O's Settle w/ Norris $8.8M

TonySoprano

Other than W-L record, I don't see it. Guthrie went much deeper into games, and had a better ERA relative to the league and park, in the three years I mentioned.

I like Bud's ability to control a game and strike out opponents when necessary. Like he did against the Tigers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't Lake Wobegon where every pitcher is above average. It IS difficult to have five above average starters.

Fair enough. Whether Bud is above average is another question. At best, he seems to be average. With Bundy coming up, Bud should be very replaceable

I like Bud's ability to control a game and strike out opponents when necessary. Like he did against the Tigers.

Bud is a bit more of a strikeout pitcher than Guthrie was in the years in question, I will grant you. He also walks more guys than Guthrie did. My preference for Guthrie is largely based on the fact that he went deeper into games -- 6.35, 6.35 and 6.54 IP/start in the three years I referenced, compared to 5.90 for Norris last year.

Bud is a bit more of a strikeout pitcher than Guthrie was in the years in question, I will grant you. He also walks more guys than Guthrie did. My preference for Guthrie is largely based on the fact that he went deeper into games -- 6.35, 6.35 and 6.54 IP/start in the three years I referenced, compared to 5.90 for Norris last year.

The league wide K rate has gone up and the walk rate has gone down since Guthrie left.

I accept your preference. I like the Bud myself.

The league wide K rate has gone up and the walk rate has gone down since Guthrie left.

Yes, but not by enough to change my characterization.

2007: 6.6 K/9, 3.3 BB/9 AL average, 6.2 and 2.3 for Guthrie (as a starter)

2008: 6.6 K/9, 3.3 BB/9 AL average, 5.7 and 2.7 for Guthrie

2010: 6.8 K/9, 3.2 BB/9 AL average, 5.1 and 2.1 for Guthrie

2014: 7.7 K/9, 2.9 BB/9 AL average, 7.6 and 2.8 for Norris

Relative to the league, Norris is a higher strikeout pitcher than Guthrie, and also a higher walk pitcher. Even though he was a tick below league average in both categories last year, he's much closer to the league average than Guthrie was. (P.S., the league averages I gave are for all pitchers, not just starters. I'm sure the K rates for starters are a bit lower.)

You know, Guthie is long gone.

Glad he was here, but you know, at the end of the day, it is what it is.

I like Bud, and I understand, not everybody likes him.

I think some are too hard on him, and yes, some over evaluate the dude.

Bud was one of the 4 selected to start in the playoffs, so it's clear that Buck believes in the guy and wants him in his clubhouse. Until the time, they can find something better.

DD was able to work a deal that the club was okay with, great, more power to him.

Archived