.

Had Toronto followed protocol, and had this been professional, and private, we'd not be here.

I'm upset at his piss poor leadership. Leadership he's being paid for. Leaders show their true colors in a crisis. And this is a crisis.

Jobs will be lost because of this - a new GM will come in, he will replace folks with his own people. Lives will be uprooted. Orioles employees are worried about their jobs, whether their kids will need to switch schools.

All the while Dan - who the Orioles rescued - says nothing because it benefits him greatly to do so.

I HOPE he leaves. Because he's hurting the team I love.

I'm upset at his piss poor leadership. Leadership he's being paid for. Leaders show their true colors in a crisis. And this is a crisis.

Jobs will be lost because of this - a new GM will come in, he will replace folks with his own people. Lives will be uprooted. Orioles employees are worried about their jobs, whether their kids will need to switch schools.

All the while Dan - who the Orioles rescued - says nothing because it benefits him greatly to do so.

I HOPE he leaves. Because he's hurting the team I love.

Ok. Wow. You are taking it to a different place, and I feel we are in different stages of grief. (Not discounting your POV, at all)

A week ago, I was here:

6. Initial Acceptance

Now I seem to be here:

7. Redirected Hope

I look forward to what comes next:

8. Swooning Over Prospects

I think this is baseball though, right? These guys move and do it often, and get paid pretty handsomely while working in baseball. "It's a business" cliches. Dan is no different, even though you and I may both wish he'd be the Os rock through multiple WS.

I doubt Dan is taking any of this lightly.

Honestly, I'd prefer everything have happened behind closed doors. Listening to sports people answer questions, especially DD, provides very little substance.

Archived