O's Settle w/ Norris $8.8M

TonySoprano

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why? I'm sure somebody will offer Bud 4/50 next offseason if he has a solid year. I'm sure he'd rather have 4/50 than 1/16.
Chen is a BORAS client. If he takes it, he'll be the first. And Scott won't permit that. And when Bud wins 17 games this season he will be set for a QO. He thought he was worth 11 this year.

This is a very risk averse team. I agree that they should offer both of those guys, but I'm skeptical that they will. There's a better chance they offer Chen, but I can see a scenario where they don't offer either.

He definitely was nasty last year, but he's going to get very expensive.

No doubt, but I was responding specifically to the following:

Yep, but with teams moving away from paying for proven saves, he may not have much trade value anyway.

Britton's play last year transcends "paying for proven saves." What I mean by that is that his play was on the level with what the notion of proven saves was supposed to represent. Teams are no longer willing (or are less willing) to pay a JAG (just another guy) who happened to be present for the 9th inning 40 times in a season, but I think they are still willing to trade/pay for dominating relievers. Look what we gave up for half a season of Miller, and the subsequent FA deal he received. Britton has plenty of value still, IMO, assuming some level of play similar to what we saw last year. Essentially the value of nameless, faceless saves may have gone down, but dominating relief pitching, independent of the save rule, is just as valuable as ever.

Britton's play last year transcends "paying for proven saves." What I mean by that is that his play was on the level with what the notion of proven saves was supposed to represent. Teams are no longer willing (or are less willing) to pay a JAG (just another guy) who happened to be present for the 9th inning 40 times in a season, but I think they are still willing to trade/pay for dominating relievers. Look what we gave up for half a season of Miller, and the subsequent FA deal he received. Britton has plenty of value still, IMO, assuming some level of play similar to what we saw last year. Essentially the value of nameless, faceless saves may have gone down, but dominating relief pitching, independent of the save rule, is just as valuable as ever.

Let's see what he does this year before we say he transcends paying for proven saves. Would it have to be a team with good IF defense that gives up a substantial amount in trade? Miller had value to everyone because he struck out such a high percentage of batters.

o

After a player has a sub-par season, they often make assertions of why they believe that the upcoming year will be much improved.

Before the start of last season, Norris explained why he thought that we would see a "new" Bud Norris in 2014, and stated the reasons why he had been largely ineffective the previous season (2013) after the Orioles acquired him from the Astros in mid-season.

It's one thing to make a claim like that ...... it's another thing to go out and prove it on the field.

Norris did the latter. :clap3:

FROM FEBRUARY, 2014:

I posted this article in Larry TT's "The Big 5 Starters ... not so Bad" thread.

It is from last Tuesday. It is in regard to why Norris feels that he will pitch more effectively in the upcoming season than what we saw of him in his two months with the club in 2013 ....... he's ready to show the Orioles and their fans his "true self."

Norris Looking to Show O's True Self in 2014

Righty is comfortable, prepared as new season approaches.

(By Brittany Ghiroli)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bal/bud-norris-looking-to-show-orioles-true-self-in-2014?ymd=20140211&content_id=67668214

The difference in his numbers in his 2 seasons an Orioles pitcher after being acquired from the Astros 2/3 of the way into the 2013:

Norris as an Oriole in 2013:1 4-3, 114.80 ERA, 11.678 WHIP

Norris as an Oriole in 2014:1 15-8, 13.65 ERA, 11.216 WHIP

o

I have convinced myself that Britton's success is dependent on the newly lowered strike zone which is not guaranteed to be present going forward.

Bud had knee concerns after 2013? Some lingering injury. That apparently was A-OK last year.

Where did the article say that ???

Norris stated that he had elbow soreness that plagued him in the final month of the 2013 season (of which he missed a start because of), and that he felt that he would be physically, mentally, and emotionally refreshed for the upcoming 2014 season.

Archived